Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 569543 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2010, 01:00:25 pm »

Wow, I've only been playing about an hour now, and I'm making very slow progress due to caution, but I'm very impressed so far. The level of detail is very impressive. I accidentally caught fire when I hit an enemy with my torch and he, still flaming, hit back. Finally made my way up to the Redrock area and went inside the caves, and the first time I was grabbed by a Jilted Lover I actually jumped. Same with getting frightened and attacked by ground plants.  Is there any way to kill/remove them, by the way?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2010, 01:01:15 pm »

I have actually seen a bunch of developers show up here. I dont remember what the particular games were but I have seen at least 4 others.

I havent gotten very far...only 1 level up. Really should just hunt early and then do the quest I suppose.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2010, 01:07:09 pm »

I jumped straight into the quest, had to run back to town once to let the elder kill off a few tortoises when I got mobbed by them, but other than that I'm doing ok as long as I'm careful. The blood spatter in this game is positively fabulous, by the way. I was standing on a pile of stuff, some kind of chameleon cut me and I started bleeding, and all the items I was standing on (as well as some of the monsters I was fighting) turned bloody.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2010, 01:25:10 pm »

Wow, I've only been playing about an hour now, and I'm making very slow progress due to caution, but I'm very impressed so far. The level of detail is very impressive. I accidentally caught fire when I hit an enemy with my torch and he, still flaming, hit back. Finally made my way up to the Redrock area and went inside the caves, and the first time I was grabbed by a Jilted Lover I actually jumped. Same with getting frightened and attacked by ground plants.  Is there any way to kill/remove them, by the way?

Hold down ctrl and hit a direction to force an attack. You can force attack just about anything in the game in this manner.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2010, 01:30:58 pm »

I am running into some bugs with mutation levels. In one game I randomly got an extra level for 2 mutations and now cryokinesis ate a mutation point without upgrading.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2010, 01:33:47 pm »

I've seen mutations gain levels without direct investment (i.e. spending mutation points) a number of times... I figured there was something like use training going on, since it seemed to happen most often with stuff I was using often. Bought mutations were often starting a few levels above 1, too.

Not that I was exactly complaining... free mutation improvement. I can dig it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2010, 01:35:08 pm »

I've seen mutations gain levels without direct investment (i.e. spending mutation points) a number of times... I figured there was something like use training going on, since it seemed to happen most often with stuff I was using often. Bought mutations were often starting a few levels above 1, too.

Mental mutations gain bonus levels based on your Ego score, and a bonus to cooldown reduction for your Willpower. So this is working as intended.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2010, 01:42:24 pm »

Mental mutations gain bonus levels based on your Ego score, and a bonus to cooldown reduction for your Willpower. So this is working as intended.
Oh yeah, forgot. Still, a point got eaten.

On a different note, flaming hands is the best mutation, the best. Also, bronze swords can burn.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 01:49:17 pm by cerapa »

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2010, 01:57:59 pm »

Saltwurm.

Hold me.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2010, 02:44:23 pm »

I'm running Vista
There's your prolem.
Seriously? Blaming the OS? I'll have you know that I've got Vista and the game runs fine.

Anyway, Unormal, the domination mutation is quite powerful. Almost too powerful. It has a low cool down(70 ticks) that cools down while you're dominating. So as you can see you can just continually dominate enemies and almost never get in trouble unless you get surrounded(though you'd be screwed anyway in that situation). I suggest lowering the cool down rate that happens while your dominating to 1/2 the normal speed, or 1/4 the normal speed, or maybe have it not cool down at all while dominating.

Edit: Also, I got a bug while loading my game: Bad binding, BringArgyveWire, Tarran((my guy's name)), Took.

Edit2: Aww, darn goatfolk savage. Killed my best adventurer(level 8) yet. I really should've used my grenades. Oh well, time to try again.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:25:05 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2010, 03:27:06 pm »

... i played it some time ago ... and bought a license today ...
i never played non-mutant ... the benefits just don't seem big enough.
also: what does the :gonk: in debug do?
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2010, 03:55:22 pm »

Non-mutants are actually considerably easier to start off with -- they've got a fairly massive initial stat advantage, much better stat progression, generally considerably more (and more helpful) starting skills, and a very much notable initial equipment advantage.

What they don't have, however, is the ability to set things on fire with their mind. Their grenades and flamethrowers, yes, but not the raw force of their will. Starting with less shiny loot evens out somewhat when you can grow back lost limbs and rip holes in the time-space continuum... but only somewhat. So far, true men have been the easier game for me, while mutants have been the awesome-er game for me :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2010, 04:01:52 pm »

What they don't have, however, is the ability to set things on fire with their mind. Their grenades and flamethrowers, yes, but not the raw force of their will. Starting with less shiny loot evens out somewhat when you can grow back lost limbs and rip holes in the time-space continuum... but only somewhat.
Don't forget the ability to mind-control most of the early game enemies with no problems and have them fight each-other while your body heals. :P

Edit: Unormal, another bug; knowledge of items to create in tinkering carries on between games.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 04:04:22 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2010, 04:18:34 pm »

Is there a list somewhere of all the mutations and what they do and how to use them? I can't seem to find any in-game description of my mutant abilities, and experimenting with many of them doesn't help me understand what they do or how to use them.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2010, 04:20:01 pm »

x->move cursor to mutation->space

It'll give a description of what the mutation does -- is also how you invest mutation points in them. You can select mutations in the generation screen to see what they do, too.

As for using, if it's an activatable mutation, it's either a or m, I think, in the default keybindings. Select the ability you want to use, press enter, then assign it a hotkey (1, shift+1, etc). Afterwards, just press the assigned key to use.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 04:23:49 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 250