Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570560 times)

dfTruF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2835 on: May 15, 2015, 07:05:12 am »

Wow, that's awesome.  People who have never and will never contribute anything useful to the world, telling others how they ought to be able to do their jobs.  After unormal has basically given the original version of Qud out as a gift.

Do you suggest something for some particular person or just say it for the wind?
For example in my case, I have big will to contribute something useful to the world. I have programmed 2d game, with more complex graphics, which uses a lot more universal functions (independent from .net and glsl), than Caves of Qud.

http://metod.co.nr
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 07:19:32 am by dfTruF »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: May 15, 2015, 07:28:57 am »

Seriously, you may have found one of the few cases that the graphical mode doesn't work. For a game this old, I think it's unreasonable to implicitly call the programmer unprofessional based on so short an exchange with them. You're coming across as if it's your right to have a video game supported for you when using ancient hardware that really doesn't sound like it was meant to support games on it.

It also sounds like you're providing input on a subject I am not sure you understand very well, given none of us except unormal knows how his game renders art assets, and maybe not even then if he was using an older code library with his own workarounds to get things working. Even then the game renders fine in console mode, so it's not as though it is unplayable.

Frustration can be understandable, but don't take it out on the programmer when it's over something minor that he might be able to fix with time. The game is at least five years old as is, and they're still working on ensuring it can work.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Caves of Qud in openGL mode
« Reply #2837 on: May 15, 2015, 07:34:56 am »

The problem is they're both OpenGL 2.0 only chipsets (The ATI 9000 was released in 2002 and the set in the thinkpad in 2003-2004 I think?). I'm using a blending mode OpenGL 2.0 doesn't support. The console mode will work fine, though. Sorry about that! It's just a side effect of just the way I wrote the code.

I think that this kind of "problem" shouldn't be really a problem for experienced programmer, to change few graphical functions into more universal ones (more independent from politics and marketing). Especially when we talk about 2d game, with very simple tileset display. Pixels are just pixels.
I believe this game was a hobby project. I doubt unormal has either the staff or time to test every edge case with every piece of outdated junk someone may be trying to use.

So how about I authorize you a refund? Oh right, the game is free.

So I guess you're out of luck until you update to something made in the last decade huh?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: May 15, 2015, 07:39:49 am »

Probably using a newer open gl implementation than DF...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2839 on: May 15, 2015, 07:41:38 am »

Probably using a newer open gl implementation than DF...
I tried playing this game on both my apple IIe and my tandy 1000 and it won't even start up! What a piece of crap your game is!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud in openGL mode
« Reply #2840 on: May 15, 2015, 08:00:28 am »

So I guess you're out of luck until you update to something made in the last decade huh?
I would be more upset with your first-world rant, if we didn't already know the game works fine in console mode.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

dfTruF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: May 15, 2015, 08:09:41 am »

I tried playing this game on both my apple IIe and my tandy 1000 and it won't even start up! What a piece of crap your game is!

1983 is not 2003.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: May 15, 2015, 08:23:54 am »

to change few graphical functions into more universal ones (more independent from politics and marketing)

Huh?

Do you suggest something for some particular person or just say it for the wind?
For example in my case, I have big will to contribute something useful to the world. I have programmed 2d game, with more complex graphics, which uses a lot more universal functions (independent from .net and glsl), than Caves of Qud.

http://metod.co.nr

Is that seriously the game you want to present to us? Especially as evidence of more complex graphics? It's a good first effort, but it's not even close to something I would say is made by an "experienced programmer".

Your computer is old. Really old. You were already told that in the thread regarding your problems playing DF. You can't expect people to still support your computer. If games still work on your computer, then good for you, but you are going to find that you can run less and less of them as time passes.

1983 is not 2003.

As far as computing is concerned, 2003 is ancient history.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2843 on: May 15, 2015, 08:31:58 am »

I would be more upset with your first-world rant, if we didn't already know the game works fine in console mode.
You have to live in a first world country to have hardware made this decade? I wasn't aware. I apologize for any offense you may have taken. I'm glad the game works for you in console mode.

The point of my post was that it is unrealistic to expect software written a decade after your hardware was manufactured to work perfectly.

1983 is not 2003.
Google hyperbole

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: May 15, 2015, 08:39:24 am »

As far as computing is concerned, 2003 is ancient history.
Actually, it's not. It's more like the 1930s. Almost all the basic tech was there (just as with cars, radio and airplanes) but it wasn't very good. Just like a contemporary of the 1930, a 2003 computer can understand (run) most of the basic stuff made today, in a way that an 80s (or, let's face it, early- and mid-nineties) computers do not and can not. dfTruF can (shouldn't but can) expect things to run on his old laptop, because the majority (dare I say absolute majority?) actually do run.
And so does this game. In console mode. Tough luck, but it proves the point- 2003 is fundamentally in the same era as 2013, or whenever Caves were made)

edits: 2010. Is the year when Caves of Qud was released according to rogueBasin. About at this time of year, too. Which I understand proves nothing, expect that it's at least five years old.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 08:50:03 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: May 15, 2015, 09:37:48 am »

It's called Obsolescence and it happens quickly with computers. You are a fool if you think a programmer is going to support hard/software that is over 10 years old.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: May 15, 2015, 09:46:22 am »

I was just not thinking particularly hard about legacy system support when I wrote that code. What shipped was just my initial toy proof of concept that happened to work on the hardware I happened to have in the house. It was essentially just a weekend throw-in test that came much later after the original ship-date of Qud, which had shipped initially with console support only. I haven't since spent the energy to get my hands on a set of hardware that fails in that way so that I can refactor the code into something that provably works on older hardware. Mea culpa! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:49:47 am by unormal »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2847 on: May 15, 2015, 09:47:52 am »

I was just not thinking particularly hard about legacy system support when I wrote that code. What shipped was just my initial toy proof of concept that happened to work on the hardware I happened to have in the house. I haven't since spent the energy to get my hands on a set of hardware that fails in that way so that I can refactor the code into something that provably works on older hardware. Mea culpa! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well I demand that you immediately make this work on my atari 2600!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: May 15, 2015, 09:50:41 am »

It's called Obsolescence and it happens quickly with computers. You are a fool if you think a programmer is going to support hard/software that is over 10 years old.
And yet, he does. I'm not saying it's his duty, I'm not even saying it's on purpose. The reason is simple- we have better, more unified standarts and the speed at which they change is an order of maginutede slower than the chaos of the 90s-2000s "digital revolution".

I assure you, that even so much as launching a game made in 2005 was impossible in 1993, whereas now it's just missing a shader ( or "blender", I don't know jack from graphics).

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: May 15, 2015, 09:51:48 am »

I was just not thinking particularly hard about legacy system support when I wrote that code. What shipped was just my initial toy proof of concept that happened to work on the hardware I happened to have in the house. I haven't since spent the energy to get my hands on a set of hardware that fails in that way so that I can refactor the code into something that provably works on older hardware. Mea culpa! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well I demand that you immediately make this work on my atari 2600!

Just need to bug Unity for an Atari 2600 exporter!

I suspect the Steam version might work properly on this set of older cards, as long as they support shader model 2, but (still) I don't have the hardware to test it.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 250