Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570359 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1440 on: March 28, 2011, 04:56:15 am »

Nothing can fly underground. Normally, dragonflies are always flying, but underground, they aren't. So you have to watch out for them. Note that flying critters without ranged attacks can't attack grounded foes, and vice versa. Dragonflies are REALLY nasty if they can attack you though. Just hit level 12 and they hit pretty hard.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: March 28, 2011, 05:03:22 am »

I did not think I would like this game, but I am have become engrossed, how do I not die so much, I cannot find many good resources .
Thank you based dwarf.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: March 28, 2011, 05:11:56 am »

If your a mutant, make sure you have a defensive and an offensive mutation. Pile on the AV armor, and know when to run. If you run with sprint, get to a completely safe spot before you stop running, unless your sure you can kite the enemy to death. Pick up some form of gun early on. Even with no skill, you can unload a desert rifle or a musket or chain pistol on a mob you can outrun from a distance and do some good damage.

Can't help you with True Man too much. Don't play them often. Though they are quite nice to get started since they start with amazing gear. My issue is that aside from the gear, which is findable, they don't offer much more then mutants.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: March 28, 2011, 05:15:37 am »

I did not think I would like this game, but I am have become engrossed, how do I not die so much, I cannot find many good resources .
True human melee is pretty easy for the start (unless you do something stupid, you don't have to really worry about dying), I got to lv 16 on my third try or so, but my save got corrupted so that was it for him.
Mental mutant is pretty beast, but has a problem in that it is super squishy.
Dunno about physical mutant.
Get a high strength score (and pretty good toughness+agi preferably), you don't really need ego or willpower (although you need at least 19(?) int for lv 1 tinkering). (that is for true human melee).
Look (with the L key) at all the enemies, and avoid fighting anything "tough" or stronger.

Speak to the dude in the bottom left corner of the map for quests.
Explore east and kill what you come across (the glowpads have tons of health, so you might not want to bother killing them).
Keep going east (and going back to the town when you fill up) till you get to the rust wells, explore them and get the wire and goods.
Then get the "what's eating the watervine quest" (from the watervine farmer), and go to red rock.

Don't get too far away from the town, the stuff gets stronger the farther you get (and depending on the direction you go too).

EDIT:Also, AV is much better then DV, figure out how combat works (in that penetration is super important).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: March 28, 2011, 11:26:12 am »

Was made aware of this game via the jefmajor Let's Play, and downloaded it.

But I have a slight problem: When I run it, all where text is supposed to be is solid colored rectangles.
Does anybody else have this problem, or know how to fix it? When I looked for fixes is said something about filtered shortcuts; I do not know what this means or how to do it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:30:09 am by FuzzyZergling »

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: March 28, 2011, 11:30:33 am »

True Man is more about Skill Points, as Mutated are more about mutations. You should plan your attribute points ahead so you can get some of the more difficult skills. I for one planned to get masterful butchery(and I did), which allowed me to butcher eyeless crabs for better than steel shields, and butcher salthoppers for better than steel long sword weapons. You also get lots of jerky.  :)
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: March 28, 2011, 12:11:04 pm »

True Man is more about Skill Points, as Mutated are more about mutations. You should plan your attribute points ahead so you can get some of the more difficult skills. I for one planned to get masterful butchery(and I did), which allowed me to butcher eyeless crabs for better than steel shields, and butcher salthoppers for better than steel long sword weapons. You also get lots of jerky.  :)
Hm... Is masterful harvestry any good?
I've been sorta thinking about getting it, but don't know if/how much it will help.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: March 28, 2011, 12:42:27 pm »

Hm... Is masterful harvestry any good?
I've been sorta thinking about getting it, but don't know if/how much it will help.
Harvestry is better skilled imo.

Get skilled harvestry
Get lots of witchwood bark
Attack someone
Consume large quantities of witchwood bark
???
Umumwahuhum!

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: March 28, 2011, 01:08:18 pm »

And apparently, under certain conditions, you don't get confused. I'm not sure if it was a bug or based on mental armor (MA stat)/wisdom, but I know I ate a witchwood once without experiencing the side effect.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: March 28, 2011, 01:15:59 pm »

And apparently, under certain conditions, you don't get confused. I'm not sure if it was a bug or based on mental armor (MA stat)/wisdom, but I know I ate a witchwood once without experiencing the side effect.
Generally, whenever i eat witchwood, the first piece i don't get confused, and on the second one i do. But that probably has something to do with me just getting lucky on the first eating.

