Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570122 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1185 on: March 20, 2011, 08:09:30 pm »

I can carry 390 LBS so I good for now.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: March 20, 2011, 08:10:22 pm »

I wonder why do you do it at all, I mean one or two turns of idling, and you still remove the fire. You still lose a turn to splash water on yourself, so it's MAXIMUM an advantage of one or two turns.

I can carry 390 LBS so I good for now.
Yeah but I prefer to stay underweight to use the dodge bonus.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: March 20, 2011, 08:10:57 pm »

Those are not counter-arguments. I didn't say "replace all water with money", I meant "keep the amount of water you need" and put the rest into currency. Also, stillsuits.

And you don't need water to douse fires. Just spend one turn to stop it.
They are not only counter-arguments, they are the best counter-arguments. You are a horrible anti-water advocate who will lead our Post-Apocalyptic nightmare into rui-

More ruin. I've never seen a stillsuit, and what's this about spending a turn to stop fires?

But you can't douse fires with money if you exchange your water for metal.
You can grab some salt water. It works too.
And? I want to put out fires by pouring money on them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: March 20, 2011, 08:12:30 pm »

That was crazy stupid bloody salthopper.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: March 20, 2011, 08:15:14 pm »

You don't have to pour water to stop a fire. If you stand on one place it goes out by itself (actually it says that you stop it).

I've never seen a stillsuit
You can start with one if you pick Nomad background, and I've found a few.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: March 20, 2011, 08:16:46 pm »

I've waited for hundreds of turns in a single spot without my character's very slow inceneration stopping.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: March 20, 2011, 08:19:31 pm »

Do you play the recent version? If I press "numpad5" the fire stops in 2-3 turns. I constantly fight those fire lizards in salt dunes, so I know what I am talking about :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: March 20, 2011, 08:37:27 pm »

...You're crazy.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: March 20, 2011, 08:44:42 pm »

...You're crazy.
"Crazy" is a word used by fools and malcontents with no vison! I am enlightened beyond what you could ever hope to comprehend.
No Gods, No Masters.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: March 20, 2011, 08:57:42 pm »

Anyone got any tips for getting past that super-fly with barbed legs in Golgatha?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: March 20, 2011, 09:08:41 pm »

This video shows how to do it:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/63227
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: March 20, 2011, 09:41:37 pm »

Those are not counter-arguments. I didn't say "replace all water with money", I meant "keep the amount of water you need" and put the rest into currency. Also, stillsuits.

And you don't need water to douse fires. Just spend one turn to stop it.

It doesn't always take one turn. The game actually tracks temperature (the T:# reading in the sidebar where your stats are also listed). If you are very hot, it takes longer to put out the fire. If you are very, very, very hot, you get flash fired and insta-die.

Some areas later can be comprised of many mobs that all spit unavoidable fire at you all at once, you might not have time to put out the fire without using water while they are advancing on you.

Money is pretty useless anyway. Maybe if your ego is low (very possible if you're playing a melee character) but loot is generally better lbs:value than water anyway. A container of 64 drams is 17 lbs (the container is 1lb, so 4 drams is 1lb), but at ~24 ego a 5lb steel weapon might be worth 25 or 30 drams, you can quickly buy out everything useful on a vendor, until they get restocked, and they rarely have anything that is highly useful and very expensive. I think the most expensive thing I bought was a 5 AV fullerite flake armor, but it was 90 lbs and severely cut into what I could carry around. I opted to use a 5AV -5DV carbide plate instead, which was only about 30 lbs.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:46:02 pm by Niveras »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: March 20, 2011, 10:37:20 pm »

Some areas later can be comprised of many mobs that all spit unavoidable fire at you all at once, you might not have time to put out the fire without using water while they are advancing on you.
Yeah, fire ants are my main source of death :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: March 20, 2011, 10:54:39 pm »

Yeah, fire ants are my main source of death :P.
I say you get revenge: Learn how to tinker MKIII freeze grenades, make them, and start chucking. Just remember that it's EXTREMELY cold (about -1000 degrees!) near (about two tiles from) the explosion center. They're pretty fun to use, since everything within 7 or so tiles freezes.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: March 20, 2011, 11:04:59 pm »

I've never been harmed by extreme cold. I don't know if there's a cold counterpart to Vaporization, but -1000 degrees is past absolute zero in both Fahrenheit and Celsius, so....
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 250