Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570507 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3000 on: July 23, 2015, 02:32:06 pm »

Oh is that what's going on? I just thought burgeoning was complete shit because the plants were hostile to me. Heh
Yeah, it's a persistent bug that seems to keep popping back up in weird ways.  Burgeoning is one of the abilities that is most affected by it.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: July 23, 2015, 02:35:12 pm »

When you recruit allies with Beguiling or Proselytizing, they seem to move really slowly and it's annoying.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: July 23, 2015, 02:52:35 pm »

Bug: Recycling suit doesn't seem to work.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: July 23, 2015, 03:40:54 pm »

Anyone have any advice for someone starting out? That's not in the help section. My highest level guy so far is 5 so I'm not doing that well

I've found being a Warden to be the best starting melee class, especially with Carapace and maybe a couple other defense mutations. Having a shield helps quite a bit and the sword skill tree thingy is fairly versatile compared to the others.

Warden is good. For a nice easy starting build I'd go with average stats all around, and Regeneration, Light Manipulation, and maybe Electrical Generation. Gives you some nice combat mutations and the ability to ditch the torch. Having a proper Shield or secondary weapon is quite handy at the start. Beguiling can be nice as well, since you can charm various critters into following you and being meat shields.

Oh, and get a ranged weapon. Gun if you can, bow if not. Always attack wall plants at range unless you have no choice. The possible damage & effects from them isn't worth it and they can't hurt you at range.

Also, if you step on a young ivory STOP and heal before doing much else (unless you're in combat). Regeneration will save you from the bleed but you can be badly hurt and easy prey to whatever else you run into. In fact, a good rule of thumb early on is to always rest up and heal before moving on to new rooms. It is easy to die if you're below green health no matter how effective you are in combat.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: July 23, 2015, 05:30:00 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I haven't actually tried anything other than melee orientated class so thanks for the tips. Also I've found that salt hoppers are really good to level up on. I just hit them a few times, run away and rinse, repeat. Then when they die I instantly level up.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: July 23, 2015, 07:31:12 pm »

[SteamQud July 23, 2015]
*More garbage carnage for the heapgod
*Added a memory-usage check & warn that will show a warning as you approach 3gb of memory use, so you can save and relaunch the game, instead of heap crashing
*Reduced a pretty horrifying amount of heap thrash on the inventory screen
*Added some more tiles
*Fixed Sunder Mind's damage scaling past level 10
*Fixed a few player-self-hostility bugs
*Fixed pig tile
*Save management now support "D" for delete as well

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: July 23, 2015, 08:12:46 pm »

Anyone have any advice for someone starting out? That's not in the help section. My highest level guy so far is 5 so I'm not doing that well
Play a mutant with at least 18 toughness (so you have a warning before something kills you), lots of escape options, and at least one heavy-hitting offensive power.

Good mutations for escape options include:

* Sleeping gas (it doesn't affect everything, but it's wonderful against the stuff it affects.)
* Force Wall (use it to wall off dangerous things so they can't reach you.)
* Force Bubble
* Teleportation
* Phasing

Good mutations for offense include:

* The burning / freezing hand mutations
* Light manipulation
* All the stinger mutations.
* Electrical generation
* Sunder mind
* Pyro / Cryokinesis

Also, it might help to play an apostle and use Proselytize to ensure you always have a companion.  It works on almost everything.  Watervine farmers are pretty good companions early on.

When you encounter a new enemy, look at them to see how tough they are.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: July 23, 2015, 09:06:16 pm »

In the most recent version, at least in icon mode, pyrokinesis / cryokinesis are causing some very weird graphical distortions to all characters to the right of the field (they make it flicker to the left and display the characters rather than the icons.)

My character had high-level clairvoyance capable of revealing the whole map.  Not sure if that had anything to do with it (I was testing the changes to Sunder Mind when I came across this, so I cheat-leveled the character to level 25.)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: July 23, 2015, 11:02:24 pm »

It seems the latest build broke the inventory screen. If my inventory has enough items that I need to scroll down through the list, the items won't actually scroll. So I'm stuck on the upper half of my inventory screen.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: July 23, 2015, 11:04:07 pm »

It seems the latest build broke the inventory screen. If my inventory has enough items that I need to scroll down through the list, the items won't actually scroll. So I'm stuck on the upper half of my inventory screen.

Make sure you verify client files so you're on the very latest. I posted a fix for that. I've got some bug where turns aren't incrementing properly, I'd really like a log if someone can reproduce that.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: July 23, 2015, 11:09:41 pm »

Nevermind, have it resolved. Fix going up in a minute.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: July 23, 2015, 11:12:24 pm »

Make sure you verify client files so you're on the very latest. I posted a fix for that.

Ah, my bad.

Gotta keep an eye out for those stealth updates.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: July 23, 2015, 11:13:22 pm »

Make sure you verify client files so you're on the very latest. I posted a fix for that.

Ah, my bad.

Gotta keep an eye out for those stealth updates.

A patch a minute for us badcoders.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: July 24, 2015, 05:29:58 am »

Can anyone advise me on how do you disable updates on Steam? It's impossible to play this past the very beginning when I get save incompatibility every other day.
Unless it's a bug of some sorts. Heck, just now I got save incompatibility without even exiting the client (just on save and reload).

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: July 24, 2015, 05:59:11 am »

Can anyone advise me on how do you disable updates on Steam? It's impossible to play this past the very beginning when I get save incompatibility every other day.
Unless it's a bug of some sorts. Heck, just now I got save incompatibility without even exiting the client (just on save and reload).
I also want to know this
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 250