Get skilled harvestry
Get lots of witchwood bark
Attack someone
Consume large quantities of witchwood bark
???
Umumwahuhum!
:D
(Although you don't need masterful harvesting for that).

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: March 28, 2011, 01:42:53 pm »

Was made aware of this game via the jefmajor Let's Play, and downloaded it.

But I have a slight problem: When I run it, all where text is supposed to be is solid colored rectangles.
Does anybody else have this problem, or know how to fix it? When I looked for fixes is said something about filtered shortcuts; I do not know what this means or how to do it.
I know nothing about rectangle text, so I can't help you there.

However, to get a filtered shortcut, create a shortcut to the program, enter properties, and add -filter to the end of the Target box. A space before it may be necessary. Don't add it within quotation marks if there are some surrounding the directory the shortcut is pointing at.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: March 28, 2011, 01:49:48 pm »

That didn't ix it, but I fixed it by opening Caves of Qud Console Mode.bat instead od XRL.exe (now my window is tiny, but I can work around that).
Thanks for the help!

The elder guy died/disappeared, so now I have a quest I can never get rid of. Oh well.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 06:33:27 pm by FuzzyZergling »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: March 28, 2011, 06:58:02 pm »

Decided to start keeping a spreadsheet of the basic items I find, how much they weigh, and what they sell for (at 16 ego). You find way more stuff than you can carry, and I wasn't sure I was bringing back the optimal mix of loot.

Learning some interesting stuff, even though I haven't gotten much info in yet. Everything I have so far is just stuff I found in and around Joppa with a new Praetorian.

Body armor, as we all know, is useless for trade. But I was a bit fuzzy about the weapons and what was worthwhile or not.

Here is what I know so far:

Items with the best return per pound (ignoring obvious trade goods like nuggets)
iron dagger   3.50
wide-brimmed hat   2.80
steel long sword   2.10
bronze dagger   1.75
steel shield   1.46
lacquered counterweighted iron short sword   1.41
bronze short sword   1.17
desert rifle   1.17
leather boots   1.17
bronze long sword   1.05
staff   1.05

General rule of thumb seems to be:
Better materials increase the value by a good bit. Haven't figured out the exact formula yet, though.
Daggers>Short Swords>Long Swords>Maces>Battle Axes

Still need hard data on short bows, two-handed swords, vine reapers, Kris, and the various hammers. I also need to figure out the rest of the guns, although I usually break those down to bits instead of selling them anyway.

The various weapon mods, like lacquered or counterweighted, seem to add 10% to the price. So unless the item is already worth trading lacquered by itself won't help too much. They do stack, though, so the more mods on an item the more money you get.

If I release the spreadsheet on google docs would people be interested in adding information to it? As long as everyone keeps prices to the 16 ego value it would probably let us get a lot of info in.

Might need organizing, though. Right now it's just one big list, but as the categories grow it'll be necessary to split things up so it's easy to find the stuff you're looking for.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1453 on: March 28, 2011, 07:17:54 pm »

If you do a google docs spreadsheet you could leave columns open on the right listing ego scores from 1-30 so we can get an idea of how prices scale up. Requiring anyone contributing to be at 16 ego is unrealistic

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: March 28, 2011, 07:24:13 pm »

One of these days I'm gonna make a junk character, wish for 1000 ego injectors, and see if there is a point where cost flip flops with return.

My rule of thumb with my current character, who is a tinkerer with low str. Go out light, clear areas until I hit my loot limit, finish clearing the area, then pile everything, pick it up, and recoil. The drams add up even on crap loot, and if there is nothing to spend it on it just gets piled next to the argyve. That way, when there is something to spend it on, I already have a massive pile sitting there I can pick up and shove onto him. I try to save the beaded bracelets and sliver nuggets for the wilderness traders I've tracked down to visit.

Incidentally, wings (6) is basically a win button. If you have a decent ranged attack, preferably mutation based, you basically can't die outside of a cave. Combine with frost hands, sleep gas, and photosynthetic skin, and you can farm equimax 24/7.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 250