Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 569845 times)

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #480 on: January 02, 2011, 06:38:49 pm »

Do you get an exception?

Yup:

RunSegment:System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007007A): The data area passed to a system call is too small. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007A)
   at ConsoleLib.Console.TextConsole.WriteConsoleOutput(IntPtr hConsoleOutput, CHAR_INFO[] lpBuffer, COORD dwBufferSize, COORD dwBufferCoord, SMALL_RECT& lpWriteRegion)
   at ConsoleLib.Console.TextConsole.DrawBuffer(ScreenBuffer Buffer) in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\ConsoleLib\ConsoleLib.Console.cs:line 2180
   at XRL.UI.WorldCreationProgress.Draw() in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\Game Core\UI Elements\World Creation Progress\XRL.UI.WorldCreationProgress.cs:line 79
   at XRL.UI.WorldCreationProgress.NextStep(String Text, Int32 TotalSteps) in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\Game Core\UI Elements\World Creation Progress\XRL.UI.WorldCreationProgress.cs:line 94
   at XRL.Core.XRLCore.NewGame() in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\Game Core\XRL.Core.cs:line 1550
   at XRL.Core.XRLCore.Start() in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\Game Core\XRL.Core.cs:line 2276
   at XRL.EntryPoint.Main(String[] args) in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\Game Core\XRL.EntryPoint.cs:line 64

If there is an easy solution that would be awesome! But this thing (intel GMA 950) is more than a little notorious for incompatibility with games that I don't dare get my hopes up.

That's pretty bizzare. The only things I can think of are to make sure you're running as administrator, and try running "Cmd" then navigating to the game directory: go to the properties...layout of the console buffer and make sure the buffer size is 80x25, and then run xrl.exe - console inside that command prompt window.

Pita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 02, 2011, 08:32:54 pm »

Hmm. No luck! It gives me the same exception error. That error was after typing in the character's name as a mutant, if I choose pure human then it crashes earlier, after rolling stats:

RunSegment:System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007007A): The data area passed to a system call is too small. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007A)
   at ConsoleLib.Console.TextConsole.WriteConsoleOutput(IntPtr hConsoleOutput, CHAR_INFO[] lpBuffer, COORD dwBufferSize, COORD dwBufferCoord, SMALL_RECT& lpWriteRegion)
   at ConsoleLib.Console.TextConsole.DrawBuffer(ScreenBuffer Buffer) in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\ConsoleLib\ConsoleLib.Console.cs:line 2186
   at XRL.UI.CreateCharacter.PickSubtype(ScreenBuffer SB) in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\Game Core\UI Elements\Character Creation\XRL.UI.CreateCharacter.cs:line 2308
   at XRL.UI.CreateCharacter.ShowCreateCharacter() in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\Game Core\UI Elements\Character Creation\XRL.UI.CreateCharacter.cs:line 340
   at XRL.Core.XRLCore.NewGame() in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\Game Core\XRL.Core.cs:line 1531
   at XRL.Core.XRLCore.Start() in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\Game Core\XRL.Core.cs:line 2276
   at XRL.EntryPoint.Main(String[] args) in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\Game Core\XRL.EntryPoint.cs:line 64

One quirk I have that might be related is that each key press seems to change the size of the font unless I go into the properties and set it myself.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 02, 2011, 09:06:22 pm »

Does the program require any redistributables? Eg, .NET, vC++ etc?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 02, 2011, 09:41:42 pm »

The game is built in .NET 2.0, so you'll need to install the .NET framework in order to run it; and it'll be Windows-only (sorry Mac/Linux guys, but it'd have taken me many times longer to do a project of this scope in c++). 

Was in first post of thread :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #484 on: January 02, 2011, 09:42:52 pm »

Is there anything I can do to run this on linux with mono? I'm not very experienced with that kind of thing, but I'd like to try.

edit-Or if mono won't do that, is there some other thing I could try?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 09:45:44 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 03, 2011, 12:15:38 am »

Have you tried wine?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #486 on: January 03, 2011, 12:19:45 am »

Wine can't emulate the .net framework. Mono should be able to, but I have no idea how to do that or even where to go to look up how.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #488 on: January 03, 2011, 01:07:12 am »

So it does. I had tried to run it on wine earlier and it didn't work... Hmm. I shall return after more testing. Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:09:32 am by Angle »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 03, 2011, 01:59:44 am »

Wine has .net
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=2586

Not quite. You have to install the framework just like you do for Windows.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 03, 2011, 05:56:10 am »

This game is awsome, I have spent 10 hours playing it in the last 2 days. nuff said.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #491 on: January 03, 2011, 12:03:14 pm »

indeed. unfortunately, the installer does not quite function. I found a script, winetricks, but I can't seem to get it to work either. I haven't figured out how the wineprefix works, or how to set up a clean one, so that may be the problem.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 03, 2011, 12:52:08 pm »

This game isn't too hard... ... until I run out of ammo... ... then I die horribly.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to get more bullets?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 03, 2011, 12:55:03 pm »

Tinkering and the non-Joppa merchants -- the grit gate and jungle-town ones usually carry a 150+ stack. Mostly tinkering, though. Lead slug is a tinker 1 recipe and brews up 50 bullets for one bit. There's cell using weapons (Laser pistol, electrobow/laser rifle, higher tier stuff.) as well. Chem and [energy] cells are both tier 1 items, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 03, 2011, 01:07:47 pm »

I thought that was part of wine having... anything... You know...

Eh, I haven't touched linux in years, don't mind me.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 250