Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570636 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1605 on: April 09, 2011, 04:10:22 pm »

You just have to be careful with them. But I use grenades all the time. Especially as mines when running away from enemies. And once you can tinker up a few types they stop feeling special at all and can be used with abandoned.

Besides, it's a roguelike. If you don't use your special stuff when you get a chance, you probably won't live to use them at all!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: April 09, 2011, 05:07:42 pm »

Problem with the Billowing Conch of Aji is that what comes out of it is random.  You're just as likely to put yourself and the enemy to sleep as you are to summon some hellish 15dmg/turn poison. 

Ego boosters are awesome. (doubles sell values/halves buy value for low ego characters)

The life drain mutation is ridiculously awesome (balanced out by it's melee range though).  It's like setting someone on fire except the damage they take heals you. (for 20 rounds)

At higher levels Cryokinesis "spreads" because it lowers the temp a bunch.  Dunno about pyro.

Bashin nades just cause they don't get thrown any appreciable distance (the HE series seems to have a blast radius that exceeds your range).  Does raising STR/agi increase your range?  I find poison to be way more useful for crowd control, because it does about the same amount of damage overall just in increments so you're less likely to die from it.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: April 09, 2011, 10:04:26 pm »

Str modifies throw distance. There was an issue many versions ago where negative str resulted in a large negative throw distance, so you could aim opposite of where you want to go and it goes far. Mines and Bombs are where its though. Acid bombs are amazing for getting through walls.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: April 09, 2011, 10:20:17 pm »

I remember fighting my evil twin, we both had the gas mask and poison grenades.  Both of us threw our grenades, then fought in melee.  It was like something out of World War I.
That's awesome!

Oh, btw, how do I eat or drink stuff?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 10:24:48 pm by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

shaihulud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: April 09, 2011, 10:30:50 pm »

you do ithat in inventory, select the item and it will give you the option.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: April 09, 2011, 10:32:15 pm »

you do ithat in inventory, select the item and it will give you the option.
Thanks for telling me.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: April 09, 2011, 10:37:47 pm »

Agreed, once you get Lay mine/bomb 'nades become a hell of a lot more useful.

The problem with grenades is that they are too situational.  I understand that that is the way they were intended to be (otherwise there wouldn't be such a large variety with a multitude of differing uses).  I'm actually fine with most grenades as they all have their niche (acid for walls, emp for robots, ice when you need some space, and poison/thermal just rapes the hell out of mobs) it's the HE nades that usually spell doom for my chrome gilded adventurer.  I'm going to wait for damn perfect conditions next time I decide to use an HE nade. (Salt plains+day time+str 25).  It's usually my inability to keep my hands off those nades that ends me.  My last three characters all died to it even though each time I thought I was being more careful than the last.  I may be hallucinating but I feel like at times the blast from an HE nade gets a little funny.  I don't think that the resultant explosion from a thrown HE nade is entirely uniform when you add tight spaces to equation.  I say this because when I chucked an MKI nade at a chitinous puma who was standing in front of some ruins and the explosion assumed a star shape.  The problem was one of the corners of the star extended out like an arm (consisting of dust, fire, and concussive force) to drag me away to whatever damned place Quddites go when they die.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: April 09, 2011, 10:39:53 pm »

What are the best mutations to have?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: April 09, 2011, 10:46:29 pm »

Depends on what you want.
I like having Light Manipulation, since it not only lowers the need for a light source but also comes with a pretty good projectile attack. If you spend a lot of time outdoors, then wings are a good investment, though you'll need a ranged weapon to attack ground targets,

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: April 09, 2011, 10:50:33 pm »

I like sleeping gas generation or any other gas generation. Regeneration's also good.

Also, am I meant to get the Instaheal Autoinjector in Redrock?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: April 09, 2011, 10:54:56 pm »

I don't use grenades because they're like, Special Weapons.

You know, those Special Weapons you never use because you're always saving them for something else.

I used a High Explosive Mk3 grenade once.

I decided not to do so again.

Flaming Hands is OP. It's seriously a lot of damage for such a short cooldown, such that I expect a nerf. But maybe it's balanced. Freezing Hands could also be situationally more useful - a little bit less damage, but freezing is nice CC. The issue there is that as you increase your Freezing Hands skill it becomes dangerous to strike frozen targets in melee, because temperature "leaks" across tiles. Cryokinesis especially can freeze you once it reaches ~5 points if you're not careful; I'm not sure if that carries over to Freezing Hands. This is true of flaming/pyrokinesis too but bursting into flames from proximity to heat is slightly less dangerous than getting frozen for a turn (or more!) as you wait to heat up.

However, whatever you pick I don't recommend choosing more than two, maybe three, physical mutations, because you can only buff those with mutation points from leveling. You only get a limited number of mutation points, but the leveling scheme is such that you can keep two mutations maxed to your limit. There isn't much [finished] content beyond around 25, so you'll have ~5 "unspent" points... if you survive that long.

That said, some physical mutations don't need to be maxed, or can't be increased anyway. You'll probably want to max any offensive mutations, but something like Photosynthesis only needs a couple points (so that you can stay underground longer without needing a trip back to the surface).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 11:23:09 pm by Niveras »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: April 09, 2011, 11:07:23 pm »

Regeneration is a must have for me. It may simply be just HP regen, but HP regen is always good, especially for melee characters.

Another is either Force Wall or Force Bubble. For obvious reasons.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: April 10, 2011, 01:17:02 am »

I'd like to see Night Vision upgradable so I can see further at night. I think how it is at 1pt is fine, but increased viability would be pretty awesome and I wouldn't mind pumping mutation points into it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: April 10, 2011, 02:36:36 am »

Don't pick 2 types of gas generators on the mutation screen! Only one of them will work.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: April 10, 2011, 04:31:33 am »

Wings is utterly amazing, as long as you stay above ground with it. Once you get it to level 6, you never fall and are incredibly fast and almost never get lost when travelling.

Personally, I prefer freezing hands to flaming. When traveling anywhere with water, especially underground, flaming hands makes giant steam clouds that are really nasty, whereas freezing hands, particularly after about level 5, makes giant swatches of long lasting ice. Which, now that I think about it, doesn't make sense, since we're talking salt water, but then if it doesn't freeze things, it needs a damage boost.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 250