Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570764 times)

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2640 on: November 03, 2014, 08:09:55 am »

No reason to think the game won't continue and still very much be The Game---just a matter of time and circumstance.  The excellence of Sproggiwood hopefully doing great things for unormal and the team only serves to bolster the lot of it.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: November 03, 2014, 10:40:39 am »

So.  I just had an idea for metamorphosis that would both fix the infinite bit fountain and make it potent but not horribly abusable. I think. Would make it a five point must though.

Each level of metamorphosis, you get a new scan creature command. This would be either touch range or long distance, but I think long distance would be nicer, as it would let weaker characters physically use the skill. After using it, it would replace the command with a transform into x command. This would give you access to the new body form and whatever MIT's and skills it has. But not equipment. You keep your inventory. So, now you have an equimax form, which you can equip from your inventory. As you level up, actual levels and not mutation, all your forms gain levels as well. This gives you options, such as turning into a smart for to gain access to tinker, or a for with multiple legs to run away. The balance is that all the skills would share a cool down, and it would be long. Like, double the current cool down minimum. So, you wouldn't be able yo rapid fire switch skills and mutation sets, as it would incur a hefty food cost even if you waited it out in safety. Oh, and it should share health and food meters, but perhaps heal you somewhat when you change.

Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: November 03, 2014, 04:33:09 pm »

That's an amazing love note to the game, thank you.

Deserved or not, at least know we have as much love for the crazy game as you guys. One reason we set it aside instead of just throwing out content isn't a lack of interest but just a desire to make sure when we DO add content it meets our (and your) standards. Its easy to throw in the kitchen sink, but to reach the level of authenticity that we really enjoy is a lot of (mostly behind the scenes) labor.

E: Ultimately after 7 years we had completed a miniscule portion of the 'original vision' which was a vast (and naive) hunk to try to hack off in a single unrelenting push. So we stepped back and said 'Man we bit off the work of several lifetimes without really being prepared here. If we want to make a serious go at a complete game of this scale we have some preliminary years of work and experience to prepare.' So were working through it!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 05:59:59 pm by unormal »

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: November 07, 2014, 05:56:07 am »

You can already get infinite bits pretty easily with Metamorphisis and Temporal Fugue, but that's expensive and not really all that powerful, compared to picking combat mutations instead.
Metamorphisis isn't completed yet, anyway, is it?  It's currently only available if you enable the "incomplete" stuff, presumably because it clearly has a bunch of issues (for one thing, it doesn't care about level yet, and for another, it duplicates everything your target is carrying -- permanently, if you drop the stuff before it wears off.)  It's fun to fool around with, but it's not yet ready for actual play.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: November 12, 2014, 06:05:47 pm »

Check it out, I've got it running fairly nicely inside a Unity framework now. That means, initially, Mac & Linux support, and a much more powerful framework than my hand-rolled base engine for potential future additions like Steamworks, tiles, sound/music, etc.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: November 12, 2014, 08:23:09 pm »

Very nice news indeed.

I must say, though, while I'm generally the sort of plebian that prefers tiles for my roguelikes it's hard to imagine a tileset that could do the world of Caves of Qud justice.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2646 on: November 12, 2014, 08:51:06 pm »

DEATH TO THE TILE USERS! ASCII SHALL REIGN SUPREME FOREVER!

Linux support sounds real nice, though.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: November 12, 2014, 09:35:23 pm »

ANDROID

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: November 12, 2014, 09:44:46 pm »

It's probably too ram-heavy to run on non-desktop-class computers.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: November 12, 2014, 09:52:13 pm »

Is it really? Modern tablets run King of Dragon Pass, OpenTTD, and Windows 95.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: November 12, 2014, 09:54:03 pm »

Yeah, it uses a lot, because every object in the game including the walls and floors is a complete object as complete as the player. I wasn't thinking phones 10 years ago when I started it. :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 10:04:26 pm by unormal »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: November 12, 2014, 10:02:53 pm »

It's only 160MB with a new game on a desktop. A lot of tablets have 1 GB of RAM. If you want to test on a Tegra 3 device, let me know.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: November 12, 2014, 10:04:39 pm »

It's only 160MB with a new game on a desktop. A lot of tablets have 1 GB of RAM. If you want to test on a Tegra 3 device, let me know.

Well, nothing's stopping us from trying it, at least.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: November 13, 2014, 10:36:58 pm »

DEATH TO THE TILE USERS! ASCII SHALL REIGN SUPREME FOREVER!

Fight the good fight, brother.

It's weird; the first roguelike I played was Nethack, with tiles. But the more different ones I played, the more I was seduced by ASCII. If anything, you'd have thought it'd be the other way around.

Very interesting news about the Unity framework, anyway! Continuing to watch with interest.

I'm weirder, played few ASCII roguelikes, but never "hooked" before playing DCSS with tiles. Now I prefer to play in ASCII if there's the option, except Crawl.

Good new for Linux <3.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: December 16, 2014, 06:27:51 pm »

If anyone would like to help test out very early builds of Unity-base Caves of Qud (which works on Windows, Mac & Linux) here are some Steam keys!

7̶Q̶C̶Y̶F̶-̶J̶E̶5̶Y̶8̶-̶E̶B̶7̶2̶H̶
FA̶B̶T̶R̶-̶J̶6̶T̶3̶R̶-̶Q̶H̶H̶D̶7̶
A6TEW-PD4LQ-RF2EN
8̶G̶N̶0̶Y̶-̶T̶8̶E̶M̶C̶-̶R̶2̶H̶8̶V̶
L̶E̶K̶Q̶J̶-̶I̶H̶J̶J̶A̶-̶J̶G̶E̶P̶R̶
I̶Z̶Q̶8̶P̶-̶J̶H̶E̶9̶3̶-̶2̶8̶W̶4̶E
6YWMP-G2I0V-2LI5C
N̶P̶E̶D̶Z̶-̶H̶M̶B̶B̶5̶-̶Z̶4̶R̶5̶L̶
9̶F̶5̶I̶T̶-̶5̶L̶K̶H̶3̶-̶Z̶K̶7̶A̶K̶
H̶T̶D̶C̶H̶-̶H̶L̶B̶F̶I̶-̶3̶G̶E̶K̶N̶
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:27:55 pm by unormal »
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 250