Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570025 times)

RichardTheWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Bloody Nora!
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #405 on: December 29, 2010, 02:23:07 pm »

This is an amazingly entertaining game for how seemly simple the concept is, I've had endless hours of enjoyment in it.

I've found that Burgeoning is a very useful skill, I usually spawn a ton of plants around stairs, lure the enemies to follow me up the stairs and let the seed spitters and young ivories to stab them to death. I even took out a Slumberling at level 2 by letting the seed spitters shoot it to death!

A question about tinkering in general, when I disassemble a piece of something to yield a piece of crystal and scrap metal for example. I look at the 'Bit Locket' and see that I now have 1 of each scrap, however when I disassemble something else which would yield other things and another piece of crystal, the 'Bit Locker' will still show that I only have 1 piece of crystal. I'm not sure if I am reading it wrong though so any help is appreciated.

I commend you on a job well done Unormal, a fine piece of work indeed!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 29, 2010, 02:31:10 pm »

You don't always get all the scrap, unless you have expert disassembly, I think that's what you mean.
*Hugs*

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 29, 2010, 02:32:20 pm »

A question about tinkering in general, when I disassemble a piece of something to yield a piece of crystal and scrap metal for example. I look at the 'Bit Locket' and see that I now have 1 of each scrap, however when I disassemble something else which would yield other things and another piece of crystal, the 'Bit Locker' will still show that I only have 1 piece of crystal. I'm not sure if I am reading it wrong though so any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the kind words, glad you're enjoying it!

Until you have 'expert disassembly' you do not always get the full bit cost when disassembling an item.

RichardTheWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Bloody Nora!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 29, 2010, 02:35:55 pm »

Thank you Unormal and Merchant for your help, I understand now. I thought I was suffering some sort of bug!

I misunderstood the message you received upon disassembling something, I thought it said, you recieved these bits. But it actually said you now have these bits.

Thanks again

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 29, 2010, 02:51:18 pm »

My wife is going to hate you :). I haven't played roguelikes for such huge chunks of time for a long time (I think since my ADOM mania had ended).

It has everything I love: world map, big world, many locations, great character generation (mutations are really unique and interesting, they really make DIFFERENT characters), many interesting sites, AWESOME setting (something between post-apocalyptic and fantasy genre).

I still didn't get my credit card, but I plan to register soon because I am getting one just to donate to Toady and support a few awesome indie projects like yours.

I just thought that You deserve MORE praise :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #410 on: December 29, 2010, 04:05:02 pm »

When the Analytical Genius mutation levels up from your ego bonus, it doesn't seem to apply its updated stat bonus.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #411 on: December 29, 2010, 08:34:29 pm »

For some reason chosing esper disables the Analytical Genius mutation. Intended?

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #412 on: December 29, 2010, 08:40:01 pm »

While I'm not normally one for ASCII rouge-likes (other than doomrl which doesn't have too many monsters and items) I've been enjoying this so far. Haven't actually found any caves yet, am not sure how to avoid running into too powerful monsters when it's often impossible to run away and I once found a buckler that would increase my AV when equipped, which I'm wondering whether it was a bug.

My biggest problem would be the status panel flipping from the right to left and vice versa really annoys me for some reason. Is it possible to get an option to keep it on one side? (Assuming I'm not being an idiot and there is already one that I missed)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 29, 2010, 08:45:17 pm »

While I'm not normally one for ASCII rouge-likes (other than doomrl which doesn't have too many monsters and items) I've been enjoying this so far. Haven't actually found any caves yet, am not sure how to avoid running into too powerful monsters when it's often impossible to run away and I once found a buckler that would increase my AV when equipped, which I'm wondering whether it was a bug.

My biggest problem would be the status panel flipping from the right to left and vice versa really annoys me for some reason. Is it possible to get an option to keep it on one side? (Assuming I'm not being an idiot and there is already one that I missed)

How to find caves without doing anything:
Go in the options menu
Set keyboard shortcuts for Noclip Down & Noclip Up
Noclip down anywhere, anytime
PROFIT

For the status panel: I don't know, I would like to know this too. However, the reason it does this is because maps ("screens") are approximately the width of the console window, and to show the whole thing they've got to flip the status panel somewhere else.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 29, 2010, 08:45:24 pm »

If you're playing a mutant. The wings/teleportation/phasing are all incredibly helpful for running from monsters.
*Hugs*

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 29, 2010, 08:57:30 pm »

Few bug fixes:

*Fixed a field picker exception
*Fixed an exception when removing an equipped book
*The reload command will now work for energy-cell using missile weapons
*Tinkered items with an energy cell slot will no-longer sometimes be created with an already-slotted cell
*You may no longer create a mutant with a negative MP point balance

VVV Yeah they're just incorrectly categorized, I'll fix it in the next patch
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 09:00:46 pm by unormal »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #416 on: December 29, 2010, 08:59:50 pm »

Unormal, is it intended that choosing chimera still allows the Analytical Genius and Sense Psychic mutations, and choosing esper disallows them? I am assuming they are simply misclassified.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 30, 2010, 04:24:37 am »

So i made copys of my savegames... lvl 1-3 = 3 mb ... lvl 4 - 6 = 3-10 mb 7 = 20 mb 8 = 30 mb ..... 11 =76.8 mb

Oh my

and then it went down to 12 mb for level 12. What?

** How do I get security doors open?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 06:17:18 am by ThtblovesDF »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 30, 2010, 06:34:20 am »

The arguably less time consuming method is to buy or find security cards -- they come in different colors, and different color cards can open different colored security doors. Some cards open more than one type of door. The details behind that I'm unsure of, but I was able to open pretty much everything with law and maintenance cards. Once you've got the card in your inventory, you just walk through the security doors like you would any other door.

The arguably more time consuming method is to somehow destroy the door, either by bashing it down via weapon or hitting it with something like acid (fire, etc.). You can only do this fairly reliably if you've got decent strength (and a fair penetration weapon) or access to the necessary utilities. MK I acid grenade is perfect and cheap to tinker, but runs the risk of destroying something valuable on the other side of the door... like a square with four lockers in it (muttergrumble :-\).

The least time and resource consuming method is to knock the door out of the way, either via force bubble/bracelet or explosive effects (HE grenades, missiles, etc.). About the only way that can go wrong is if you push the door on top of something valuable (grumblemutter :-\). Certain mutations (phasing, teleportation, theoretically space-time vortex, but that's probably not going to get you behind the door. A door, maybe, but probably not th'one you where aiming for.) allow you to bypass them.

My favorite way to get around the doors, though, is to do just that. Through the wall, metaphorically yelling "OH YEAH" as you tear through the apoco-crete. Acid or burrowing claws is the quickest way. Hitting it with a hammer (/other weapon) until the wall falls down works, too.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 06:41:26 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 30, 2010, 06:46:27 am »

Thanks, now just to figure out how to attack a wall... i think my neonmetal metametal sword will do just fine (2d12 dmg, oh yes).

Or not. Hammertime.

Got into a room. 3x3 title of metal bits and goodys, suddenly two drillbots. Barly kill one, "teleport other" the other one away. Puh, safe, right? Resting, back to half hitpoints - wall gets taken down, angry drillbot wants revenge.

Lived though that.

Later:

:D <--- mfw my clone teleports enemys away.

Say can I use acid (filled into canteen) on a wall somehow? I know how to pour it all over myself... but that isenīt really the best use.

Died to chaingun turret-wall. Anyway, throwing a canteen with acid does nothing for one.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:04:11 am by ThtblovesDF »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 250