Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 571081 times)

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2055 on: June 21, 2011, 01:42:23 pm »

I try all the stuff, using mental mutations or phys + guns, I always end up being killed by a group of enemies, or in the Red Rock.
Any tip? And where are those crocs? I usually stay around the first town...

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: June 21, 2011, 02:45:53 pm »

Go south out of Joppa and stick around the Watervine swamps. They'll occasionally spawn with the glowpads, glowfish, and free experience giant dragonflies that you can shoot with ranged weapons and who will follow you around, but won't land and effectively can't hurt you unless you yourself are flying.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: June 21, 2011, 02:59:11 pm »

Don't do redrock first. If you have a couple of grenades in your inventory, give them to argyve for your first level. Then head south into the watervine swamps. Slaughter the fish and be careful around the Crocs. I recommend you gather up the fish corpses and use them as food, saving the lighter food for later.

If you want a "cheat" build, try this. Freezing hands + wings. Depending on other parts of the build, such as ego amount, the last 4 points are really at your discretion. If you truly wish to slaughter, go 24 will and ego, 14 tough, and pick up Brittle Bones, Temporal Fugue, and Light Manipulation. That is a bit trickier of a build, but once you start getting higher level, the freezing ray and laser spam is amazing.

With this combo, don't go underground. Fly east and kill glowfish + crocs until you reach about level 3-4. Split the mutation points between wings and freezing hands, with wings getting priority. When you reach the canyons, be very careful around the dragonflies and anything with a ranged attack. Don't attack the dragonflies until all the ground bound enemies are dead, unless there are Equimax. If there are Equimax, Carefully use wings and freezing hands to slowly slaughter all the dragonflies and equimax. If you have Temporal Fugue and Light Manip, you can take a good swarm of both by popping Fugue and targeting the dragonflies, but don't get surrounded by equimax since you can still fall to the ground up to lvl 6 wings. If you get rid of all the dragonflies, kite the equimax to death, and you can easily get another 2-3 levels on one screen of equimax at nearly zero risk.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: June 21, 2011, 03:00:43 pm »

That must have changed recently then.

Shields have always only affected your AV when you block the attack, as far as I know, though the effect on your EV is constant.

Which reminds me. The base chance to block is 50% and only one attack per round (I think anyway, I'm less familiar with the base chance compared to what the shield skills grant you). Shields skills increase this to 75% chance to block, 2 times per round. But does wearing multiple shields increase either of these? Will a fourarm wearing 3 shields be able to block as many as 6 attacks per round?

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: June 21, 2011, 03:33:29 pm »

For a straight physical character, try the Chimera morphotype, with Regeneration, Two Hearted, Thick Fur and Nightvision. This will largely end up dependent on what weapons you prefer and are able to acquire, but all you have to do is sprint away a bit and you tend to regain your health quite quickly. Put most of your points in Strength, Agility and Toughness; the rest are preference as well.

The versatility in this build is pretty nice, because you'll often be able to carry mountains of equipment on you. For me, that means (if I get lucky drops) a weapon for every occasion: shotgun for groups, pistols or rifle as a "main" gun, flamethrower for bosses, and just being able to beat things senseless if that catches your fancy. I tend to go fairly deep into Tinkering for the ability to create my own deadly weapons, namely the Vibroblade (and I'm sure there are much better things out there, but it's the highest piece of equipment I've personally seen). Works better if you decide to generate a new mutation and get Heightened Quickness, Multiple Arms, or Multiple Legs.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: June 21, 2011, 03:57:32 pm »

Thanks for all the tips, I'll try to build them to fit my needs, and beat some crocs. Thanks again!

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: June 21, 2011, 09:15:48 pm »

21 toughness is a fairly good place for new players to start as well
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: June 21, 2011, 09:29:36 pm »

Praetorian/axeman(I don't remember the class name) pure human with 20 in toughness, dumped will/ego and high strength can get you anywhere. It's boring for me now though, but it's really easy.

Guns are underpowered unless you make a specific build and find right datadisks/weapons. Melee is the way to go if you start to play it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: June 22, 2011, 07:25:19 am »

Wooden bucklers; how do they work?

