Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 569654 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2010, 09:32:14 am »

Urgh...
Any idea on how to pick up items if they're on the same square as a chest? I was carrying too much so I couldn't move, and had to drop them there :(
I assume you are attempting to get items with space? You can pick up items with the g button.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2010, 03:04:26 pm »

Am I the only one who likes to play true human tinkerer?
I love being able to create my own stuff and actually knowing what these artifacts are is really useful
Now that I've found out that data disks can be purchased from Argvye(thanks Tnx), I'm now trying it out. Currently I can't make anything useful to me at the moment, but I expect to sometime.

Edit: Or not. Drillbots prevent me from living, thus preventing me from tinkering.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 03:28:14 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2010, 04:27:06 pm »

Do you guys have any good strategy for starting characters? going to the caves seems almost suicide with any character I make.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2010, 04:40:45 pm »

Do you guys have any good strategy for starting characters? going to the caves seems almost suicide with any character I make.
I'm not the best player, heck I suck quite badly, however I've been in the starting area for quite a while so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm saying.

1: Steal from all the town's chests.
Argvye's house: push Argvye until he is behind the corner of the left wall outside. Then you may start stealing.
The house immediately up-left from your starting position: Close the door and steal.
The first house down-right from the elder's house: Close the door and steal.
The house right of the house above: Once again, close the door and steal.
Re: Fliching from the Elder: Push him into the upper right corner of the far left 'square' of his building. He won't have LoS on you when you loot his table and chest, and you can safely walk away with everything Irudad's not wearing.
Also, to get Tam(the trader)'s chest, knock down his wall(CTRL+direction to attack a wall with melee attacks) and push him outside behind the wall. Make sure he doesn't have a LoS on the chest.

2: If your character is REALLY weak, go on a killing spree in the swamps until you're level 3 or so. Otherwise, this is completely optional. The enemies are quite easy. The Glow fish always drops a corpse and it's worth a decent amount if you choose to sell them. The Glow pads are really tough but they're completely immobile. And Crocs may be somewhat more difficult than glow fish, but they're more rarer.

3: Go to the Red Rock. The enemies mostly consist of those s guys and the normal and hunter ones which are quite weak individually. The main threat is the Lovers, seed spitters, and the rare s warriors, shotgunners, brutes, and warlords. Also the rare unique s might be a problem, but it's quite unlikely that you'll find them. The money you can get from the loot in the Red Rock is huge. You may also find something worth wearing if you're lucky. Tip though; once you hit the bottom level(4) don't go down the river too far. If you do go down the river a little, make sure you don't go up any stairs or go too far down the river as the enemies get nasty quite quickly.

4: After you finish the watervine eater quest, go to the Rust Wells and complete Argvye's quest.

After these you should be pretty strong. There's also a ruin generated near the Joppa, likely directly east of Joppa. There, the enemies are quite difficult, but the loot can be great if you're lucky enough(Chaingun comes to mind).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 04:47:28 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2010, 04:41:02 pm »

Don't go to the caves. At least not till you're levelled and well equipped. Grinding around near town for a few levels should be mostly pretty safe

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2010, 04:43:37 pm »

Don't go to the caves. At least not till you're levelled and well equipped. Grinding around near town for a few levels should be mostly pretty safe

Depends on character as well. I made a True Man Praetorian and he cleaned out Red Rock easy-peasy.
On the other hand, a mutant will probably want to get a few levels under his belt in the swamp areas around Joppa before going anywhere else.

Edit: Also, this game is awesome. Really looking forward to the finished product!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2010, 05:05:21 pm »

Tip: Don't buy tinker recipes. I bought level 1 recipes and the game got stuck, forcing me to close it entirely, thus making me lose my in progress game.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2010, 06:03:44 pm »

Edit: Or not. Drillbots prevent me from living, thus preventing me from tinkering.
If you check your inventory, there are a few different scrap parts, and you can disassemble them for tinker-pieces.
You can actually disassemble a lot of things :P

Also, apparently you can kill argyve easily without anyone noticing.
He drops a bunch of data disks and tones of scrap parts :P
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2010, 06:07:46 pm »

yah I accidentally killed Argyve when he caught me stealing once

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2010, 06:16:48 pm »

Time to reroll my timelord esper then!

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2010, 07:12:23 pm »

If you check your inventory, there are a few different scrap parts, and you can disassemble them for tinker-pieces.
You can actually disassemble a lot of things :P

Also, apparently you can kill argyve easily without anyone noticing.
He drops a bunch of data disks and tones of scrap parts :P

I killed Argyve without even noticing myself once. Its that easy!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2010, 08:09:12 pm »

I think I'm going to start save scumming now. My latest game just froze and had a Memory leak while it was supposedly generating a new area despite the fact that I was in the middle of the area I was in. Sigh, yet another good game in the dumps.

Edit: Once again, memory leak. Thankfully I saved. Seems like the ruins are causing the memory leaks.

Edit2: HOLY SHIT MISSILE LAUNCHER ON GLOW FISH WHAT THE HECK.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 08:48:29 pm by Tarran »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2010, 09:41:26 pm »

Lost another one to that 'object reference not set to instance of an object' message, bleh.

Anyway, mutation synergies. Turns out force bubble and burgeoning is a viciously effective mix: Plants are bloody dangerous, but they're immobile. Force bubble lets you push things around... like, say, back into range of a prickler. My fellow had managed to kill three albino apes in a rustwell cavern =(

As always, though, multiple legs is my MVP mutation. I've not yet tried a mutation that's quite as useful as it is -- being able to kite or just plain flee, reliably, is incredibly helpful thing. Going to try beguiling next, I think. Domination was interesting, but melee ranged and prone to failure. Wings + ranged combat is freaking deadly against anything pure melee -- they can't hit you, you can hit them. Probably going to have to give a flyer with an effective ranged mutation (probably one of th'hands) a chance, character after next.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2010, 09:55:02 pm »

Domination may be dangerous to use, but it's a sort of panic button anyway. It's not something you'd use often. Regardless, it's a good thing to have when that tough(or not so tough) enemy is coming down on you and you've got a few HP and no way of killing that enemy before it kills you.

Also, carapace is very good. Sure, it may not be very good(heck, it sucks) for the starting game, but give yourself good enough dodging to contract it and level it up and you've got a butt load of AV without having to wear heavy armor.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2010, 10:12:27 pm »

Just FYI; Lots of good bugs fixed over the last couple days, check the private patch thread below. Every time I post in it, I've uploaded a new build. So grab the latest next time you fire it up! Glad you guys are enjoying it!

http://forums.freeholdentertainment.com/showthread.php?6-Caves-of-Qud-Private-Version-History/page20
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 250