Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 569717 times)

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3555 on: February 07, 2017, 03:05:59 pm »

Thanks for the feeback!

There's a couple little (hard to see) buttons on the right side of the message log that let you change the text size.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: February 07, 2017, 04:26:39 pm »

For high av enemies, pack a vibro weapon. When powered, they automatically penetrate, but no more. If you cant get through, it will, but it won't do bonus damage. Note that it also works for walls, and that makes a video dagger a very good find for digging.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: February 07, 2017, 06:05:07 pm »

Hrm. Have to keep an eye out for em, then. Don't think I've actually seen one since I started playing the newer version, heh.

Axe is definitely worth remembering, though, least if you have some strength bonus squirreled away. Cleave is pretty significantly effective, apparently. Enough that if I've ran up a +3 or more bonus getting that and nothing else starts getting really tempting, even if I'm mainlining rifles or somethin', heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: February 07, 2017, 08:37:23 pm »

Hrm. Have to keep an eye out for em, then. Don't think I've actually seen one since I started playing the newer version, heh.

Axe is definitely worth remembering, though, least if you have some strength bonus squirreled away. Cleave is pretty significantly effective, apparently. Enough that if I've ran up a +3 or more bonus getting that and nothing else starts getting really tempting, even if I'm mainlining rifles or somethin', heh.
I know that the Joppa Warden has one guaranteed. That doesn't mean much though, does it. I would just keep checking the glowpad merchant, and the gritgate merchants.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: February 07, 2017, 09:24:55 pm »

... I won't lie, after remembering the glowpad existed, I think I've spent... probably two or three hours real time, just this afternoon, wandering around the marshes trying to find that bloody thing. Over multiple characters. Even after I kicked on overworld encounter display, I still couldn't find the ruddy plant. Even after starting to use the debug map reveal thing, I still couldn't find the pad.

Freaking ninja glowpad. One day, plant, one day. I am going to find you, and then I am going to cordially trade with you, and then I am going to eat you.

E: Uh. Okaaaay. Started a new game, had the unfinished et al content option ticked. Immediately after I clear the start message, Mehmet explodes into a plum of blue cloud effects. "frozen Mehmet dies!" Says the message log. Welp.

Town didn't turn hostile or anything, it just appears Mehmet spontaneously... self-cryocombusted? i have no idea what just happened, and it is mildly terrifying :V
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 09:55:02 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: February 07, 2017, 10:31:35 pm »

... I won't lie, after remembering the glowpad existed, I think I've spent... probably two or three hours real time, just this afternoon, wandering around the marshes trying to find that bloody thing. Over multiple characters. Even after I kicked on overworld encounter display, I still couldn't find the ruddy plant. Even after starting to use the debug map reveal thing, I still couldn't find the pad.

Freaking ninja glowpad. One day, plant, one day. I am going to find you, and then I am going to cordially trade with you, and then I am going to eat you.

E: Uh. Okaaaay. Started a new game, had the unfinished et al content option ticked. Immediately after I clear the start message, Mehmet explodes into a plum of blue cloud effects. "frozen Mehmet dies!" Says the message log. Welp.

Town didn't turn hostile or anything, it just appears Mehmet spontaneously... self-cryocombusted? i have no idea what just happened, and it is mildly terrifying :V
The warden spawned with aggression towards Joppa. Or that guy spawned with aggression to wardens. It happens, rarely.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: February 07, 2017, 11:31:09 pm »

Oooh. Yeah, that makes sense. It's hilarious, and now I'm thoroughly cemented in not ever trying to kill that warden, because it somehow dissolved mehmet into a plume of cryogenic smoke in <1 turn.

Probably the aggression towards wardens bit, though. Warden critter was still chill towards everything else in the town, and not in the spontaneous existence failure sort of chill it apparently shared with mehmet. Poor mehmet.
Ask not!
Ask!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3562 on: February 08, 2017, 09:39:36 am »

So I wonder whether there could be something like the auto-explore function but for talking to quest-givers. Like auto-quest? I know it's weird, but repeating initial busywork is literally the main thing keeping me from firing up the game more often.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: February 08, 2017, 10:08:34 am »

I'm no coder, and I haven't looked at basically anything of what bits of CoQs stuff is visible from our end, but even with that just poking in the .xmls for a few seconds (was looking to see if anything gave a better idea of where the hell that glowpad was hiding :P) suggests you'd at least be able to auto-give the quests on game start, or something along those lines. Probably wouldn't be that hard to tweak things so stuff finished and rewards were received more or less immediately, too.

... all that said, you can totally just walk out of joppa and never come back, if you really don't want to deal with the main quest. Could probably burn your way into grit gate, too, if you felt like it, though I have no idea what that'd do to hostility and whatnot. Know you could blow your way through a wall at some point back when ASCII was all there was without enraging the porcupine bears, but that may have changed somewhere between then and now.
Ask not!
Ask!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: February 08, 2017, 10:31:56 am »

You can go to grit gate straight off the bat with no issues. If you have phasing, or a method of smashing fulcrete walls, you can get in easy enough. If you're a water baron, or completed the first three steps of the tinkera quest, they'll let you in if you talk to the speaker a second time after giving them the cd. Phasing is a good mutation to get in, as it also gives you safe access to the dozen odd lockers in the north east,corner with no chromelings in the room. I think force bubble and the item version will push doors and the forcefield out your way too.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: February 08, 2017, 11:52:49 am »

Good to know. Personally have tended to take corrosive gas if I've got any points left over in chargen, for dealing with those walls. Tried burrowing claws just recently... iirc those things got to like level 6 and still couldn't dint fulcrete, much less anything harder. Meanwhile the gas'll bring down just about any wall in the game from turn one, with a little patience. S'also pretty helpful in fights, since the AI tends to avoid the clouds, letting you keep some number of critters off of you. Not as good as force bubble, but cheaper, faster to CD, and deals damage on top of it. course, the downside being that it destroys loot without even blinking but *shrugs*

Dunno how well stunning force'll work with that, though. It'll knock some doors out of the way, but seems like it doesn't effect others. Might just need to be higher level than what I just tested it with, I'unno. Thing's also quite possibly even easier to aggro things with than corrosive gas, which is a bit of a feat.

