Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570762 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1740 on: April 14, 2011, 08:19:24 pm »

Regenera injectors can get you the yellow one (photonics I think) pretty easily, but I've never seen any of the others.  Time cube takes 4 top tier bits IIRC, whatever the heck it does.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: April 14, 2011, 08:24:15 pm »

Time cube is god mode emergency button. Regenera seems to either give one photonic or two nano. Personally, two nano are far more worthwhile.

I agree with pristine electronics. I've had games where I've had over 50 of every lesser bit, and over 100 of each of the tier one bits, and not a single pristine electronic. I've sat on half a dozen discs lately where I had mass amounts of everything, but had no pristine electronics to make even a single one.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: April 14, 2011, 08:25:24 pm »

If you get Expert Disassembler, then you can pick apart revolvers, muskets, and desert rifles for some nice bits (Pure Alloy, Perfect Crystals, and Power Systems). I've never seen Nanomaterials, or anything past it, though, and I've even gone wandering around the space elevator.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: April 14, 2011, 08:35:01 pm »

I picked up a nanomaterial bit of scrap from the glowpad merchant this game. And ya, expert disassembler is the only thing that makes tinkering really possible at all. It's pristine electronics and better that are so hard to find.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1744 on: April 15, 2011, 08:43:05 am »

Does fire resistance not work against flaming hands or something? Even with 59 fire resistance from level 10 carapace and thick fur I ended up dying to troll firestarters. You would think they would be the least dangerous trolls, but I ripped through the rest of them easily. I could have prevented the death had I been more careful and used more of my items, but the game was seriously slowing down close to unplayability so I didn't care about the character too much.

I did get a carbine in that game and I have to agree, they are really nice. I also have began to love sowers seeds. I had around 90 of them at one point, and they are very good against tough enemies, especially groups. You may take a bit of self damage, but it's usually not too bad.

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: April 15, 2011, 09:41:40 am »

Sower's Seeds are definitely very ouch'y; the goatfolk tend to be the most annoying enemies due to that.

Troll Firestarters use flamethrowers, don't they? When I picked one up, I was doing x5-6 crits to everything they hit...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: April 15, 2011, 09:42:47 am »

Huh. Those must be modified Backburners.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1747 on: April 15, 2011, 10:46:13 am »

I swear they didn't drop any flamethrowers after I killed them, and the damage messages I got didn't involve any multipliers.

Edit: Just downloaded the game and checked through the files on the creatures. It's fireslingers not starters, and they have level 4 flaming hands, and no flamethrowers. Seems flaming hands ignores armour and resistance. I imagine freezing hands does the same, so I'm glad I didn't try to kill the joppa warden with that character. I also got a gaslight weapon- it seems they always act at maximum penetration (the same as folded carbide I think) regardless of strength so long as they are powered, though I might be wrong. Good for low strength characters.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: April 15, 2011, 11:04:53 am »

Firestarters have Ghostly Flames, AFAIK, the same 'equipment' you get if you choose Flaming Hands. However, that alone does not preclude the possibility that they may rarely spawn with a flamethrower.

Edit: F5'd

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: April 15, 2011, 11:52:54 am »

Does fire resistance not work against flaming hands or something? Even with 59 fire resistance from level 10 carapace and thick fur I ended up dying to troll firestarters. You would think they would be the least dangerous trolls, but I ripped through the rest of them easily. I could have prevented the death had I been more careful and used more of my items, but the game was seriously slowing down close to unplayability so I didn't care about the character too much.

I did get a carbine in that game and I have to agree, they are really nice. I also have began to love sowers seeds. I had around 90 of them at one point, and they are very good against tough enemies, especially groups. You may take a bit of self damage, but it's usually not too bad.
Yeah, firestarters are easily the most dangerous of the trolls, since they can do tons of damage at range.
59% fire resistance still means they do lots of damage though :(
Sower's Seeds are definitely very ouch'y; the goatfolk tend to be the most annoying enemies due to that.
They aren't that bad, all you need to do is hide behind a tree (after you see a goatfolk sower), and then kill them in melee range (even if you are ranged they got some pretty pathetic melee).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1750 on: April 15, 2011, 11:58:50 am »

They have level 4 flaming hands, which means 4D6 damage I believe (same as fire ants and dawngliders). One of them got a 20 damage hit on me. So it looks like fire resistance didn't do anything. Though fire resistance is definitely not totally broken, at one point I was taking only 6 damage from steam while I had around 30 or 40 fire resistance, so maybe it isn't percentage.

Also those tactics work well against single sowers, but in a group, or with a hornblower to make you run around in their firing range? Not quite as effective.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: April 15, 2011, 12:07:41 pm »

Or when you run into one in a fairly low-level area and get killed before you know they're there.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: April 15, 2011, 01:15:04 pm »

They aren't that bad, all you need to do is hide behind a tree (after you see a goatfolk sower), and then kill them in melee range (even if you are ranged they got some pretty pathetic melee).
Which is hard to do due to the fact that the seeds blow trees away before you can get to them.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: April 15, 2011, 02:07:27 pm »

I think electrical discharge could use a a point drop from 4 to 3. It seems to be about equal to light manipulation compared to the other attack mutations in their categories. Reliable, fast, but not even close to as strong as the various 5 point attacks. I'd even say Light Manip is stronger then Electrical discharge, since it has massive penetration and serves as a light source and a ranged attack.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: April 15, 2011, 02:10:23 pm »

Waaaaaay stronger.
Getting into discharge range can give the enemies an opportunity to attack too.

Light manipulation is one of the best mutations imo though, so that might be throwing it off.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 250