Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 571013 times)

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2010 on: June 14, 2011, 09:31:31 pm »

Also unless something has changed, the Fur mutation entirely negates the combustion damage

Yep, that's been changed. Unless you're immune, there's a minimum damage amount.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2011 on: June 14, 2011, 09:39:58 pm »

Also unless something has changed, the Fur mutation entirely negates the combustion damage

Yep, that's been changed. Unless you're immune, there's a minimum damage amount.
Ahh alright. Its been a few versions since I last played. In fact I think I'll go pick it up again now.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: June 14, 2011, 09:44:54 pm »

What would be a worthwhile defect to take, then? Not all of the defect descriptions are... complete. I didn't realize that was what gave me the movement speed reduction.

I generally go with either Brittle Bones or the one that makes you take extra/longer damage from bleeding. Brittle Bones isn't too bad, though anything that deals blunt damage will deal extra damage to you (supposedly 1.5 times as much). There aren't too many things that cause bleeding, so Hemophilia is good in that regard, the problem is that if anything so much as scratches your arm before you find enough bandages or get high enough regen or whatever, you're guaranteed to die. Avoid Horned Chameleons like the plague and pray you never step on an ivory plant, because those will be a death sentence.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:46:42 pm by Niveras »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: June 14, 2011, 10:14:07 pm »

Personally, I find Analgesia to always be a good choice for a 2 pointer. Amphibious used to be THE 4 point physical, but then they fixed the salt water issue. Not sure how good it is now. As for the rest, Electromagnetic Impulse might or might not be ok, depending on if it affects you, and if the folks in gritgate take issue with it. Myopia is basically being in permanent night mode, though I think spectacles and telescopic lenses might negate it, as would hearing or maybe Clair. Beak drops ego a bit, and removes the head slot, so not too great.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2014 on: June 14, 2011, 10:39:43 pm »

I usually just take Evil Twin. It makes life interesting.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: June 15, 2011, 07:10:37 am »

What does Albino do aside from "makes you a pariah to your people"? I did notice a little less regen even with Regeneration at 3 (It took ~100 turns to heal to a full 60 points with that, Double-Hearted 3, and no enemies).

Edit: Ravenous seems to be fairly easy to deal with. Early Butchery and lots of fish corpses.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:16:06 am by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #2016 on: June 15, 2011, 03:52:03 pm »

I always take hooks for feet. Sprint is there for a reason.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: June 16, 2011, 10:18:56 am »

Are shotguns classed under the rifle/bow skills, or the heavy weapons? I've found a nice shiny combat shotgun and despite my character being mostly melee, it actually hits pretty hard. Great as a backup/oh shit weapon.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: June 16, 2011, 10:28:31 am »

Are shotguns classed under the rifle/bow skills, or the heavy weapons? I've found a nice shiny combat shotgun and despite my character being mostly melee, it actually hits pretty hard. Great as a backup/oh shit weapon.

Rifle. Two-handed missile weapons are rifles unless the 'l'ook text displays 'this is a heavy weapon'.

e: Actually rifle skills may not work with shotguns due to a bug at the moment.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 10:30:05 am by unormal »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: June 16, 2011, 11:18:49 am »

I don't know about the most recent version, but the knock-back skill at least used to work just fine with shotguns.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: June 16, 2011, 11:28:26 pm »

*Fixed a fugue exception

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: June 17, 2011, 05:44:04 pm »

I'm working on a general cleanup and bugfix patch. Anyone got any pet-peeve bugs or interface quirks they'd like me to take a look at?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: June 17, 2011, 05:54:41 pm »

I find the auto-targeter to be a bit annoying when it goes for enemies off screen instead of the plants I'm trying to shoot that are in the same room with me (or right in front of me). Also, it works as a bit of a cheat to know where the next enemy is, since it'll point out people in areas you haven't explored yet.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: June 17, 2011, 06:14:17 pm »

I find the auto-targeter to be a bit annoying when it goes for enemies off screen instead of the plants I'm trying to shoot that are in the same room with me (or right in front of me). Also, it works as a bit of a cheat to know where the next enemy is, since it'll point out people in areas you haven't explored yet.

Which targeter does this?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: June 17, 2011, 06:16:57 pm »

Um...I'll have to check it out once I'm at home. I know it's an issue when I'm trying to attack plants with bows, generally early on in the game. I think it's the default targeting the game does when you press 'F'
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 250