Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 569691 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #600 on: January 09, 2011, 01:40:40 am »

Have a care, especially with those sowers; deem goatbuggers are a serious step up from snapjaws :-\
No kidding. Just one bad spawn that creates a single goatfolk usually ends my early-game guys that are killing everything else.

Seriously, they have so much freaking health.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #601 on: January 09, 2011, 02:12:20 am »

It took me three attempts (Yes, I'm save-scumming, but that's how I choose to play the game). It took me three attempt not because the goatfolks were so hard. I've killed them in small groups before. The problem was the shaman guy.

There are two downstairs entrances to this place. On my first attempt to scout out what happens, I go down the northern stairs, which is where I first spotted the goatfolk group and they are decently close to the stairs.

You are stunned for this round!

His stuns do anywhere from no damage to a whopping 17, and for me they lasted up to three turns. Oh, and I'm not really stunned. I run in terror TOWARDS THEM. So instead of being on the safety of the stairs, I'm now surrounded by them. I have 85 max hp (Miraculously on this playthrough I've not had to savescum except once when I mashed down the movement key and watched as the program lagged to keep up. When it stopped I was dead due to 3 salthoppers), and I'm pretty high level. I had around 50 hp by the end of that, and 20-30 by the time I make it back to the stairs fleeing. A goatfolk followed me up and I killed it. I waited for others, none came, so I just meditated and regenned my health. That happened a couple more times in the same fashion with me whittling down their health. The last time it happened I somehow ended up with a few goatfolk between me and the stairs but there was a goatfolk that just stayed on the stairs. Before I could kill him I was blasted again with the terror-stun and died.

So I save-scum and decide to create some grenades in order to take them down. I hop down, getting terror-stunned, but this time I end up like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
With the stairs to the Northwest. I never got the opportunity to lob the grenade.

The third time I used the other set of stairs, made more grenades, and equipped my sniper rifle. It wasn't far from them, but as soon as I saw the shaman I was hit with the terror-stun. Luckily my guy ran into a small hallway (the one leading back to where I came). I decide to guard the hallway, forcing them into a chokepoint. I kill the first two goatfolks, get terror-stunned and run further back. With my life teetering at 20 hp, I fight off the rest of the goatfolk (The sowers didn't firebomb me, luckily), and end up near 10 hp with the last terror-stun which hits me from behind a wall because I'm not running the new version. I try to beat the terror-stun with my regen, but it kept knocking me down until I used meditate and then regenned. I got my health to about 50 then rushed the shaman. I killed him in two hits, got his stuff, and finished another area.

Of note, Goatfolk hornblowers are similar terror-inducers, but I don't think they deal nearly as much damage.

tl;dr: Unless you save-scum or have hp upwards of 60 (upwards of 120 in the case of the group I met) HP, do NOT mess with purple Goatfolk Shamans, even if they have floating shinies that you covet.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 09, 2011, 02:19:53 am »

Hm, found something strange; went down the under-the-pond route to Red Rock and apparently I finished the first objective the second I went down the stairs; Travel to Red Rock. I also found Baboons in the level, which never has happened before. I think the game might've thought that the first underground level is the top Red Rock level.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #603 on: January 09, 2011, 02:20:42 am »

Hm, found something strange; went down the under-the-pond route to Red Rock and apparently I finished the first objective the second I went down the stairs; Travel to Red Rock. I also found Baboons in the level, which never has happened before. I think the game might've thought that the first underground level is the top Red Rock level.
Same happened to me. Exactly. Got the quest update and then found baboons.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 09, 2011, 02:22:26 am »

Same happened to me. Exactly. Got the quest update and then found baboons.

This isn't really a bug, just some weird encounters possible in that place. The entire dungeon counts as redrock for the quest, so the quest competion is working as intended.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 09, 2011, 02:30:33 am »

Unormal, bug; with the highlight stairs option, I can see stairs(or more accurately, pink squares) even though I never even saw them before.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 09, 2011, 02:39:31 am »

Unormal, bug; with the highlight stairs option, I can see stairs(or more accurately, pink squares) even though I never even saw them before.

Make sure you grab the latest, I posted a fix. Amazon might not have updated.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 09, 2011, 02:46:21 am »

Make sure you grab the latest, I posted a fix. Amazon might not have updated.
Oh, you ninja-updated. You sneaky thing you.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 09, 2011, 03:12:00 am »

Ok so I just lost a powerful character to something really stupid. Spoiler is the story of how it happened, don't really need to read it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My question is.. how do I deal with the cloned lampreys (I think that's what they're called)? They're so damned annoying. Couldn't find anything on them in this thread.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 09, 2011, 03:15:25 am »

They're called Twinned Lamprey(s). That's why you couldn't find them in the search. To kill them you have to kill both of the pair at the same time. For melee longsword chars use Windmill. For mutants with AoE spells make sure they're both targeted. For everyone else, either chaingun or shotgun.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 09, 2011, 04:21:48 am »

Ahh that makes sense.. I tried something along those lines by putting them both at critical health, but I never followed it up with a grenade or anything like that. I was dual wielding axes as a strength based character and wasn't using a ranged weapon. Well now I know, thanks for that.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #611 on: January 09, 2011, 04:56:02 am »

Does this game have a wiki yet?

Edit:

Also, finally found that legendary purple two headed boar. It also has a stunning force of doom. I got all really to do battle with it, and I use my movement keys usually to initiate combat (instead of cntrl+).

So I moved on top of the boar.
I'm pretty sure this is a bug, but because I'm not playing the newest version, and there was something about not occupying the same space in the patchlog, I think it's been fixed.

Correction: Not even cntrl+ actually allows me to attack the damn thing. I'm really confused. Using 'l', it shows up as hostile. I think I know what happened: It went invulnerable or something (it began flashing colors), and I couldn't attack it. It also didn't attack me for some reason. I went to go kill a nearby shooting plant, which hit the boar, and then I was able to hit the boar. I think the flashing colors had worn off by then though.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:18:57 am by Chaoswizkid »
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 09, 2011, 10:59:51 am »

Loving the pink stairs, thanks Unormal.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 09, 2011, 11:05:08 am »

Does this game have a wiki yet?

I don't believe it does. The game lacks a proper elaborate manual, too. IT NEEDS A WIKI. Who here is willing to start it up? I'm sure there would be contributors. I've hosted wikis before but I'm nowhere near qualified to contribute a lot of fan documentation to an elaborate project made by one person who is not me.

SirStrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 09, 2011, 11:39:14 am »

Quick question: What is the point of choosing esper and chimera? It doesn't seem to be required to choose one of them during character creation and they don't seem to give any bonuses. Will I not be able to get new mutations if I don't sink a point into one or the other?
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 250