Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570021 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3375 on: February 11, 2016, 07:49:31 am »

Another tinkering idea I meant to suggest and just remembered:

It'd be neat if there was a way to 'level up' artifacts, upgrading their core capabilities into superior versions by spending increasingly high level bits.  In particular, it'd be nice to be able to upgrade the Mechanical Wings and Helping Hands to provide benefits that correspond to higher-level versions of their respective mutations.  Things like Force Bracelets and Hologram Bracelets could be upgraded to improve their energy efficiency.  Mods are nice, but some artifacts could benefit from a way to upgrade their unique-to-that-artifact core functionality.  This could also be used to let tinker-cyborgs upgrade their cybernetics.

To keep Intelligence vital for Tinkers, the maximum level you could upgrade an artifact to could be capped by your Intelligence modifier.  This would let high-level Intelligence-focused tinkers compete with high-level Ego-focused espers by being able to upgrade a wide range of stuff, while requiring a dedicated Intelligence-focused build to get the really powerful upgrades.

This! A hundred times this! I would love to be able to play tinker as a viable main specialization, tying it to int and making the stat more useful would just be icing on the cake. I like the cyborg idea, maybe it could be a sort of mutation for true kins or a specialty of theirs, something to make them a little more favorable when compared to mutants.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:52:38 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: February 12, 2016, 12:59:00 am »

Some minor bugs with cybernetics:

The machine that explains cybernetics to you has a bunch of extra line breaks in its text, making it go off the bottom of the screen.

The toggleable night vision implant makes the player be highlighted in green even if they have a light source (in which case they shouldn't be green, I think?)  This has actual meaningful implications in some cases, since it prevents you from easily seeing your health warnings via your color.  Oddly, I'm pretty sure night vision goggles don't have this issue.  If there are external light sources, the player is not highlighted in green; but if they have one equipped, they're green (even though nothing around them will be.)

A possible issue with modding:

I can reinforce compass bracelets.
While it doesn't let me immediately reinforce them a second time, for some reason, if I leave the modding menu and then come back, it allows it.
As a result, I now have a pair of Reinforced Reinforced Reinforced Compass Bracelets, for a total of +6 AV.
I think one reinforce each might be all right (although the balance impact of how much you can raise your AV by reinforcing everything bears looking at), but three per bracelet definitely isn't!

Also, I can mod elemental brands onto ranged weapons, but (as far as I can tell) they don't seem to do anything.

It allows me to put a flexiweave mod on equipment that already has no DV penalty (where it doesn't do anything.)  Probably it should disallow this (players might see it's an option, assume it would give a DV bonus, and waste bits / mod slots on it.)

I'm not quite sure this is a bug, but the Ceremonial Vibrokhopesh mods as if it was a bronze-tier weapon (that is, you pay only the base cost for your initial mod on it, whereas most high-tier weapons charge you more from the get-go.)  Given how difficult it is to get, this might not be a big deal, but I thought I ought to point it out.

Another small unrelated bug:  The down arrow doesn't work in the change-battery menu, even though it says it does.

Some suggestions:

You can't see what a mod does by looking at its disk (that is, when considering buying it.)  That'd be a nice addition.

It'd be nice if disks reminded you whether you already know that recipe or not when examining them -- it can be difficult to remember whether you have a particular level of a particular type of grenade when considering buying it in a shop.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 05:06:58 am by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: February 13, 2016, 01:05:17 am »

I can reinforce compass bracelets.
While it doesn't let me immediately reinforce them a second time, for some reason, if I leave the modding menu and then come back, it allows it.
As a result, I now have a pair of Reinforced Reinforced Reinforced Compass Bracelets, for a total of +6 AV.
I think one reinforce each might be all right (although the balance impact of how much you can raise your AV by reinforcing everything bears looking at), but three per bracelet definitely isn't!
Belatedly, an alternative approach to this:
Make reinforced bracelets act as bucklers (which makes logical sense -- a reinforced bracelet isn't going to act as armor, but you can do the Wonder Woman thing and block attacks with it.)  So you only get their AV bonus on a successful shield block with them.

