Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570006 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #360 on: December 26, 2010, 08:52:34 pm »

I'm now wondering if slam or hook'n'drag can move the things, though. Hrm...

Hook'n'drag? Is that like some sort of hookshot? Because that would be awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 26, 2010, 08:55:00 pm »

Axe skill. You latch on to something beside and then walk away, dragging the target along with you. The target takes damage when you force it to move around.

It's nice~

The skill suggests you like, slide the axe's haft (heel?) around the back of their neck, or something. I like to imagine you slam the blade into their forehead (equivalent) and just start waving them around through the air, hauling them along as you run around cackling gleefully. It's more fun that way.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 08:58:01 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 26, 2010, 08:59:28 pm »

Security doors probably won't be a problem by the time you hit Susa. Just take a round trip or two to the merchants and buy up some security cards. I had maintenance and law cards and could open every one I ran in to. Useful things.

Those cards are also pretty good trade fodder, if you find spares. Of course, you're looking at... a lot... to buy them. Doable, though.
Haven't found a SINGLE one yet to buy or randomly generated in The Grit Gate. Seriously, none at all.

You can also just bash down the doors, at least technically. I've done it with a cheatmonkey level 100 character :P Remember -- if you can do one damage to the thing, you can hold down ctrl+direction until you tear it down... well, probably. The things regenerate a lil'. Honestly, a decent strength-spec'd character shouldn't have any problems with that.
That's what I've been doing so far. It takes a while though.

Also, I just realized my guy could become really, REALLY powerful if I just had some more tinkering levels and a few high level scraps. I can already make enough money to buy a ton of stuff(just make a ton of energy cells), heck I have a huge nugget stash at joppa so money isn't an issue. And I've got access to three(Argvye and those guys in The Grit Gate) data disk sellers(due to the wonderful HE grenade technique), so all I need is some more intelligence(because my guy is too dumb to get tinkering level 2) and some high level scraps and then I'll rock the world with a massively overpowered character, because I have so many good data disks just waiting for my guy to get smarter.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 26, 2010, 09:03:05 pm »

It was said a while back that Light Manipulation was the best mutation. Well, Flaming Hands is right up there with it. Not only do you have the initial damage, but there's a huge shockwave that doesn't hurt you, and the opponent you aimed at is set on fire. The cooldown at level one? 10 turns.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 26, 2010, 09:14:54 pm »

Flaming hands can cause you to ignite, though, via setting other things on fire. Damage wise, though, it's pretty bloody solid.

'Best mutation', though, is pretty subjective. For me, multiple legs or heightened speed have been my MVP mutations, followed by freezing hands. (Stun. Lock.) Quills are g'damn vicious, and wings can make certain tasks (anything aboveground) basically a ridiculous cakewalk. (Hello saltwurm. What? You can hit me 'cause I'z flyinz? Ohohohohoho-insertprojectiledakka) Folks have talked about using fugue (time clones~) to make little artillery brigades (Equip self with grenades and/or missile launchers and/or flamethrowers and/or various!projectile-mutations).

I actually don't really like light mutation. Glowspheres are pretty easy to find (multiple arms means you don't have the 'i-needz-free-hand' issue) and floating glowspheres like to show up in the non-joppa merchants fairly regularly, so the ambient light doesn't really do much for you outside of a bit in the beginning, and laze just doesn't hit very hard. It pierces, sure, but so does flaming (EVERYTHINGISONFIRE) and freezing (stunlock <3) hands. Light manipulation is alright, but certainly not something I aim for when rolling.

Regeneration is awesome (hurrhurrkitekitekite). Carapace can be awesome, especially if paired with one of the thermal mutations. Horns are pretty kickin'. Most of the mental abilities can roflpwn. The gas effects are wicked useful in certain situations (P.S. Security doors. You are tough. The walls beside you, not as much. Also, salthopper? You are asleep. I am two screens away.).

I could keep going. Honestly, pretty much all the fully functional mutations are just great. Makes the *band and Crawl most mutation systems I've seen (in games) look like sick little puppies :P
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 09:18:31 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 26, 2010, 09:24:09 pm »

Argh, why won't these twinning lampreys die?! I keep "kill"ing them, but they don't die. They aren't much of a threat, but they aren't going down either.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 26, 2010, 09:28:19 pm »

Flaming hands can cause you to ignite, though, via setting other things on fire. Damage wise, though, it's pretty bloody solid.

Yeah, I... I just found this out. I tried to burn a hole to another screen of a dungeon, horizontally, but ended up filling the entire floor with steam and melting myself alive.

There are just too many good mutations. It beats any system. AND SKILLS TOO! Most skills that aren't just upgrades are relevant and interesting. Since the next update was said to be a content update, who knows what's coming next...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 26, 2010, 09:29:56 pm »

Argh, why won't these twinning lampreys die?! I keep "kill"ing them, but they don't die. They aren't much of a threat, but they aren't going down either.

You have to kill them both more or less at the same time. Chaingun (@->pp), flamethrower, various blast weapons. Presumably, you can move fast enough to kill one before the other can respawn, but I've not managed that. Chaingun or flamethrower.

Or akimbo pistols. That works too, I think. I prefer flamethrowers.

But yeah. SRWJ got translated while I was out of town. I'm saving the CoQ for like, tomorrow. Maybe the next day.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 09:33:06 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 26, 2010, 09:32:31 pm »

Huh, I guess bringing along a chaingun for fun actually has it's uses.

Also, I've killed them together before in melee twice or so. I think you have to kill them both on a swipe attack. Going to have to test that.

Edit: Yep, it works. Use windmill to kill twinning lampreys in melee if you have longswords.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 09:40:34 pm by Tarran »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 27, 2010, 03:23:46 pm »

Typo for the mutation 'Electrical Generation'?
"You acquire electrical change which you may discharge at will."

I think it would look nicer like so:
"You acquire an electrical charge, which you may discharge at will."

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 27, 2010, 03:30:23 pm »

Can anybody point me to a fix for the game if it just comes up as a white screen and doesn't load (Big thread...)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 27, 2010, 03:33:13 pm »

Can anybody point me to a fix for the game if it just comes up as a white screen and doesn't load (Big thread...)
That happens to me every time I load the game, you just have to wait.  The game is actually loading but it's hard to tell.  I have to wait usually around 30 seconds before the game shows the main menu.  Just wait 2 minutes and if that doesn't work post back.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 27, 2010, 03:35:40 pm »

Which of the shortcuts do you use? Common/with OpenGL filtering/Console?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 27, 2010, 06:33:34 pm »

Which of the shortcuts do you use? Common/with OpenGL filtering/Console?

Unless you have a supercomputer, console uses approximate 200,000% less processing power. Most people have nice PCs though, and won't notice the lag until they've explored a good bit. I use console.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 27, 2010, 07:57:07 pm »

Anyone know if there's a way to hotkey item activation, along the lines of skills? I've been playing CoQ via mouse a lil'*, and e-d-a-esc-esc (Activating my force bracelet and getting out of th'equip screen without removing the thing.) is much faster with th'keyboard. Also, for unormal, item activation via key (e-d-a, instead of scrolling down to the activate command) is a little awkward. It likes to leave the cursor on remove, and an accidental second space (to clear th'activation message) can remove the item :(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 250