Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570100 times)

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3285 on: October 16, 2015, 04:59:59 pm »

Feature Friday!

*We refreshed Adrenal Control. Here's the new version.
 Adrenal Control (4 MP)
   +5 quickness
   You can increase your body's adrenaline flow by up to 5 grades.
   Each grade gives you an extra 10 quickness (+1 quickness per mutation level) and +3% chance per round to exhaust yourself (-0.2% chance per mutation level).
   When you exhaust yourself, you lose your adrenaline bonus and fall asleep 5 rounds later. You stay asleep for 5 rounds.
   Increasing and decreasing your adrenaline flow are free actions.
*The Baccata Yewtarch has outdone himself with a thrilling account of the peculiar habits of foreign espers in "Across Moghra'yi, Vol. III: Oth, the Free City".
*Tidings of the Six Day Stilt renovations have arrived:
 -Work on the Stilt continues
 -The Mechanimsts have commissioned renowned sculptress Petramaia to adorn the cathedral at the Stilt with several statues and two relief sculptures depicting important scenes from the Canticles Chromaic
 -Apple farmers, apothecaries, bookbinders, and cobblers from across Qud have begun their trek toward Stiltgrounds' bazaar
 -Scouts have noticed 3 deer centaurs prancing toward the Stilt

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: October 16, 2015, 05:38:26 pm »

If only it had more content!

(joking, joking)

You're a giant among men, unormal.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #3287 on: October 17, 2015, 06:04:23 pm »

after watching this thread for years, I finally went ahead and bought it on Steam. On a lark and mostly to support the developer and his obvious dedication. I usually give up quite easily on roguelikes, the usual gripes about interface, difficulty, and permadeath.

I went ahead and gave this a go, and after a few tries, i have managed to live through the starter quests. Definitely very fun and the world is quite interesting. I find myself curious enough to actually (L)ook at things and this has been rewarding.

I will die soon, and then start again.

I am worried I may become bored with the quests if I must repeat them over and over again. Is it fun and viable to skip the quests and just go off on your own, are there interesting things to uncover that are not part of the quest line?
I got nothing

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: October 17, 2015, 06:35:40 pm »

The mushroom village has its own local quest.  There are some non-quest dungeons, such as the giant arch and the tomb of the eaters and the asphalt mines.  And soon, the seven day stilt.

You'll find random monster lairs and merchants and villages just by traveling around.  The entire salt desert to the west and badlands to the east are non-quest related, and have higher threat monsters in them.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 06:45:51 pm by puke »

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #3289 on: October 17, 2015, 07:02:47 pm »

Thanks, so now i know there are non-quest dungeons and stuff. Guess what I am asking about is if other people play the quests every single time. Is this the norm?
I got nothing

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: October 17, 2015, 08:17:22 pm »

I usually do, because redrock and rustwells are reliable places to level up and get cheap fungible loot.  But only usually. 

Often I'll break off and wander around the ruins, as those locations tend to strike a good threat/reward balance.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: October 17, 2015, 10:05:26 pm »

I think you can descend infinitely.  I've not seen that specifically, but I also have not been down 30 levels.

There is a unique ape god temple that has trees underground.. And I have seen some bugged levels, one did include trees.  But it seems rare.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: October 19, 2015, 06:42:09 am »

The Red Rock quest is totally optional anyway (its questline doesn't actually lead anywhere at the moment.)

You could just wander around and explore rather than doing quests, but it's probably a good idea to do at least Argyle's questline up until you gain access to Grit Gate.  Getting the recoilers for Grit Gate and Joppa will help you a huge amount in terms of getting around, and Grit Gate offers better stuff for sale.

(I think you can technically enter Grit Gate by doing the Red Rock questline instead and telling them you're a friend of Joppa's elder, but you won't be able to continue the main questline there until you do Argyle's quest.)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: October 19, 2015, 07:12:04 am »

There seems to be a bug with the new Adrenaline Control.  On some characters, I don't collapse from exhaustion when exhaustion happens; instead, it gets put on cooldown for about 51 turns.  It says I will collapse from exhaustion in X turns, counting down from 5 to 0, but when it hits 0 it just says I'll collapse in 0 turns, and I don't collapse at all.

My character has Adrenaline Control, Phasing, Sleeping Gas Generation, and Enhanced Hearing.  And I'm an Arconaut.

Thinking about it, does Sleeping Gas Generation make you immune to being slept?  That could be it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 07:13:39 am by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: October 19, 2015, 09:41:10 am »

Thinking about it, does Sleeping Gas Generation make you immune to being slept?  That could be it.

Yeah, that's what's going on, actually.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: October 23, 2015, 08:21:17 pm »

*New plant: fracti
*Added bronze brazier
*Added vases, pitchers, and bottles
*Added woven basket
*Furniture now gets placed around merchant tents more pleasingly
*Added a bunch of furniture tiles
*Added fluted wall tiles
*Tidings of the Six Day Stilt renovations continue to arrive:
-Work on the Stilt continues
-Fracti has invaded the Stiltgrounds. Perhaps the Mechnamists will succeed in pruning it
-The priests ready the hologram of Glorious Shekhinah for display
-Petramaia makes tremendous progress on her artistic marvels. Her depictions of the Sacred Joining and the Edification in marble relief look to be unrivaled in all of Qud.
-Restoration work has begun on the astronomical clock

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: October 23, 2015, 10:32:03 pm »

*Added bronze brazier

I'm always confused about these.  Which one is for fire, which one is for athletic support, and which one is for beer and grilled meats?

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: October 23, 2015, 10:47:48 pm »

*Added bronze brazier

I'm always confused about these.  Which one is for fire, which one is for athletic support, and which one is for beer and grilled meats?

In Qud these are all the same.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: October 24, 2015, 12:05:52 am »

:D

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: October 24, 2015, 02:56:48 pm »

Excellent answer, but in the interest of general non-Qud informations:

Brazier - it holds fire: could be for light, heat, cooking, etc.
Brassiere - UK for bra, more or less.
Brasserie - A type of french restaurant.

So I suppose the real question is: would this Qud bronze brazier also be viable as a restaurant with relaxed atmosphere yet professional service?
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 250