Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 569655 times)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #900 on: March 14, 2011, 11:26:02 pm »

unormal, are there any plans for the future to introduce tileset(s)? I hate to open an old can of worms here.. but it's just something that has been on my mind.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 14, 2011, 11:29:06 pm »

unormal, are there any plans for the future to introduce tileset(s)? I hate to open an old can of worms here.. but it's just something that has been on my mind.

Not anytime in the immediate future. We'll probably get to a 1.0 before we do graphics, so it'll be awhile. Not before next year, probably.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 15, 2011, 03:22:26 pm »

May I suggest a class. The Scavenger.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 15, 2011, 03:24:11 pm »

The mutant 'Arconaut' calling is a Qud scavenger.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 15, 2011, 03:31:33 pm »

The mutant 'Arconaut' calling is a Qud scavenger.
Also, the Tinker class could also be considered a scavenger since they're quite similar.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 15, 2011, 03:36:01 pm »

I'd be very happy if you added more Arcologies, and thus more Castes. Even though we never actually see them, I find that the archologies are one of the most flavorful parts of the setting, especially with the starting equipment.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 15, 2011, 03:36:48 pm »

Lol. I just got owned by a goat. I ran out of quills, and corrosive gas. Let me think of some mutations.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 15, 2011, 03:49:15 pm »

Ok I think I have some mutations.

Physical:
Bone manipulation - You can manipulate your banes, and use them as weapons ( Your bones jut out in all directions striking eneimies surronding you )

Mental:
Control of Earh - Can create a earthern made Soldier it is friendly, but can not attack just distracts them long enough for you to run.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 15, 2011, 03:56:31 pm »

Physical:
Bone manipulation - You can manipulate your bones, and use them as weapons ( Your bones jut out in all directions striking eneimies surronding you )
*Cough*

Anyway, wouldn't that hurt you in return? The bones are going through your skin, you know. Also, I highly doubt there would be enough bone in your body to get to the enemy without completely removing all your bones from your arms or legs (which would make you drop everything you're carrying in the former, and make you fall over in the latter) unless he was literally just hugging you.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 15, 2011, 03:58:46 pm »

Well no if you have that mutation your body's fat stores massive amounts of calcium which you cna use to create bones if need be, and yes you would take some damage but your skin would quickly heal. The down side is that when it is used you can't use it for 1000 rounds.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: March 15, 2011, 04:03:13 pm »

I think a decent amount of damage to the player would be a nice tradeoff for such a skill. I think it should be in a specific direction though.
*Hugs*

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 15, 2011, 04:04:24 pm »

That or the bones could form a weapon around your hand

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 15, 2011, 04:09:16 pm »

Well no if you have that mutation your body's fat stores massive amounts of calcium which you cna use to create bones if need be,
Where does your body form the bones? Where do you get this massive amounts of calcium?

and yes you would take some damage but your skin would quickly heal.
Why? I didn't hear you say that the mutation comes with regeneration. Bones breaking the skin (and the flesh!) would be akin to a stab wound, which only regeneration would quickly heal.

The down side is that when it is used you can't use it for 1000 rounds.
How much damage does it do? How piercing is the attack? 1000 rounds is quite harsh.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 15, 2011, 04:18:40 pm »

It's so goddamn easy to die in piddly ways.  This has led me to some general criticisms-

Instaheal injectors are virtually useless.  I tried to use one while fighting a salthopper, and it hurt me in one attack for more than it healed.  They just don't do enough during combat to save your hide, and outside of combat, you can just rest.

It is effectively impossible to fight foes like Bears if your have less than 16 Strength, because it's unlikely to penetrate them, even with an iron mace.

Ranged weapons are fine, but there's a very limited supply of ammo in the world that you can get to early on, and the only stuff enemies regularly carry is arrows.

This leads to my general criticism that the game seems to actively punish any but a small group of character builds.  Beefy True Man warriors and hulking Mutant warriors are the only characters with a reliable chance of surviving any but the smallest of creatures.  Melee is unavoidable and unforgiving, so any character that isn't geared to for melee is going to die, in pretty short order.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 15, 2011, 04:22:31 pm »

I find that as long as I have the quills mutation I am fine.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 250