Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 569794 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #945 on: March 17, 2011, 07:45:16 pm »

So, damn, I'm doing better than ever before.  But now I'm in a situation where a QudWiki would really come in handy.  I've got a "droid scrambler" but I don't know how to use it, as in, I don't know how to make the interface do something with it.  And I've got a Scrap Shoveler trying to run me down.  Any veteran tips?

Unrelated questions: Do glowspheres ever run out of juice?  Is the "basic toolbox" actually used in any way?  And will I kill myself if I try to use a rusty (thermal) grenade?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 17, 2011, 07:53:03 pm »

I've got a "droid scrambler" but I don't know how to use it, as in, I don't know how to make the interface do something with it.
It's automatic. If the droids can be scrambled, it will scramble them without needing your input.
And I've got a Scrap Shoveler trying to run me down.
If you're a True Human, Rebuke Robot. If a Mutated Human, use your powers and hope for the best (honestly, in this case you're probably screwed unless your mutations are really powerful).
Do glowspheres ever run out of juice?
No, you can ditch the torches.
Is the "basic toolbox" actually used in any way?
Doesn't look like it.
And will I kill myself if I try to use a rusty (thermal) grenade?
Probably not, but I've managed to miss throw rolls so badly that my grenades only flew one space away from be, so use with caution and pray that RNG doesn't hate you today (even though we all know he hates all of us, every day).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 17, 2011, 07:58:56 pm »

I've got a "droid scrambler" but I don't know how to use it, as in, I don't know how to make the interface do something with it.
It's automatic. If the droids can be scrambled, it will scramble them without needing your input.
And I've got a Scrap Shoveler trying to run me down.
If you're a True Human, Rebuke Robot.

I already tried to Rebuke him twice, and got shoveled in the face for it.  I imagine it's a test, probably Intelligence or Ego, but it's not guaranteed.  I tried holding the Scrambler in one hand when I started fighting him, but it didn't seem to do anything.  Do I actually need to be holding it?  Because he was close to me for quite some time, and just having it in my inventory certainly didn't accomplish anything.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 17, 2011, 08:00:57 pm »

The droid scrambler appears to only work on waybots. And the toolkit seems to be a flavor item at best. I keep it around anyway. Tinkering doesn't feel right without just having it at least.

Robots should be shot. Rebuke robot is iffy, probally works off Ego. A gun or powers are the best bet. Though the saw ones should simply be avoided. Nasty things.

Here's a bit of a tip... When you're done with the tinker in Joppas quests you can simply kill him for his stuff. To prevent anyone else from getting pissed off either try to take stuff from his chests when he's the only one that can see you. Or shoot him until he dies from a dark corner of the map. That last one works on Caravan guards and masters too if you want their stuff.

I should also mention, Saw bots seem to have dismember and decapitate. Oh the things I've seen them do to hapless hermits... It'd turn your asshole purple.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:11:32 pm by Janet »
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 17, 2011, 08:26:40 pm »

A tip against robots. Get a shield and a fullerene axe. Get cleave. Profit :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 17, 2011, 08:27:49 pm »

Here's a bit of a tip... When you're done with the tinker in Joppas quests you can simply kill him for his stuff.
Though you won't get any new data disks. Same as with the merchant, you won't get any new stuff if you kill them.

Personally, I don't think it's worth it killing them: You'll have nowhere to dump the junk you don't want but the junk is worth quite a bit, thus it goes to waste. And as I said before, you won't ever get any new stuff.

Though there are two people I do recommend killing: The elder and the Strange Glowpad. The Elder because he's extremely weak and tends to drop good loot. The glowpad because it never gets any new stuff, though it's hard to kill.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 17, 2011, 08:39:09 pm »

Though you won't get any new data disks.

Wrong. There's another merchant at the grit gate. And killing the other merchant is just NOT worth it. He only has crap. I never suggested him. And the plant in the mushroom village and the other grit gate merchant both stock too much good stuff too much to be worth killing. Not that you SHOULD be buying anything if you can help it until you can secure some ego booster blueprints.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 17, 2011, 08:45:40 pm »

I personally find it easy to obtain nuggets, so I never kill merchants because I buy all I want :).

And isn't Argyve needed for the further quest line? I didn't go further than Golgotha in quests.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 17, 2011, 08:48:31 pm »

Though you won't get any new data disks.

Wrong. There's another merchant at the grit gate.
Yes, but I'm saying you won't get any new data disks from Joppa. Meaning if you're around that area you'll have to travel all the way back to the Grit Gates and back if you want disks.

And killing the other merchant is just NOT worth it. He only has crap. I never suggested him.
I know, I was just making an example: Killing either, and you won't get anything from them afterwards, just in case someone was thinking about it.

Not that you SHOULD be buying anything if you can help it until you can secure some ego booster blueprints.
Just wait until you pile all the crap you've been carrying around right in front of the merchant then sell it. You'll usually have a lot of money, enough to buy something.

I personally find it easy to obtain nuggets, so I never kill merchants because I buy all I want :).
Personally, I find nuggets are far rarer than two two-handed bronze longswords, which are usually worth more. And yes, I tend to not kill them because I buy what I want.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 17, 2011, 08:59:29 pm »

Okay, what the fuck is this.  I'm in this random unnamed cave, and a couple levels have several up staircases, including right next to each other.  I tried going up one set, and it put me in an enclosed room on a previous floor... with no attendant down-stair.  So I'm in a room with no exits, trying to bash my way through the shale wall with a mace.  Did the RNG just go crazy on me, or are random caves with staircases you can climb but not descend a normal thing?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 17, 2011, 09:03:56 pm »

No, it does that sometimes in unnamed caves. If you have a Joppa Recoiler, it's your only way out. If you don't have a Joppa Recoiler, then [Ctrl+W]ish one up and use it to get out. There's really no other option.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 17, 2011, 09:05:44 pm »

I once got out by simply bashing the walls with a sword, worked pretty well actually.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

fatherjimbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 17, 2011, 09:07:15 pm »

Edit* Question already answered 1 page back

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 17, 2011, 09:08:19 pm »

Yeah, since the walls are objects like any other object, you can actually hammer your way through them.  I just pulled it off with a bronze mace, although it did take a minute or two of leaning on the attack key.  I totally forgot about the debug commands, figures they're freely available to the player of a reason.  At least I'll know to watch myself in unnamed caves.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 17, 2011, 10:09:27 pm »

It's been a good while since I played this, back when the true human warden class was considered easy mode due to their great starting equipment and stats, and I reckon it's time to dive back in. One problem though, where do I download it from again? The link on the OP states that it's all the way from August of last year, and that can't be right.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 250