Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570132 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1200 on: March 20, 2011, 11:07:43 pm »

I've never been harmed by extreme cold.
Yeah, it doesn't hurt. Just don't expect to be going anywhere for a while. Also, if you freeze yourself while near a group of enemies you can watch as enemies try to attack you but freeze themselves. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: March 20, 2011, 11:23:50 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing a bonus for hitting frozen things (or a penalty for being hit while frozen). Maybe a blunt damage bonus, equivalent to brittle bones, but with an extra point or two of AV? (Maybe the AV scales based on the temperature difference?) Or maybe just more penetration? Chance to dismember?

It is also likely that the few turns they spend stunned (a lot of turns if they are extremely cold) is enough of a bonus compare to fire damage's residual damage over time.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: March 21, 2011, 01:26:12 am »

I haven't seen this elsewhere, so figured might as well put it here. To recharge Solar Cells. Drop them out in the open. I did a test by dropping one drained one in the middle of Joppa, and carried another with me to the Rust Wells. By the time I had gotten the 200 feet of copper wire and came back, the one in Joppa was fully charged, and the one on me was still dead. So there ya go!

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: March 21, 2011, 02:55:11 am »

Haha, holy shit, just only realised (While right near the end of the quest for the jungle village) that it was basically a giant reference to 'Apocolypse Now' The whole following the river, being swamped by natives, talking to the guy JUST before you get to the guy you have to kill (The guy you talk to says similar stuff to what the hippie does in the move).
And i'm hoping that the goatman you have to kill does the same stuff in the movie.

Fire Ants can be a bitch, but you learn just to bum rush them as they're pretty weak in melee, worker ants however, now THOSE can be annoying, average in melee with gas to boot, though they soon become easy aswell.

So how far has everyone got to?
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: March 21, 2011, 03:02:20 am »

Somewhere deep inside the place you need to go in the Grit Gate's second quest. Can't remember the name, it's north of the place where you get the waydroids. I just don't seem to live any longer than that, sadly.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: March 21, 2011, 03:08:45 am »

Found the critters in the Red Rock.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: March 21, 2011, 03:42:34 am »

my furthest character just found a rainboweave cloak in the 2nd or 3rd level below the waydroids floor in Golgotha.
My WIZARD went to the spire and is at it's 40th - 45th life thanks to some uniques and fireants. 
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: March 21, 2011, 07:24:55 am »

Just beat the jungle quest, damn mamno (sp) is annoying, especially as my characer (level 20) is a crazy tinker decked out in heavy armour with -7 dodge. Offensive skill being Cudgel (I love this folded carbite hammer i have now).
Damn crazy bastard flies sometimes. Not a match for a few mk 2 HE grenades.

That quest gives a great reward for all aswell... Unless you are way too high level for it.

For all you tinkers out there, and those dabbling in it, what kinds of stuff can you make?
Mine currently are:
Spectacles
Acid gas grenade MkIII
Instaheal injector
Freeze grenade mkII
Regenera injector  (Where in blazes do i get Photonics anyway, never found a place that sells them or anything that has them in it)
High Explosive grenade MkII
Poison Gas grenade MkIII
Desert Rifle
Pump Shotgun
Borderland Revolver
Sleep Gas Grenade mk III
Semi-automatic Pistol
Grenade launcher

All in order.
Don't ask why i picked spectacles...

p.s.
Hachnslay, how the hell do you kill twinlampreys?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:55:05 am by silhouette »
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: March 21, 2011, 08:10:40 am »

p.s.
Hachnslay, how the hell do you kill twinlampreys?
Disintegrate and other AOE stuff. - this far only my WIZARD has encountered them.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: March 21, 2011, 08:13:16 am »

I haven't seen this elsewhere, so figured might as well put it here. To recharge Solar Cells. Drop them out in the open. I did a test by dropping one drained one in the middle of Joppa, and carried another with me to the Rust Wells. By the time I had gotten the 200 feet of copper wire and came back, the one in Joppa was fully charged, and the one on me was still dead. So there ya go!

It actually only takes a few hours game-time. You can drop them on the ground and just lean on numpad 5 for a few seconds and they'll be fully recharged fairly quickly.

However, they don't contain as much charge as chem cells. For example, recoilers completely deplete solar cells in a single use, while chem cells can power 3 or 4 uses of a recoiler before they need to be recharged. If you're a Tinker I (and have Recharge Cell), chem cells might be less of a hassle. Although it costs resources, it is one of the most common types and even Argyve and the grit gate pattern dealer frequently scrap that can be disassembled into them.

I wouldn't mind seeing the ability to recharge solar cells by travelling on the world map. I also wish you could recharge cells without removing them from their object.

Regarding the jungle quest's loot:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The only way I've gotten photonics has been with a lucky roll when disassembling regenera boosters. Similar thing with pure alloy, and I haven't seen anything that gives pristine electronics or nanomaterials yet.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:26:12 am by Niveras »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: March 21, 2011, 08:27:35 am »

A pair of solar cells would negate 99% of costs of recoilering though. Leave one at Joppa, dive with the other, recoil, swap cells, and you'll save dozens of materials in the long run. Lots of healing or explosives.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: March 21, 2011, 08:29:44 am »

I've gotten as far as the second or third level of Golgotha right before-as I have mentioned before-a super-fly with barbed legs absolutely murdered me.

Anyways, does anyone know how to get a rending mandible from a salthopper? Do you have to have masterful butchery and kill one to get a rending mandible (IE 'special item') or do you have to dismember one from a salthopper? Just curious since an enemy in Grit Gate (hermit or spark tick, I dunno) dropped one, and well, it was pretty awesome, with it's 1d10 damage.

Edit: Also, in my mainly true human tinker-character games, I frequently find myself with a crap-load of the low-tier scrap bits (scrap crystal, power system, etc.) and a decent bit of some higher-tier stuff, such as pure alloy (which I had around 7 of last game) and flawless crystal (of which I had around 3). The trick for me is that I bum-rush my way up the tinker skill tree until I can get expert disassemble, which is pretty nice since any spare technological items you find yourself with (pump shotguns, unneeded revolvers, etc.), you can disassemble them and usually they'll have something special like pure alloy or flawless crystal. Still not that good, though.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:36:44 am by Repulsion »
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: March 21, 2011, 08:40:15 am »

HUGE spoiler, do not open
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: March 21, 2011, 10:15:28 am »

wishing for
"scraps"
gave me The Ultimate Scrap ... is that in the game or only obtainable in Wizardmode ?
also: the bit list breaks the boundary off the item description window while looking at it.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: March 21, 2011, 12:44:10 pm »

Argyve has a data disk for a "corrupt banana".

I am veeeery far from being able to afford it, but I couldnt resist taking it if i had the money. Even over an instaheal injector data disk.

EDIT: Anyone know what a medication autoinjector does?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:46:26 pm by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 250