Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570008 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1050 on: March 18, 2011, 11:29:36 pm »

So. I've encountered a twining lamprey. How exactly do I, uh....make it stay dead?!
Lets hear a quick summary of your loadout. We can't really help without knowing what you can do.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 18, 2011, 11:31:38 pm »

The lampreys have become a moot point, as while I was running away from them while on fire I rounded a corner and some thing confused me and teleported me to some generic ruin, also making me lost in the process. I have no idea where I am, and won't untill I get unlost.

TERROREDIT: OH MY FUCK IT TELEPORTED ME INTO THE DEATHLANDS. I have to get away from this side of the map, ASAP.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 11:34:18 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: March 18, 2011, 11:39:48 pm »

When playing a mutant do you get more mutations when you lvl up ?

As covered, you can buy a new mutation if you save up enough mutation points. You can also choose the Unstable Genome at character creation and get a 33% chance each level to choose a new random mutation from a selection of three. Presumably this will happen once per the number of times you took unstable genome. It is not very efficient, since it costs 3 of your starting 12 mutation points to select each Unstable Genome, but I suppose you can get lucky and get to choose an expensive mutation (like Regeneration or Force Bubble, which cost 5 each) for cheap.

So. I've encountered a twining lamprey. How exactly do I, uh....make it stay dead?!
Kill both partners in the same turn. Get creative.
I have repeatadly risked point-blank suicide grenading on them, and it hasn't worked.

Use a stronger grenade. Baring some bug that you might have, you pretty much have to kill them both in an explosion. Since they keep pace with you quite easily it's tough to get to a safe distance to use it. Maybe if you have some reliable way of stunning or freezing them you can try that: bring them low, freeze them, hope they don't unfreeze while you kill the one, and hope the other doesn't unfreeze while you kill it. But I don't know if it'll work; they're not affected by my sleeping gas, and I haven't tried many of the esper powers.

Remember to bring both of them to low health before you blow them up: both at badly wounded if you can manage it. If you accidentally kill one while trying to whittle it down, just try again on the fresh spawn.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 11:44:39 pm by Niveras »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: March 18, 2011, 11:41:46 pm »

TERROREDIT: OH MY FUCK IT TELEPORTED ME INTO THE DEATHLANDS. I have to get away from this side of the map, ASAP.
Well, look on the bright side, at least you'll see the end of the game again. ;D
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: March 18, 2011, 11:43:55 pm »

The lampreys have become a moot point, as while I was running away from them while on fire I rounded a corner and some thing confused me and teleported me to some generic ruin, also making me lost in the process. I have no idea where I am, and won't untill I get unlost.

On the bright side, there is a small but possible chance there isn't much in the deathlands. Though your probably gonna die.

Stealth edit: Actually, stop moving. Look at your inventory. Got a recoiler?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 18, 2011, 11:54:26 pm »

I have two different recoilers, but I already hiked my way back to the cave I was at before. I saw a Chrome Pyramid in the Deathlands. Having learned my lesson about them last time, I frigging booked it. Very close call. Unfortunately, those lampreys are probably still in my quest cave, along with whatever the hell managed to teleport me from one side of the world map to the other, much more hazardous side.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: March 18, 2011, 11:58:30 pm »

Have you considered a shotgun/chaingun for the lampreys? Either get them next to each other and open up with the shotty to hit them both at once, or line em up and unload with the chaingun and hopefully kill em both in one burst.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 18, 2011, 11:59:35 pm »

Before I play this game, can someone tell me how hard it is?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: March 19, 2011, 12:01:00 am »

Your character will die three hours ago. In addition, the fact that there's an region called the Deathlands should probably tip you off.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: March 19, 2011, 12:04:14 am »

Your character will die three hours ago. In addition, the fact that there's an region called the Deathlands should probably tip you off.
Aww, don't scare the newbie.

The game is about as hard as nethack is, though it gives you access to nearly all regions early on. The difficulty depends on your pace: Too fast, you'll die. Too slow, you'll get bored. Get it just right, you'll enjoy it.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: March 19, 2011, 01:07:05 am »

A bug that is more annoying then urgent, when in a one square hallway running east/west, your light illuminates the walls to the east two squares but the western squares only to one, so it makes it easy to run into the various wall bound plants. Not especially deadly, but it gets annoying.

Just for you bro:

*Line of sight calculations are now radially symmetrical

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 19, 2011, 07:20:47 am »

The game is about as hard as nethack is, though it gives you access to nearly all regions early on. The difficulty depends on your pace: Too fast, you'll die. Too slow, you'll get bored. Get it just right, you'll enjoy it.
I wouldn't say its as hard as nethack. In Nethack you can run into a Gnome with a Wand of Death very early with zero warning. At least here, you get the option to investigate uniques that might have such abilities, and they are shown automatically as different.

Although, searching for the glowpad merchant and finding a ruin with a spitting slug and a traipsing mortar hurts too.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: March 19, 2011, 07:34:53 am »

I wouldn't say its as hard as nethack. In Nethack you can run into a Gnome with a Wand of Death very early with zero warning. At least here, you get the option to investigate uniques that might have such abilities, and they are shown automatically as different.

Although, searching for the glowpad merchant and finding a ruin with a spitting slug and a traipsing mortar hurts too.
Yeah, Nethack is harder IMHO because in Nethack you can die ANYWHERE. Here there are dangerous locations and not-so-dangerous; and the area around Joppa becomes easy and boring very quick as you level up.

Against twinning lampreys: use freeze mines to run away if you need. Snipe them to low health. Use a high damage grenade (mkII or mkIII). Profit.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: March 19, 2011, 08:06:47 am »

Anyone tried the "extra content" debug option?
It seems to give 2 new mutations and new defects but besides that I don't know what it does.

Also cudgels are god

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: March 19, 2011, 08:18:03 am »

Yeah, I was a fan of axes, but now I see that decapitation has a VERY low chance to happen, while ALWAYS 2x damage and flurry of strikes are the skills which make you to kill Everything :). I just miss the "cleave" the axes have.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 250