Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570145 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3225 on: September 04, 2015, 07:21:47 pm »

Those abilities all look great, though one of them kind of concerns me...

-New power: Flattening Fire (200 sp, 25 agi). As long as your target is surrounded by 6 or more solid obstacles, Suppressive Fire is upgraded to Flattening Fire. Flattening Fire also knocks your target prone and disarms them.
This would seem to imply that said target has to have to have walls on all but 2 of the tiles surrounding them. Isn't that incredibly unlikely to happen in normal gameplay? Or do more things than just walls qualify as "solid obstacles?"

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: September 04, 2015, 07:49:58 pm »

Those abilities all look great, though one of them kind of concerns me...

-New power: Flattening Fire (200 sp, 25 agi). As long as your target is surrounded by 6 or more solid obstacles, Suppressive Fire is upgraded to Flattening Fire. Flattening Fire also knocks your target prone and disarms them.
This would seem to imply that said target has to have to have walls on all but 2 of the tiles surrounding them. Isn't that incredibly unlikely to happen in normal gameplay?

One word: Hall. Ways. In narrow confines, like in caves or dungeons, its pretty easy to lure enemies into one-tile corridors. I predict this ability will almost be TOO strong.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: September 04, 2015, 09:04:26 pm »

Too strong does seem like a bit of a misnomer. It does seem very strong in specific circumstances (like the flight+flaming hands combo is outside), but I would say that the majority of fights take place where you can't use that ability. Hallways aren't actually that common in many areas.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: September 05, 2015, 12:19:43 am »

Is the Steam version DRM-free?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: September 05, 2015, 01:37:30 am »

Is the Steam version DRM-free?

Yeah, if you run the exe files directly they won't fire up the Steam integration.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: September 07, 2015, 06:21:25 pm »

Having just purchased this game and gotten a basic feel for the gameplay I decided on an arconaut. I was wandering aimlessly and stumbled upon a disturbing sight: hordes of massive tortoises bearing down upon a hapless scavenger. At the back was one particularly large tortoise, with aged and purple skin. I knew enough about these tortoises to keep my distance as they shredded the poor snapjaw. Then, they noticed me. I threw a high explosive and bits of flesh and shell were thrown up high, but the purple monstrosity charged onwards! A second grenade felled the beast, and I made the poor assumption that because the big mean guy was dead, his minions wouldn't pose a problem. The first hit from the first tortoise practically exploded my abdomen and that was that.

A few characters later I ran into some cultist hiding in a building. I had procured a shotgun just outside of town from a particularly clumsy snapjaw, and quickly blasted the cultist to bits. I stepped forward to retreive his carbide dagger (mmm) when I'm dropped to 9 health from a massive, screen-covering explosion. I only caught a momentary glance since the explosion knocked me back behind the wall on the same turn I moved, but it was something like a traipsing or shambling mortar. I died the next turn when it walked around the corner and immediately fired, obliterating myself, itself, and that stupid carbide dagger to boot.

This game has a well-wrought style in both game design and the creative assets (the writing especially, reminds me of Jack Vance in a good way). Refreshing, actually, to be so immersed in a roguelike.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: September 11, 2015, 05:17:40 pm »

*You can now save, share, and import character builds!
  -When you create a new character, you can name and save the build to your build library. You can also copy the build code to your clipboard or tweet it. 
  -From the character build library, you can pick a saved build to play, rename a build, type in a build code, paste in a build code, or tweet about a build. The build library is accessible from the character creation screen.
*Turrets now have a 1-turn warmup sequence before they start firing
*Shank no longer raises the penetration cap of short blades by 1
*Torches now display a description of their condition rather than a precise count of remaining turns (What??? You thought you were some sort of optics savant?!)
*Added an overlay message log that spans the bottom of the screen. It's more readable than the sidebar message log. We'll be improving it, too.
*Added a new UI option "Show overlay message log" under User Interface. It's disabled by default.
*Improved the UI for storing things in containers
*Saved games on the save management screen are now sorted by age
*Improved the performance of the Golgotha level builder

hemperor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: September 14, 2015, 03:14:44 am »

the ASCII version is totally full except for the grahical pack right?????

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: September 14, 2015, 05:14:30 am »

AFAIK the ascii version does not have any of the updates that have been applied to the steam version. That includes recent updates to content/skills and bug fixes.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: September 14, 2015, 05:29:35 am »

the ASCII version is totally full except for the grahical pack right?????
As Niveras says, it's not got any of the patches or new content. I'd definitely recommend getting the steam version - it's not much and they seem to be serious about adding a lot of new content/fixes.
Even just the Turret having a 1-turn warm-up makes a huge difference! Thanks for that Unormal!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: September 14, 2015, 05:35:46 am »

The character build library is bloody amazing, it's much nicer being able to save and use templates.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: September 15, 2015, 11:21:42 am »

IIRC Unormal has said that the free ASCII version will eventually get the updates going to the Steam version -- it's not being abandoned.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: September 18, 2015, 08:22:04 pm »

Feature Friday!

*Added a new weapon: hypertractor
*With Harvest, you can now harvest dreadroot tubers from dreadroot
*With Master Harvestry, you can now harvest yondercane from yonderbrush
*Added fences
*You can no longer sprint through pools of liquid
*Big pools of liquid now (correctly) cost more energy to wade through
*Gave Intimidate and Berate more descriptive descriptions
*Fixed some typos
*Fixed an issue with slowdown when a sparking baetyl is onscreen
*Fixed an issue where loading a character from the character library would sometimes double-up mutation stat bonuses

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: September 22, 2015, 03:34:44 pm »

Liked the game when it was free, not anymore now that its costs money for the version that's actually updated (nor do I like the graphics, but that's secondary). Roguelikes should never cost money, and the recent and unfortunate habit of charging for them will be the death of them.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: September 22, 2015, 03:56:21 pm »

Liked the game when it was free, not anymore now that its costs money for the version that's actually updated (nor do I like the graphics, but that's secondary). Roguelikes should never cost money, and the recent and unfortunate habit of charging for them will be the death of them.

The first commercial roguelike, Beneath Apple Manor, was made in 1978 and actually pre-dates Rogue. Commercial roguelikes were common throughout the 80's, only becoming less common in the 90's when the entire genre was in decline. It's only logical that the resurgence of roguelikes would see the return of commercial options.

Maybe it's because I'm old enough to have bought plenty of roguelikes in the 80's, but I see absolutely nothing about the genre that should prevent it from having commercial games again.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 250