Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570250 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1320 on: March 22, 2011, 07:32:27 pm »

24/24/14 will/ego/agi, +2 will job, take force bubble, force wall, light manipulation, and esper. Level 5, pick a new random mutation, preferably something highly offensive. Pick up a pistol or rifle early on, musket works well until you can upgrade it, and keep your gear light. Lightest 3 AV armor you can find early on, though upgrade to 4 AV as soon as you can, even if its fairly heavy. A cudgel works wonders for knocking through walls if you must. Get the first glowsphere you see sold in Joppa, and snag butchery.

Standard combat will be to spam Lase until the melee mob reaches you, then pop force bubble to push em away. If forcebubble is about to end, drop a force wall to protect yourself. If your out of Lase shots, start plinking away with your musket. Depending on what you pick up at level 4, you'll have a massive boost to power. If your lucky, you get disintegration, which is utterly amazing with force bubble. Otherwise, any of the other offensive esper abilities are ideal.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: March 22, 2011, 08:18:21 pm »

Bugs 'n Balance patch

*DV will now apply to projectile weapons at a -5 penalty
*Cleaned up the range weapon damage messages a bit
*Many skill requirements and costs reduced
*A few skill requirements and costs increased
*New Acrobatics base power - Swift Reflexes
*Dodge renamed to Spry
*You may no longer charge into an empty square for free
*Harvestry now grants the harvest power for free when purchasing the skill, cost updated to 75
*Wayfaring now grants the mind's compass power for free when purchasing the skill, cost updated to 100
*Fixed setting yourself as a target causing your followers to attack you
*Fixed a few instances where followers would get incorrectly angry at their party leader
*'Travel to Golgotha' will now correctly be triggered when entering the Golgotha zone for 'More Than a Willing Spirit'
*It is now more obvious in the UI that ego is modifying the effective level of Mental mutations
*Disassembling items with effects (i.e. bloody), will no-longer add names with those effects to your tinkering blueprint list
*Aquatic monsters will be less passive when being attacked from land
*Aquatic creatures will no-longer move onto land when fleeing
*Fixed an issue with Reverse Engineering that would cause items to sometimes remain in your inventory when disassembling them, if you already know the recipie
*Pyrokinesis should now correctly use 1000 energy
*Tweaked the terminal bitmaps to remove a couple minor artifacts
*Fixed 'leaking' text from the left list of items to the right on the trade screen

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: March 22, 2011, 08:21:32 pm »

What does this mean?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: March 22, 2011, 08:22:51 pm »

Yes! Thank goodness! It was already hard enough just getting to the level where you can get even half-decent stuff without utterly specializing.

:o That was possible? Heheheh, that brings an image to mind.

Does this break save compatibility?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: March 22, 2011, 08:25:49 pm »

Yes! Thank goodness! It was already hard enough just getting to the level where you can get even half-decent stuff without utterly specializing.

:o That was possible? Heheheh, that brings an image to mind.

Does this break save compatibility?

Yes, it'll break old saves.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: March 22, 2011, 08:29:41 pm »

What does this mean?

DV didn't apply to missile weapons at all before, only melee attacks. So it's a reasonably large buff to DV. However, it's harder to dodge missile weapons (by -5), unless you have the Swift Reflexes power (which removes the penalty, making dodge [DV] work equally well against missile and melee weapons)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: March 22, 2011, 08:31:05 pm »

Does the DV apply to most mutations as well? I can see Sunder Mind being an auto hit, but something like Flame Hands shouldn't be.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: March 22, 2011, 08:59:39 pm »

Does the DV apply to most mutations as well? I can see Sunder Mind being an auto hit, but something like Flame Hands shouldn't be.

Most mutations are unaffected by AV or DV at the moment, that may change in the future.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: March 22, 2011, 09:10:53 pm »

So, the Mehmet died to an albino ape REALLY early. Like before I've even levelled once early, haven't even talked to him yet. How screwed am I?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: March 22, 2011, 09:15:23 pm »

So, the Mehmet died to an albino ape REALLY early. Like before I've even levelled once early, haven't even talked to him yet. How screwed am I?
Screwed in the way you won't get the watervine quest. That has no real impact outside of the rewards you would've gotten. You can still go Grit Gate if you help Argyve, I think.

Also, remember to kill the elder now, you shouldn't let 1000XP and good loot go to waste.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: March 22, 2011, 09:20:03 pm »

This game gets infuriating to play after a little while. I mean, I load up the game and I get absolutely horrible frames, and such extreme lag. At first, like when I first start a game, I can play just fine. However, around when I get to Golgatha, everything started messing up. I would be able to play a little, able to walk around normally and whatnot, but then it would just... stop. I mean, I wouldn't be able to move, I'd be frozen with lag. My last character, and also my best character, got destroyed when I rage-quit'd after I couldn't move and went away to do something else for a while, then came back to still see it frozen.

Anybody have any tips of not making the game eventually lag it's way to hell?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: March 22, 2011, 09:26:09 pm »

This game gets infuriating to play after a little while. I mean, I load up the game and I get absolutely horrible frames, and such extreme lag. At first, like when I first start a game, I can play just fine. However, around when I get to Golgatha, everything started messing up. I would be able to play a little, able to walk around normally and whatnot, but then it would just... stop. I mean, I wouldn't be able to move, I'd be frozen with lag. My last character, and also my best character, got destroyed when I rage-quit'd after I couldn't move and went away to do something else for a while, then came back to still see it frozen.

Anybody have any tips of not making the game eventually lag it's way to hell?

How much RAM do you have? It's pretty RAM intensive. You could try turning on some of the 'low memory environment' options.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: March 22, 2011, 11:38:23 pm »

Screwed in the way you won't get the watervine quest. That has no real impact outside of the rewards you would've gotten. You can still go Grit Gate if you help Argyve, I think.

Also, remember to kill the elder now, you shouldn't let 1000XP and good loot go to waste.

Well you could do that or you coul hope for a few errors, those are fun, and don't seem to effect you too much... Though one bad error and everything can go ka-pluey.
I personally enjoy the errors as they reset the places i've been to, allowing me to explore them again and kill all the creatures again.

-----

My god, adventure as follows.

You are lost (somewhere around the cave of eaters).
Ok, ill just explore a bit.
Oh hey look, downstairs, well, i'm still lost, lets go down them.
"You recognize your surroundings" No i don't.
Well since im here, might as well go to the bottom.
FIFTEEN LEVELS LATER.
A SHIT LOAD of loot, like, 37 copper nuggets, 5 silver nuggets, countless weapons, and many many guns that i had to dissassemble as i have no use of them, oh, and a 6 fingered gauntlent, that was pretty cool.
Came close to dying about three times, twice to a damn ant queen and her workers, one to an ambush of ants and goats, luckily got up the stairs and they woke a slumbering.

Oh, and i got to level 25. Slam is WORTH IT, daaaaaaaaaaamn.
Overall, a great spelunking.
Deepest random level you guys have been down to?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:40:51 pm by silhouette »
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: March 22, 2011, 11:50:08 pm »

~3? Something like that.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: March 22, 2011, 11:51:49 pm »

I went down to level five or so in Red Rock. And then I got attacked by a couple of eyeless giant crabs at once. I got out alive by three hp, so I decided that was probably a sign that I should turn back.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 250