Equipping them on my arm decreases my DV, but doesn't increase my AV at all.

The AV bonus comes when you actually 'Block' with them, as far as I know; there's skills that will increase their effectiveness.
Oh, I thought that covered shields specifically, and that bucklers were just a flat bonus. Thanks for clearing that up.

Edit again: Walls can apparently be stunned and dazed. This was while attacking a piece of shale with Axe skillsets. Don't ask me why. I was bored and trying to find a way out with use of my Corrosive gas mutation. It also apprently never wears off; waiting around 100 turns didn't clear the status effects.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit2: Is there a way to cure raw meat that I have butchered? The "tastes better when x" message makes me think that there is a way, but I'm not entirely sure.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:17:25 am by Astral »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: June 22, 2011, 08:46:33 am »

You can also just kill the wall... :P

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: June 22, 2011, 08:57:35 am »

Edit2: Is there a way to cure raw meat that I have butchered? The "tastes better when x" message makes me think that there is a way, but I'm not entirely sure.
Upgraded quality butchering gives you better meat, no way to improve the stuff you already have though.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: June 22, 2011, 10:36:11 am »

Trying to get more acid in a waterskin caused me to pour 64 drams on the ground and gave me an exception:

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: June 22, 2011, 08:14:43 pm »

*Cell-using missle weapons now have a more readable sidebar charge display
*Set the eat priority of some food ingredients to 0
*Increased charge use of laser pistols and overloaded laser pistols
*Bit costs are now displayed sorted
*You may only regain your bearings on the surface
*Added shoot and scoot behavior to a hoshaiah
*Fixed some bugs in the display of bow ammo
*Fixed a heightened hearing and sense psychic exception
*Fixed an issue causing projectiles to still become bloody
*Fixed the asphalt mines entry zone (and a few other zones) not generating correctly
*Fixed an exception when a container is destroyed while filling with acid
*Fixed acid damaging things even when in a sealed container
*Fixed an issue causing monsters with random mutations not to get any
*Fixed several cases where a non-player (i.e. beetlebum) picking up quest objects would finish the quest step
*Fixed issue where charging enemies would sit there at maximum range instead of charging
*Fixed slipping on liquids costing 1000 energy per square slipped, now a slip costs 1000 total energy regardless of distance

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: June 23, 2011, 08:28:59 am »

Seem to be breaking the game a bit lately. Using a flamethrower on the nigh-invicible dude in Grit Gate is not a good thing, nor is using corrosive gas to break through walls so you can utilize all the shops...

And accidentally hooking myself...

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:34:45 am by Astral »

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: June 24, 2011, 02:50:10 am »

I... I cannot explain how frustrated I am D:

I was going through grit gate with my best character yet, and on the second level down, it's full of doors and rooms, so I proceed carefully.
After opening one door, it turns out there is a chaingun turret on the other side. I have about 56 health, so i'm feeling pretty good, go in and try hacking it to bits.
Doesn't work.
Go back outside and close the door, get an idea, open the door, stand a few feet back, and throw a high explosive in.
Doing so destroys the door, and takes a chunk of health out of the chaingun turret. I rest (hit a few times leaving that part), go in and find it's still alive, so i decide to just hack it to bits. After about 2 hits, it dies. At this point, I'm down to 3 health. It drops a bunch of scrap, and theres a chest on the left. I go in (without healing), and there is another FUCKING CHAINGUN TURRET. DOWN THE TINY DEAD END THAT I JUST SPENT 10 MINUTES TRYING TO GET INTO.

Needless to say, it one shots me and I die.

Also, bug and slight problem:
Bug:
Earlier in the game, I went to Argyve and buy some scrap. I already had some scrap in my inventory, and after the purchase, I have the exact same amount of scrap.
I was getting quite annoyed that he'd stolen my money, however, after disassembling one piece of scrap, it gives me all the scrap I would have gotten.

And before I got to grit gate, I was having a serious problem with the food supply. I had harvestry and butchering, but at points I found myself having to wish some food up.
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 250