Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 569826 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #270 on: December 23, 2010, 03:13:37 pm »

My only issue now are the gigantic save files. -_-

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 23, 2010, 03:16:17 pm »

Isn't there an option to compress zone info in order to reduce save size?
*Hugs*

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 23, 2010, 03:17:44 pm »

Isn't there an option to compress zone info in order to reduce save size?

As of a recent update the zone cache is compressed, just make sure you have the latest. It'll still be bigger than your average game's save however, since it's saving a fully dynamic and persistant world, unlike most games that just save the state of a few odd scripts and game objects.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 23, 2010, 03:21:39 pm »

I had only explored a few areas... And yet my save file was 500mb... That's excessive, I think. Not even DF world saves are that big. >.>

Would disable caching or something like that help? I'd rather have no persistence than 500mb+ save files.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 23, 2010, 03:23:23 pm »

I had only explored a few areas... And yet my save file was 500mb... That's excessive, I think. Not even DF world saves are that big. >.>

Would disable caching or something like that help? I'd rather have no persistence than 500mb+ save files.

No, disabling caching would just make it keep it all in memory, probably murdering your computer by running out of RAM, plus flushing it to cache anyway. I'll consider adding an option to not serialize zones, but it's somewhat complicated since some zones still need to be serialized for scripting reasons; plus it would essential be a cheat, since you could scum low level dungeons, since they would repop each time you went there.

Are you using the latest version? (i.e. from today?)

E: Oh actually, I'm not compresing the primary.sav just the zone cache, I should probably compress the primary.sav as well, that'll save hundreds of MB in the .SAV itself. I'll add it in a future patch.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:25:12 pm by unormal »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 23, 2010, 03:25:39 pm »

I had only explored a few areas... And yet my save file was 500mb...
To me, that sounds like a bug of some sort. My save is ~286mb and I explored quite a bit of the area around Joppa, all of Red Rock, two whole Rust Wells, All levels of The Grit Gate(excluding the levels below the "city" itself), and quite a few levels of Golgotha.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:27:17 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #276 on: December 23, 2010, 03:37:24 pm »

Bug report! I was in the middle of a fight when this popped up. Fortunately it didn't crash my game.

RunSegment:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at XRL.World.GameObject.HasLOSTo(GameObject Object) in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\World\Game Objects\World.GameObject.cs:line 81
   at XRL.World.Parts.Mutation.FlamingHands.FireEvent(Event E) in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\World\Game Objects\Parts\Mutations\Physical\World.Parts.Mutation.FlamingHands.cs:line 114
   at XRL.World.GameObject.FireEvent(Event E) in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\World\Game Objects\World.GameObject.cs:line 1083
   at XRL.World.Parts.Mutation.Skittish.TryMutations() in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\World\Game Objects\Parts\Mutations\Defect\World.Parts.Mutation.Skittish.cs:line 55
   at XRL.World.Parts.Mutation.Skittish.FireEvent(Event E) in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\World\Game Objects\Parts\Mutations\Defect\World.Parts.Mutation.Skittish.cs:line 87
   at XRL.World.GameObject.FireEvent(Event E) in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\World\Game Objects\World.GameObject.cs:line 1083
   at XRL.Core.ActionManager.RunSegment() in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\Game Core\XRL.Core.ActionManager.cs:line 128

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 23, 2010, 03:55:13 pm »

I explored up to the grit gate. Couldn't find the quest npc in there either. My save was 500mb, but I also had a lot of random dungeons and ruins explored.

I still think that's excessive.

I also don't think just compressing will do, feels more like there's something fundamentally wrong with the way it saves things. Perhaps an option to not save over-world areas and one to purge explored dungeons after a while. As in, delete everything in them except for the layout. Would that save space? Also, it would be understandable for such areas to repopulate after a while, so it wouldn't be exactly a cheat and would save in space.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 23, 2010, 06:32:00 pm »

So this one will compress sav files, and allow you to backup from kit selection without nuking your stats.

*Added some exception handling for console exceptions
*You may now go back to attibute rolling from later screens without the stats being re-rolled
*The .sav files are now compressed

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 23, 2010, 09:28:18 pm »

First of all, I have a minor bug report.  The number of rounds of cooldown reported when trying to use an ability is one lower than the actual cooldown, which is correctly stated next to the ability.  For example, the ability list of a character I just made (to make sure that this issue is not related to a single ability) says "a) Force Wall [70 rounds cooldown]", but trying to use it says "You must wait 69 rounds to use that ability again."  This leads to "You must wait 0 rounds to use that ability again." when my actual character's harvest skill has 1 round of cooldown left.

And now a feature request.  I'd like a way to designate that certain food should NOT be automatically eaten, except perhaps if it's the only thing left and I'm starving, since certain bits of food have useful properties other than filling hunger (and sometimes also thirst).

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 23, 2010, 09:55:18 pm »

I don't auto-eat or drink... I use bodies and vinewafer... Water is monies. :P

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 23, 2010, 10:22:37 pm »

Oh, another report.  The "Automatically disassemble scrap" option doesn't seem to be working for me.  I have to manually disassemble all of my scrap, whether the option is on or off.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 23, 2010, 10:26:50 pm »

Ok, so I downloaded the latest and when I choose to start as a mutant, when rolling my character, it says 'press space to pick mutations' but this just ends up with the 'select calling' screen.

I can't examine the mutations to see what they do either (in the roll screen), which is really annoying.

Also, on the true human roll screen, down the bottom it says 'press space to pick mutations'
 :-\

But thanks for updating this regularly and stuff. Really good game :D
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 23, 2010, 11:06:44 pm »

Oh, another report.  The "Automatically disassemble scrap" option doesn't seem to be working for me.  I have to manually disassemble all of my scrap, whether the option is on or off.
Automatically disassemble setting only moves the arrow to the disassemble option. So when picking up scrap/selecting it in your inventory, you just have to press space again. It doesn't work when picking up and there are enemies nearby, but in the inventory screen, you just have to hold down space for a while after you're full of scrap and it will all be gone.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 23, 2010, 11:16:19 pm »

Ok, so I downloaded the latest and when I choose to start as a mutant, when rolling my character, it says 'press space to pick mutations' but this just ends up with the 'select calling' screen.

I can't examine the mutations to see what they do either (in the roll screen), which is really annoying.

Also, on the true human roll screen, down the bottom it says 'press space to pick mutations'
 :-\

But thanks for updating this regularly and stuff. Really good game :D

Whoops posted an update to fix the character creation screen.

*Fixed the ability to view mutations on the character rolling screen
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 250