Maybe even spin that off into an entire "shielding" mod that can be applied to wrist equipment to make it act as a buckler, and it can only be reinforced after that or somesuch.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: February 13, 2016, 01:18:06 am »

We fixed a bunch of bugs this week and added a few new features.
*You can rename a follower now as long as they don't already have a proper name. 'L'ook at the follower and hit 'R' to rename them.
*Added appropriate body types for fish, oozes, crabs, and turrets.
*Added an option under Automation to automatically light and douse torches (defaults to off).
*Added an option under Automation to autosave every 5 zone transitions (defaults to off).
*Added an alchemist table tile.
*Changed Warden Indrix's tile.
*Fixed the marble dais tiles in the Six Day Stilt cathedral.
*Using all your Light Manipulation charges no longer toggles the light off.
*Changed several items to stack even with minor status effect differences (lead slugs, shotgun shells, missiles, arrows, and bandages).
*Fixed solar cells not recharging while socketed.
*Fixed the AI going dormant when presented with a missile weapon it needed to reload but no appropriate ammo.
*Fixed some corner cases where the Carpace DV penality would become permanent.
*Fixed Kyakukya hunters having no weapons.
*Fixed Mayor Nuntu having only 1 HP.
*Fixed some issues with Psychometry not properly identifying objects and sometimes showing modded object names in the schematics you discover.
*You no longer autoeat while asleep.
*Fixed bridges and dirt roads sometimes spawning multiple times in a cell.
*Fixed one cause of stairs spawning on top of each other.
*Fixed several map types incorrectly marking small, closed-off areas as reachable.
*Fixed several of the character creation options, including the weekly challenge, not being selectable if you didn't have a most recent character template.
*Fixed a zone build crash.
*Fixed stair placement sometimes failing even when valid placement locations were available.
*Fixed some instances of zone build failures due to stair placement.
*Fixed some instances of surface zones failing to build when stairs were requried (particularly the 8 zones around named dungeons).
*Fixed some named dungeons being unreachable through surface travel.
*Fixed canyon builders not being aware of stair locations.
*Fixed a bunch of typos and formatting issues.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: February 13, 2016, 05:04:10 am »

Also...  the Tomb of the Eaters sometimes generating entirely-empty levels is a known issue due to that location not being finished yet, right?

EDIT:  Also, I got a copy of my face after it was cut off by a Madpole (I healed it with Ubernostrum), but I think my character eventually ate it automatically.  Perhaps faces shouldn't be edible?  They're really too valuable and interesting for it.  At the very least, they shouldn't be eaten automatically.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 05:25:39 am by Aquillion »

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: February 21, 2016, 08:21:38 am »

*We improved the game summary (death) screen.
-Made the text more sentence-like.
-Added a 'Chronology' section that displays significant events in your character's life, including:
--storied items you discovered
--named creatures you slew or offered gifts to
--lairs you discovered
--mutations you gained
--cybernetics you installed
--baetyls you appeased
--books you read
--diseases you caught
--diseases you cured
--times you gave a book to Sheba Hagadias
--times your tongue rotted or regrew
--times you wered sucked into a space-time vortex
--times you drank lava
--and others
-Added a 'Final message log' section that displays the last 30 lines of the message log leading up to your death.
-Added a scrollbar to the game summary screen.
-Fixed pagedown not working on the game summary screen.
-Re-enabled the saving of tombstone files with game summary info.
*Added an option to grab the current game's world seed. Press 'Esc' then 'W'.
*Added some color to the overworld jungle tiles.
*Fixed an autosave exception when it was triggered by entering the world map
*Added new tiles for the Barathrumites: Otho, Jacobo, Mafeo, Sparafucile, Dardi, and Aloysius.
*Added new floor tiles to the Six Day Stilt cathedral.
*Added a stand-in zone for the next upcoming region: the fungal jungle.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3381 on: February 21, 2016, 09:11:47 pm »

-Added a 'Chronology' section that displays significant events in your character's life, including:
--times you drank lava.

Important information, that.  :P
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:24:22 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: February 21, 2016, 09:50:17 pm »

--times you drank lava.

