Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 571011 times)

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1995 on: June 13, 2011, 09:38:05 am »

That happens sometimes. Argyve always wins.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: June 13, 2011, 11:15:10 am »

And then the zealot died a couple turns afterward. WTF?
WTF indeed. Argyve stealing your XP.  >:(

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: June 13, 2011, 11:34:32 am »

To be fair, it's the damn zealot who attacks Argyve. So it's not really the poor tinker's fault.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: June 13, 2011, 10:43:03 pm »

I appear to have finally generated a 'winning' character. Or at least one that hasn't died before actually doing anything.

Level 9 Mutated Human Arconaut, with Lvl 2 Antlers, Lvl 2 Psychometry, Lvl 3 Regeneration, and Lvl 2 Multiple arms.

I've managed so far to best the first few quests in Joppa - the elder's quest and the tinker's first few quests - and have run into a variety of traders and lairs. With pscyhometry I've been able to just identify a whole bunch of cheap artifacts en masse whenever traders have them - for example identifying shotguns, grenades, metal folding chairs, and HE missiles... and also using that to learn how to make them. Which would work better if I had any levels in Tinker.

That said, with an arconaut (short blades proficiency) and multiple arms, I've basically taken to running around with a torch in one hand, and a short-sword or dagger of some variety in all three of the others. This seems to have had the intended effect of creating a whirling dervish whenever those offhand weapons activate. Now I'm just saving up for the Dual wield skill tree so I can enhance this skill.

And I somehow cursed it by posting here, subsequently taking 11 damage from a qudzu in a single hit.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:50:48 pm by Logical2u »
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: June 14, 2011, 09:46:37 am »

*Added a zone-build try limitation so that a failed zone won't just freeze the game (though it will be empty), and a new option to disable this
*Fixed a few issues where it would count recently expired tonics as still active
*Fixed shade oil duration description

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #2000 on: June 14, 2011, 10:30:10 am »

I've come across a funny bug. You can't complete the quest step where you 'engage the baetyl' if you have no tongue.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: June 14, 2011, 10:33:12 am »

Maybe it's a feature? :P
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: June 14, 2011, 10:33:29 am »

About where is Gritgate in relation to other notable features on the overworld map? I know it's Northeast of Joppa, but I've been looking around (and subsequently lost around) the large red arch.

Edit: Damn. Nevermind. Just ran into a 4x10 room full of about 13 chain gun turrets and 4 rifle turrets. And I had high hopes for this character, who had gotten an electrobow and had some decent dual wielding weapons.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:51:17 am by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: June 14, 2011, 11:02:14 am »

Gritgate is 8 NE and 3 east of Joppa. It looks like a grey square. Just so you know, you can look around the world map with the look key, and it will tell you what the square your looking at is, be it jungle, desert canyon, a town, or whatever else.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: June 14, 2011, 04:30:04 pm »

Yes and when you get to the Gritgate map, you need to find the stairs downward.  Search those tunnels for the entrance.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: June 14, 2011, 08:32:37 pm »

I found Gritgate with another character (level 13, on a different computer) but he met his demise when I found out what a conveyor belt drop was the hard way in Golgotha. This proceeded to drop me into a 8x3 conveyor belt, being swarmed by about 8 enemies (5 of those swarming crabs) that decimated me amid a failed tonic use.

I've had varying degrees of success with my current build; think I'm going to stick with it a bit more before going off to try something else:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: June 14, 2011, 08:48:39 pm »

Dump hooks for feet. It gives a move speed penalty such that the difference between hooks and even sandals of the river wives is about 15 points of speed. Since EVERYTHING basically moves at 100 move speed, even that +5 lets you get away easier.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: June 14, 2011, 08:51:08 pm »

What would be a worthwhile defect to take, then? Not all of the defect descriptions are... complete. I didn't realize that was what gave me the movement speed reduction.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: June 14, 2011, 09:05:27 pm »

Spontaneous combustion is actually a pretty good choice. It doesn't do that much damage and can be negated by the occasional dram of salt water instantly. If you plan for it, you basically lose a turn every couple hundred rounds.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2009 on: June 14, 2011, 09:19:26 pm »

Also unless something has changed, the Fur mutation entirely negates the combustion damage
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 250