Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 569950 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1020 on: March 18, 2011, 07:18:06 pm »

Yeah, it's been bugging me too. They shouldn't be called pump shotguns because it defies the meaning of pump shotguns, namely that you have to reload every shot instead of pumping.

The reloading seems to simulate the pumping. Though that means you have an infinite magazine? Hmm...
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 18, 2011, 07:20:21 pm »

Except pumping such a shotgun is much faster then loading a shell by hand.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 18, 2011, 07:20:58 pm »

I'm using an almost ludicrously powerful combination of mutations right now: Burgeoning, Photosynthetic Skin, Light Manipulation, and Siphon Vim.  Burgeoning especially is a barrel of laughs, after being infuriated by all those cave plants so many time.  Now I get to drop a tar pit on tough enemies, but I don't get any experience if I don't kill them myself.  Siphon Vim is incredibly useful against Average quality foes - just whack them a couple times, throw on Siphon, and run for it.  But Light Manipulation really takes the cake - it's a moderately damaging, almost unerring, no-cooldown pistol with regenerating ammo.  Oh yeah, and I don't have to eat, or even see sunshine more than once every few days.

Questions: My mutations seem to be growing in level on their own, in pace with gaining character levels without spending points.  Only, some of them do, some of them don't.  Is this normal?

If I hit the "Random Mutation" button, and don't like any of the choices, do I get to cancel?

I keep finding what appear to be roads winding around through the wastelands.  Will following them lead me anywhere worthwhile that random wandering wouldn't?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 18, 2011, 07:24:03 pm »

Questions: My mutations seem to be growing in level on their own, in pace with gaining character levels without spending points.  Only, some of them do, some of them don't.  Is this normal?
Yes, positive Ego bonuses level up mental mutations.

If I hit the "Random Mutation" button, and don't like any of the choices, do I get to cancel?
I don't think so. If you could, it would be exploiting the random factor since you can just keep hitting the random mutation button again and again until you got the mutation you wanted.

I keep finding what appear to be roads winding around through the wastelands.  Will following them lead me anywhere worthwhile that random wandering wouldn't?
Once, I had a road in the salt dunes. I followed it, but it both ended in the middle of nowhere and started in the middle of nowhere, as far as I can remember.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 18, 2011, 07:31:01 pm »

Once, I had a road in the salt dunes. I followed it, but it both ended in the middle of nowhere and started in the middle of nowhere, as far as I can remember.
The Dunes have Eyes

seeyou

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: March 18, 2011, 07:32:13 pm »

Moot point now anyway.  I got ganged up on by two-headed boars.  I killed them all, but I got overconfident fighting one of those grishling cultists... and got shot to death by the seed-spitters that I spawned.  That is the one pot-hole with Burgeoning, those things have hideous accuracy when you're trying to melee someone.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: March 18, 2011, 07:33:43 pm »

Note, and this is fairly major, negative ego PREVENTS leveling up your mental mutations, even with mutation points, until you have made up for the deficit. Thus, with a low ego character, mental mutations aren't very useful in the long run. Physical mutations are not subject to this, but also receive no bonuses from stats. In theory, mental mutations are far superior to physical in the long term, since the standard limit to mutations is 10 ranks, but mental mutations can go beyond that. However, early on, physical mutations have significantly more power and can fit into any build.

If you hit random mutation on the character screen, no you can't go back.

Edit: Where is this strange glowpad merchant anyway? I hear about em, but can't seem to find it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:45:01 pm by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: March 18, 2011, 07:55:22 pm »

Edit: Where is this strange glowpad merchant anyway? I hear about em, but can't seem to find it.
Somewhere in the marshes. From my games, he's usually one world map tile away from Joppa. Be careful, don't kill anything or let anything attack you in the same map he's in or he will become hostile. And he can be really nasty. Be thorough, too, he may hide behind a few trees. If you're not feeling like finding him yourself, you can turn the Options>Debug>Indicate overland encounters on the main map. That should show a gold $ sign on the map tile he's on. You'll still have to find him somewhere in those nine screens worth of marshes, though. Afterwards, it should be easy to recognize him, as he's cyan instead of purple.

In other news, I started a high Ego non-esper. He he, it's fun toasting things and running while they're still burning.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: March 18, 2011, 07:58:58 pm »

A bug with force bubble.

Even if you are in the middle of 200 snapjaws, throw up a force bubble and you can retreat to the world map instantly. Enemies also stop pathing to you, and you can shove them around, meaning you can push em around a corner and hide to heal easily.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: March 18, 2011, 08:46:18 pm »

What do you do for those color coded security doors? I only found a red card for red doors, but I'm out of luck when it comes to the other doors. In my old game, I managed to find a recipe for ridiculously powerful MK. III explosives and just chucked them at the doors to MOVE them out of the way; alas I do not have such a luxury this game. If I must use a weapon to bash down the door, what's a good weapon for bashing down said 200-HP doors?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: March 18, 2011, 08:51:19 pm »

What do you do for those color coded security doors? I only found a red card for red doors, but I'm out of luck when it comes to the other doors. In my old game, I managed to find a recipe for ridiculously powerful MK. III explosives and just chucked them at the doors to MOVE them out of the way; alas I do not have such a luxury this game. If I must use a weapon to bash down the door, what's a good weapon for bashing down said 200-HP doors?
There's nothing really good at bashing them down. Just force-bubble them away or throw an acid grenade at them.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: March 18, 2011, 08:52:10 pm »

If I must use a weapon to bash down the door, what's a good weapon for bashing down said 200-HP doors?

Disintegrate! I make a point to pick up that mutation when I can. It may not always remove the door, but it will remove all walls surrounding it. Just keep in mind that disintegrate affects a 7x7 box centered on you, destroying what's on the other side of the doors if you're too close to them.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: March 18, 2011, 08:53:41 pm »

If I must use a weapon to bash down the door, what's a good weapon for bashing down said 200-HP doors?

Disintegrate! I make a point to pick up that mutation when I can. It may not always remove the door, but it will remove all walls surrounding it. Just keep in mind that disintegrate affects a 7x7 box centered on you, destroying what's on the other side of the doors if you're too close to them.
And possibly leaving you face to face with angry enemies.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: March 18, 2011, 08:55:22 pm »

Acid gas. Stuff eats through everything but doesn't do TOO much damage to puny organics like the PC character.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: March 18, 2011, 08:58:19 pm »

There's nothing really good at bashing them down. Just force-bubble them away or throw an acid grenade at them.

There's also actually color coded keycards. But those are really rare.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 250