Important information, that.
I feel as though this information should be reported. Just times you drank lava, so that we can have a competition.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: February 27, 2016, 04:32:55 am »

Is it intentional that the merchants around the Six-Day Stilt never restock?

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: February 28, 2016, 08:51:58 am »

*We got basic mouse support working again (it's a work in progress). To turn it on, from Options, enable 'Allow mouse input' under User Interface.
-Left click on a non-adjacent tile to move to it.
-Left click on an adjacent tile to contextually attack, use, or move.
-Left click on yourself to wait a turn
-Right click on a tile to look.
-You can click conversation options.
-You can click a tile when choosing a direction.
*We added a starter UI for mouse and touch-driven controls (it's a work in progress). To try it out, from Options, enable 'Show Overlay User Interface' under User Interface.
*We added preliminary support for a pannable, zoomable view that centers on your character (it's also a work in progress). To try it out, from Options, enable 'Allow map to be zoomed and panned' under User Interface.
*Added character level to the game summary.
*You can no longer mod an item with the same mod multiple times.
*Variables such as '=Name=' are now correctly replaced in conversations.
*Autoexplore will now halt when an enemy attempts to attack you with a missile weapon, regardless of if it hits or not
*Fixed an issue where liquid colors weren't updating after mixing liquids.
*Metamorphic polygel no longer creates bugged item clones.
*Nature's going wild over in the fungal jungle [extremely prototypical].
-A dense canopy of spores makes overworld navigation near impossible.
-A new liquid, primordial soup, is oozing from the ground. When mixed with other liquids in large quantities, it.... reacts.
-3 curious species of lichen were discovered: acid-secreting lichen, honey-secreting lichen, and lava-secreting lic

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: February 28, 2016, 09:05:06 am »

The beginnings of touch on a windows os tablet? I greatly support this. More options to chew on qud on the run.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: March 01, 2016, 05:15:23 am »

He said a while back he was working on a tablet version so yeah i guess his is a step in that direction.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: March 02, 2016, 10:29:40 pm »

So I took my esper into the new Fungal forest and things got a little messy. And I discovered tons of shenanigans with liquids.

1. Cryokinesis doesn't cool lava, it freezes it; creating frozen lava which can be walked across and never thaw without external heat.
2. Pyrokinesis can destroy small lava pools.
3. Frozen honey is an inescapable death trap without external help.
4. Oil can be set on fire, but will eventually put itself out without losing any volume.
5. Water doesn't do anything to lava, instead you get a pool of dilute lava or magmatic water.
6. Frozen oil is a double slip hazard.
7. Lava doesn't ignite oil, becoming oily lava or magmatic oil.
8. There doesn't appear to be any interactions between liquids (excluding a certain one), so you can have a pool of magmatic, luminous, dilute, lush, bloody, oozing, oily, slimy, honeyed salt which will poison, heal, ignite, and taste good while simultaneously tasting terrible.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 10:33:39 pm by Blaze »

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: March 06, 2016, 08:10:22 am »

*Added new barathrumite: Q Girl.
*Tweaked the quest 'Decoding the Signal' to include an extra step. You must talk to Q Girl now.
*Moved Sparafucile across the workshop.
*Added chronology entries for visiting certain named locations.
*You are no longer asked to empty a container if it contains a liquid identical to the liquid you're trying to fill it with.
*We enhanced the prototype UI for mouse and touch-driven controls.
-The overlay message log ['Show overlay message log' option] now includes all the info from the sidebar.
-The overlay UI ['Show overlay user interface' option] now includes a set of clickable buttons to perform a variety of actions.
-Added a new option, 'Show overlay directional compass'. It displays a navigational compass, useful for mouse or touch navigation.
-Added an 'alt' button to the compass that can be toggled for alternate button use. Currently, the only alternate is force-attacking on move.
-Certain overlay buttons are now accessible from menus.
-Added full mouse support for picking a target.
-Added full mouse support for firing a missile weapon.
-Added support for mousewheeling through lists.
-You can now click, drag, and pan while 'l'ooking at something.
-Fixed some popup menus that wouldn't respond to mouse clicks.
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 250