E: Though yeah, phasing can be great for that. I just tend to devalue it a little for breaking into places 'cause I don't like having not an exit route readily available, ehehe. Can run back through a hole in the wall :P
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:10:07 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: February 09, 2017, 07:54:35 pm »

Double-post, but it's another travelogue/feedback dump and I'm not 100% sure it'd fit in an edit to the last post. Also too lazy to actually check, ahaha! Incidentally, if anyone knows exactly how extra equipment slots work, I'd still love to hear about it, heh. Bit shorter, I think, but still...

E: Interesting note of arguable relevance. It turns out if you tell the game to random remaining stat points during character creation when you have substantially more than you should (like, say... five hundred or so >_>), the game will lock up pretty hard. CPU use maxes out, game turns unresponsive, can't exit normally, have to kill process. If I had to guess, I'd guess it's 'cause of trying to stuff in points that would bring every stat well over their allowed maximum. Not even sure if it's something that's possible to encounter outside of modding or cheating, though, so, like. Importance or whatever is probably next to nil, ehehe. Still, figured I'd mention it just in case it wasn't already known behavior.

E2: How to Make Bad Decisions, Caves of Qud Edition: Volume 1: Giving the Snapjaw a Flamethrower.

Chapter 1: What could go wrong?
Chapter 2: Oh god, my everything is on fire!
Chapter 3: It burns but does not consume.
Chapter 4: Why am I not dead!?
Epilogue: Sweet merciful gods of death grant me release.
Post-script, written by the merciful gods of death: "No."
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:44:41 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: February 10, 2017, 04:45:23 am »

I have a habit of nabbing a waterskin of saltwater at the start of every game in case I get into a !!situation!!. It leaves a nice little pile of salt, too, which I imagine pairs nicely with my corpse after I inevitably die [despite surviving the fire].

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: February 10, 2017, 05:09:24 am »

Heh, it's a thought. Usually got plenty of water sloshing around if I need to put the fire out, for what that's worth.

... though from recent experience when the snapjaw has a flamethrower it's not really the on fuego part you should be terribly worried about. I watched that laughing nightmare oneshot a slumberling at one point, which was all kinds of "oh shiiiiii-". Character's toughness was a bit silly (and had carapace besides, iirc), so it wasn't really happening to me, but it was still easily chunking me for 30, 40 damage with collateral/misfire hits.

And, as mentioned, when you give NPCs a ranged weapon, they tend to become very enthusiastic about using it. Just... not exactly stellar on the aim or concern for friendly fire fronts, ahahaow

E: And in other news, it's not a giant scorpion, but it is a legendary eyeless king crab. That now has a chaingun. Also a bit over a thousand slugs after a shopping stop in grit gate, ehehe. Fortunately poorly aimed chaingun bullets don't hurt nearly as much as flamethrower blasts. Also the crab is surprisingly accurate for something that doesn't have eyes! Though in retrospect giving the giant blind crustacean a gat was... maybe not the wisest decision in the world, from a conceptual standpoint.

Though re: that crab, it was kinda' odd, but beguile attempts on it that failed didn't put beguile on cooldown. Let me basically spam the ability until it got through. Pretty sure that doesn't normally happen. Might be a legendary thing?

E2: Aww. Chaingun crab died. Actually, crab died in like one turn to a single fire ant attack that didn't even hit it and the chaingun got destroyed in the process. Steam is freakishly deadly in this game. Completely wrecks any items that get caught in it, too. At this point I'm think the deadliest terrain in the game is <anything that can burst into steam>, at least of the stuff you see anything even approaching often. Pretty sure I'd rather get hit with a fireball standing in asphalt than standing in water. You can survive being on fire for a good while, and put it out besides. Steam just straight up kills you, and rapidly. Rip crab king of chainguns ;_;7
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:55:06 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: February 11, 2017, 07:58:48 am »

Added a new type of overland encounter: secluded workshops.
Added legendary shoemakers (and their hired guards).
Each legendary merchant has a distinct maker's mark that they use to brand their artisan wares.
Added a new faction: merchants' guild.
You can now give your followers randomly chosen names from their particular cultures.
You can also give your followers randomly chosen names from your character's own culture.
Added unique name generators for the following factions.
insects
oozes
crabs
reptiles
humanoids
fish
worms
baboons
various animal factions
various plant factions
New UI: added a new sidebar for interacting with objects adjacent to you (Options > Overlay UI > Show overlay nearby objects list). Left-click on an object in the sidebar to interact with it contextually, and right-click on it to get a list of options. It's especially convenient for picking up adjacent items.
Each data disks description now includes the Tinker level required to build the item.
Refactored each region's list of creatures that can become legendary and get their own lairs.
Tweaked lair population.
Tweaked the way merchant guards are generated.
Greatly improved the formatting for multiple-choice dialogs in the new UI.
Fixed an issue where the amaranthine prism sometimes [redacted].
Removed 'a scroll bound by kelp' from dynamic encounters.
[modding]You can now specify static reasons for why various factions admire or dislike faction leaders. Use the StaticLikeReason and StaticHateReason tags on a creature with the GivesRep part.
[modding]NPCs now inherit from BaseHumanoid instead of Humanoid.
[modding]Fixed an issue where inherited objects tried to override existing xtags.
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 250