Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 569712 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #195 on: December 22, 2010, 12:36:41 am »

Has anyone figured out what a nullray pistol does, besides eat through a chem cell in two shots and refuse to be identified through examination?
Nope. Tried it before on an enemy on another game, nothing happened. It also ate through that cell I put in it like candy. My best guess is that either it's EMP(Or something similar[thus having no effect on living tissue]), or it does nothing at all.

Also, started a praetorian and got a nuclear cell. That gave me a smile.

Edit: For some reason the odd glowpad has been aggressive towards me. Maybe it's seeing it's friends getting killed by me and going aggressive? Regardless, he doesn't appear to have any dangerous weapons, so I'm going to try to kill him. Slowly.

Edit2: Hahah! Killed him. Took a while, but it was worth it because there is a LOT of good loot. It was a little strange that he was using a spare piece of armor as a weapon instead of an axe that could've quickly turned me into Sliced Tarran.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:49:51 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 22, 2010, 01:59:01 am »

Yeah I killed him in my old game too, all that HP can be whittled down.  I think I'll avoid killing him in my future games though, it's probably more beneficial for him to stay alive and have random crazy items on sale.  I figure that I don't even need all the stuff he drops when he dies.

Oh and yeah Tarran, he goes hostile if he sees you attacking another glowpad.

EDIT: Looks like the days of hauling back croc corpses are gone :(
By the way, I don't see the option to make the glowpad merchant become a $ sign.. Which one is it?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:25:26 am by Tnx »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 22, 2010, 02:25:34 am »

I have no regret about killing him. He had a laser rifle and an battle axe that one-hit kills most of the early-earlymid game enemies(4d6 damage) in addition to the recoilers and the freaking awesome armor(+8AV -2DV) which would've likely all been extremely expensive and likely unbuyable before he restocks his items. Sure, I won't get awesome stuff anymore, but I'm pretty sure I'm set right now for a large part of the game. Besides, he was aggressive anyway.

By the way, I don't see the option to make the glowpad merchant become a $ sign.. Which one is it?
My guess is the Indicate overland encounters on the main map option in Debug.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:47:32 am by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 22, 2010, 03:05:14 am »

That'd be it, the indicate thing. I post not to confirm that, though, but to note that I've finally found a way to deal with freaking confusion, though the method is decidedly non-optimal.

See, my current fellow is wearing a nylon backpack and has mostly a full inventory. He also has a flamethrower, which has been primarily (only, up 'till now) used to deal with twinned leeches. What happens when he takes off the backpack, is that... he can't move. Not being able to move does not take up a turn. It does, however, apparently take up a 'confusion tick', if you will. So hey. Get confused. Take off backpack, suddenly, can't move, can be lead around by the nose via confusion. Confusion wears off, back on goes the backpack, DEAD DIE YOU FREAKING e BASTID I WILL END YOUR CHILDREN RRAAAWWRRGGGHH, etc, etc, etc. I have a degree of dislike for the sightless eye faction, at the moment. Confusion and wall-piercing lasers... a mildly infuriating combination. All of my hate.

Anyway, the flamethrower was tangental, but swapping it in to deal with the twinned leeches in between me and that bloody e bugger is what led to this discovery. Naturally, said sightless eye fellow promptly 'died in a fire'... along with two twinned leeches and a dwarf troll. Flamethrowers are awesome.

EDIT: Does not actually make confusion wear off. It does, however, prevent involuntary movement (and melee attacks), so you can at least shoot/nade/bathe-in-raging-fire the bugger when you get control back. Useful trick if you've got line of fire on the things.

EDIT2: For those entering Bethesda Susa, expect to spend a significant amount of time either ?confused?, on !!fire!!, or ?!!both!!?. Plan accordingly... if you can.

EDIT3: Died to a giant king crab... while confused. Of course. Over 100 hp gone in three allowed actions. RIP, Jack the whatever number you are. Your descendant's going to have mental mirror. And probably carapace. Being on fire sucks :-\
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:25:58 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 22, 2010, 03:28:14 am »

Anyone take the advanced butcher or harvester skills? Has it come in use or is it better to spend those on weapon skills?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 22, 2010, 03:33:46 am »

Your descendant's going to have mental mirror. And probably carapace.
I also suggest regeneration, as not only will it offset bad willpower's low regen if you have low willpower, but it also allows you to heal quickly if you have a few levels in it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 22, 2010, 03:40:02 am »

Well, I'm probably going to re-roll a twisted until it's got mental mirror, carapace, multiple legs, and something offensive (Freezing hands, hopefully, which might help with the !!on fire!! issue.). If regen fits in with that and a bearable stat/defect roll... well, more's the better. I do like regen, but I'd take a functioning toughness score over it any day of the week :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 22, 2010, 03:41:48 am »

I just found 6 lockers on the same tile... How is that even physically possible?

Oh well, I'm not complaining, more lockers means more loot for me!

Edit: Aw hell yeah, frigging scoped missile launcher in The Grit Gate. Now, all I have to do is find some ammo...

Edit2: Wow, there's a lot of water in The Grit Gate in addition to the Ph@t l00t.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 04:08:42 am by Tarran »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #203 on: December 22, 2010, 03:55:01 am »

I found a drum-loaded pump shotgun.

They only hold 1 ammo, and the drum increases that by 20%... which means it still only holds 1. It sold for 50 drams more though, so whatever.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 22, 2010, 05:03:10 am »

FUCKKKKKKKK I got some stupid error where if I go back to Joppa, everything is reset.. MY WHOLE STASH IS GONE. WHYYYYYY RNG GOD.  Is this some type of anti save scumming measure??? Damn it I'm so pissed right now.  Anyone else get this error? Anyways around it?

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 22, 2010, 06:39:40 am »

Anyone who has the nullray pistol, can you fire at forcefield? I had it also(I guess it was nullray, since I couldnt identify it)
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 22, 2010, 09:39:02 am »

This might have been asked before, but how do you dig downwards? I can attack in all directions except up and down, and want to go tunneling.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 22, 2010, 09:51:57 am »

FUCKKKKKKKK I got some stupid error where if I go back to Joppa, everything is reset.. MY WHOLE STASH IS GONE. WHYYYYYY RNG GOD.  Is this some type of anti save scumming measure??? Damn it I'm so pissed right now.  Anyone else get this error? Anyways around it?

If you're savescumming, you probably want to check off the "Disable cache cleanup routines" option.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 22, 2010, 09:58:50 am »

Well, I'm probably going to re-roll a twisted until it's got mental mirror, carapace, multiple legs, and something offensive (Freezing hands, hopefully, which might help with the !!on fire!! issue.). If regen fits in with that and a bearable stat/defect roll... well, more's the better. I do like regen, but I'd take a functioning toughness score over it any day of the week :P

Spoiler: Muahahaha (click to show/hide)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 22, 2010, 11:14:27 am »

I didn't realize up until now why everybody liked playing mutants. The mutations are over half the fun! Way more interesting than, say, DCSS mutations. Tinkering is crazy fun, too. So is scavenging... and basically everything else. I temporarily solved my "digging down" problem by finding staircases and/or NOCLIPPING which is kind of cheating but who cares!

EDIT: SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION IS THE WORST MUTATION BUT IT IS HILARIOUS
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:46:57 am by freeformschooler »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 250