Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570522 times)

klaufir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2865 on: June 09, 2015, 02:19:21 pm »

Really glad this is alive again! Do you plan to continue development after the Steam release?

I played the hell out of this game a year ago, such a unique world.
How is it possible to participate in the private beta?

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: June 09, 2015, 03:06:45 pm »

Really glad this is alive again! Do you plan to continue development after the Steam release?

I played the hell out of this game a year ago, such a unique world.
How is it possible to participate in the private beta?

Yes, though it'll continue to be a longish term tinker project, as it always has been, sort of a playground to try outrageous/weird stuff that might not be quite ready for prime time; we'll continue to work on it alongside other new projects.

I give out keys on my twitter ocassionally: https://twitter.com/unormal

raler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: June 18, 2015, 06:41:40 pm »

How do you play the non fighter true men ???

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: June 18, 2015, 08:13:13 pm »

Fired this up again a few days ago. Man, I'd forgotten how good this game is!

I'd love to see a more squad/party focused version of the game. Or at least a way to do more with followers that you get via Beguile or Proselytize. You know, things like actually equip them with loot or give them orders.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

raler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: June 18, 2015, 08:45:25 pm »

Fired this up again a few days ago. Man, I'd forgotten how good this game is!

I'd love to see a more squad/party focused version of the game. Or at least a way to do more with followers that you get via Beguile or Proselytize. You know, things like actually equip them with loot or give them orders.
You can do that with dominate

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: June 19, 2015, 12:05:25 am »

Sure, but that's not exactly the same thing.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: June 19, 2015, 12:24:34 am »

Sure, but that's not exactly the same thing.

I really want to make a roguelike around party-based combat ala baldur's gate; but it's sort of a different game. I agree some more granularity around orders would be fun, though.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: June 19, 2015, 06:59:00 pm »

That would be cool.

What would be really awesome would be a party based game using a tactical system like Fallout Tactics. For all that game's flaws the combat in it was a great deal of fun.
Come play Mafia with us!

eeviac

• Bay Watcher
  • Seven
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: June 19, 2015, 09:37:46 pm »

With Sproggiwood on mobile, are there plans for this to get ported too? I don't care if the controls are a little awkward (see: connectbot+hacker's keyboard), I'll pay good money for proper roguelikes on my phone.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: June 19, 2015, 09:45:14 pm »

With Sproggiwood on mobile, are there plans for this to get ported too? I don't care if the controls are a little awkward (see: connectbot+hacker's keyboard), I'll pay good money for proper roguelikes on my phone.

It's looking less impossible as time goes on. I could even get it to play with a bluetooth keyboard pretty easily on Android. However, the memory and storage usage is huge for mobile, I'd have to do some serious refactoring to jam it into today's mobile devices. From a strict technical standpoint I could run an android build right now and it'd run as long as your device had like 4GB of ram and a keyboard.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: June 20, 2015, 01:37:09 am »

There seems to be a bug with monsters attacking up staircases.  Specifically, I'm getting attacked by monsters on a different vertical level while standing exactly two spaces away from the stairs  (rather than on top of them, the way it's supposed to work.)  I'm not sure if it's a general "monsters-can-attack-through-floors" bug or what.  I haven't seen this bug before, so I'm not sure when it appeared.

EDIT:  Also, I really, really suggest fixing the "looking at yourself or an ally makes you hostile to your own faction" bug before the Steam release.  I don't know the underlying code, so I can't say for sure, but I assume it wouldn't be too difficult, and that bug is unbelievably nasty for certain builds (especially if you combine Temporal Fugue with other allies of any sort, or if you use Burgeoning at all.)  It tends to happen eventually, since all it takes is one careless 'enter' while looking to irrevocably leave you hostile to yourself.

If the bug can't be fixed in any other way, perhaps a config option to remove the ability to target stuff via 'look'?  There's already a "select target" option, and while presumably you can still cause the bug by hitting yourself with that, you're less likely to do so by accident (since I think the problem is caused when I use 'look' to check the health of an ally, then make the mistake of hitting 'enter' -- I don't want to be able to accidentally target allies while looking at them if it's going to cause this bug!)

Also, while mostly-unrelated, if you have both Beguiling and Proselytize, an older ally recruited using one will continue to attack a newly-recruited ally using the other.  This wears off if you leave the area, unlike the 'hostile to own faction' bug, and happens even if you aren't yet hostile to your own faction.

(Oddly, it seems that hostility to your own faction doesn't cause Beguiling / Proselytize allies to attack each other, though it does make Burgeoning plants attack each other and makes Temporal Fugue copies attack any other allies you have.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 02:44:12 am by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: June 21, 2015, 10:57:44 am »

EDIT:  Also, I really, really suggest fixing the "looking at yourself or an ally makes you hostile to your own faction" bug before the Steam release.  I don't know the underlying code, so I can't say for sure, but I assume it wouldn't be too difficult, and that bug is unbelievably nasty for certain builds (especially if you combine Temporal Fugue with other allies of any sort, or if you use Burgeoning at all.)  It tends to happen eventually, since all it takes is one careless 'enter' while looking to irrevocably leave you hostile to yourself.

Laugh, yeah, I'll see if I can get that fixed tonight. Looks like our EA date is penciled in on July 15th!

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: June 24, 2015, 09:25:35 am »

GG
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 09:32:42 am by Crazy Horse »

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: July 05, 2015, 09:00:46 am »

Thanks for the fix for the hostile-to-own-faction bug!

I've been playing the latest version, and I've been hitting a new bug where messages stop arriving (that is, the message window doesn't show anything new, both in the sidepane and the full message history.)  Shutting the game down entirely and reloading fixes it.  Just quitting to the menu without shutting the game down does not, so maybe it's some weird memory issue.  I don't know what's causing it and can't reproduce it reliably, though.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 09:02:28 am by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: July 05, 2015, 09:17:53 am »

Thanks for the fix for the hostile-to-own-faction bug!

I've been playing the latest version, and I've been hitting a new bug where messages stop arriving (that is, the message window doesn't show anything new, both in the sidepane and the full message history.)  Shutting the game down entirely and reloading fixes it.  Just quitting to the menu without shutting the game down does not, so maybe it's some weird memory issue.  I don't know what's causing it and can't reproduce it reliably, though.

Ah, I'll post a hot fix for that tonight. Probably hitting 'r'eload would fix it when it happens.

e: Fix posted
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 09:49:50 am by unormal »
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 250