Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570390 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1425 on: March 27, 2011, 07:11:35 am »

No, there weren't, and I doubt there will be for a while... I mean come on, even turrets drop "hands" now after dismemberment, so it's a long run :). I guess it aims to be ADOM-like, not DF-like, and I can't say that I hate it. If it had a DF system, you wouldn't be able to win it at all (without a hitpoint system most of enemy mutations/robots would kill you no matter how you try).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: March 27, 2011, 07:32:46 am »

Hmm, you surely have a point there with the HP, but what about some more elaborate combat system, personally i find the standard roguelike (moving to targets position) combat pretty flat. What about changing combat stances, aimed attacks or something to bring some sort of tactic into combat other than choosing a weapon and choosing when to run?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: March 27, 2011, 07:41:10 am »

That's what the mutations and skills are for.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: March 27, 2011, 01:19:07 pm »

Force bubble is a rip-off :I Force wall and kindle are where its at.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: March 27, 2011, 01:22:30 pm »

Force bubble is a rip-off :I Force wall and kindle are where its at.
Not really. Force Bubble allows you to immediately get away from melee enemies and protect you as you run away. Force wall will let you block your enemies, but there's a max of 9 squares and that won't block all passageways. It's static so it won't protect you while you're running away. And you usually have to spend a turn getting melee'd putting down your wall before you can get through, which means Force Bubble is a better panic button.

Also, Force Bubble allows you to push away locked doors.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: March 27, 2011, 02:31:35 pm »

Oh. :I
Well still. Sprint, force wall and then kindle is good for me, takes out the tougher things. And what is it with espers and such?
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: March 27, 2011, 09:00:06 pm »

Force bubble is definitely worth the 2 extra points over force wall. It is a REALLY nice mutation. Though Force Wall is great to save those two points.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: March 27, 2011, 10:45:11 pm »

Force wall+force bubble is where its at.
You can get like 40/50 rounds of consecutive melee immunity. Just sit there and spam attacks at them while they can't do anything about it  :).
And what is it with espers and such?
What do you mean?
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: March 27, 2011, 11:22:40 pm »

Alright, I've started a new character. Name of Santa. Has wings, freezing hands, analytical genius, night vision, thick fur, kindle, and spontaneous combustion. Argyve started with a nice gift of a Force Bracelet data disc, which I just managed to afford. Should be fun giving gifts to the good mutants and freezing the bad mutants.

Edit: Fricken Leeches didn't like my gifts of frozen blood and life drained me while I was in the air. I'll have to try again with Santa Two.

Edit2:While flying around with Santa Two, I discovered that one can slip on ice while flying. A quick test discovers that one can also slip on slime while airborne.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Just got that spoiler message. Game froze completely. Had wings, frozen hands, genius, beak, and photo skin. Had just purchased a desert rifle, musket, and some slugs, and the area I went into had a equimax unique lair discovered via walking around, and I went into it from the map.

Edit number buh: I just took tinkering III, and got a choice between an EMP grenade I, an HE missile, and a willpower autoinjector. I'm pretty sure the grenade and injector are tinker I, and I don't think the missile is tinker III. Are you supposed to get lower level tinker recipes when picking up the higher tiers?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:37:46 am by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: March 28, 2011, 04:04:58 am »

What, you expected to get a free Hand-E-Nuke or Timecube data disk?

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: March 28, 2011, 04:21:31 am »

What, you expected to get a free Hand-E-Nuke or Timecube data disk?
I thought that when you buy the next tinker skill you get to pick a datadisk of that level :P
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: March 28, 2011, 04:24:06 am »

It would have been nice. Granted, Wings (6) beats hand e nuke hands down. The fact that I can sit in the middle of ten equimaxes and just spam frost hands and get several k of xp is nice. Only issue with it is that dragonflies are NASTY once they can actually hit you.

Honestly, Argyve tends to have more tinker III discs then anything else. Rather annoying seeing that amazing time cube recipe and knowing I won't have the parts for it for another 20 levels.

Edit: Another bug. When flying with wings, you can be impaled by young ivory.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:44:33 am by beorn080 »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: March 28, 2011, 04:42:10 am »

BUG: Flying Dragonfly turned hostile (probably because i put it in part of my force wall), and started attacking me while I was on the ground. (nearly killed me too since i was a mental mutant, most of my abilities were on cool down, and i didn't notice it attacking me for like 5 turns).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:52:00 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: March 28, 2011, 04:46:33 am »

Dude, I don't think it' a bug if you force wall a dragonfly and it gets mad.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: March 28, 2011, 04:50:14 am »

No. Just me tripping. For some reason i thought that dragonflies couldn't attack you when you are on the ground (although going by the fact that they all are right now, it seems they can).
EDIT: figured it out. They can when they aren't flying. Which they aren't currently (because im underground mabey?). But when they are in the air they cant.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:51:53 am by lemon10 »

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 250