Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570363 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2985 on: July 22, 2015, 04:29:36 am »

i'm interested in this hilarious faction system

tell me more
Did you read above? Insects hate him for not admitting them to the local library...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: July 22, 2015, 07:46:58 am »

Antelopes like me!
Thanks, antelopes, I like you too.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: July 22, 2015, 07:51:20 am »

I am disappoint that the lairs on the salt desert that I used to have fun exploring in the free version are now just empty caves. :(

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: July 22, 2015, 08:13:33 am »

I am disappoint that the lairs on the salt desert that I used to have fun exploring in the free version are now just empty caves. :(

That's just a bug if so.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: July 22, 2015, 09:28:11 am »

Could you see about improving the firing algorithm to be able to hit stuff in corners or on walls in corridors easier? It's really annoying going with a ranged build and finding that you have to deal with jilted lovers and qudzu in melee because you can't actually shoot them from certain angles. I've lost more than one gunslinger that way.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: July 22, 2015, 11:49:07 am »

*Farmer's daughters are now slightly less captivating.
This amuses me.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: July 22, 2015, 12:08:57 pm »

Last I played this game was 4 years ago or something like that.

That was back when injectors permanently boosted stats to mutants. I also discovered a bug where you could get the points for a disadvantage and then lose the disadvantage and keep the points.

Right now I have a character on level 22 that's pretty much invincible.

Dedicated Esper, didn't put many points in ST or AG, and only 14 IN to start with.

The game is pretty much a cakewalk when you know what you're doing. I have about 1000-2000 water and no way to spend it.

I always play the game a certain way, and it leads to more or less smooth sailing until Bethesda Susa (at least with mental mutants, gonna try to play a True Man next for the cybernetics)

It goes like this:

Talk to argyve, get a level.
Walk down the hidden stairs in the pool NW in Joppa for free 50 xp
Go down to the marshes and kill glowfish, glowpods and giant dragonflies. Each gives 10 - 25 exp and none of them fight back.
Grind to level 4, level 3 if you're feeling ballsy.
Get the red wire or do the girshling quest, either is fine and about the same difficulty
Travel to Grit Gate
Go south east, grind on madpoles until level 14-15.
Talk to Indrix, go north, by the time you reach Mamon you'll be level 18
Laugh at Mamon. He's pretty weak against mental mutants.
Keep the prism
???
UNLIMITED POWAH

From there on I can just laugh at everything. I have 40 ego and my mutations do a lot of damage. I have no skills except for harvestry, but that's okay because I didn't need them.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: July 22, 2015, 01:00:10 pm »

Hmm, random question: does the player's sprite/tile change or is it always the same regardless of mutations, powers, etc.?

If not, it could be a nice feature, to tie the player tile to certain dominant mutations (or combination), or merely provide a selection the player can choose from during character creation.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: July 22, 2015, 03:54:25 pm »

Hmm, random question: does the player's sprite/tile change or is it always the same regardless of mutations, powers, etc.?

If not, it could be a nice feature, to tie the player tile to certain dominant mutations (or combination), or merely provide a selection the player can choose from during character creation.
Pretty sure Photosynthetic Skin changes your default color to green. Apart from that I'm not sure.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: July 22, 2015, 04:29:30 pm »

I started with a different icon on my gunfighter than I did with my usual 4 armed axe wielder. So maybe the background (Marauder etc) each has a different icon.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: July 23, 2015, 01:01:51 am »

Keep the prism
???
UNLIMITED POWAH

From there on I can just laugh at everything. I have 40 ego and my mutations do a lot of damage. I have no skills except for harvestry, but that's okay because I didn't need them.
Doesn't the prism murder your willpower, making all your mutations take much longer to cool down?

Could you see about improving the firing algorithm to be able to hit stuff in corners or on walls in corridors easier? It's really annoying going with a ranged build and finding that you have to deal with jilted lovers and qudzu in melee because you can't actually shoot them from certain angles. I've lost more than one gunslinger that way.
As a workaround, you can often manage to make the shot if you move the firing cursor around past the point where you're aiming (it will hit the first thing on its path, so it's fine to 'aim' at a point deep in the wall in order to get the path to go over what you actually want to shoot.)  It'd be nice if it was smarter about finding a path if one exists, though, yeah.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:04:04 am by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: July 23, 2015, 02:08:50 am »

[SteamQud July 5, 2015]
http://steamcommunity.com/app/333640/discussions/0/530646080848194826/
*Party members will no longer cause the party leader to aggro himself when they accidentally shoot each other
I'm still encountering a version of this bug in the latest version.  While I no longer go hostile to myself if an ally hits me, I'll go hostile to myself if an ally hits another ally.  This is easiest to reproduce with Burgeoning -- activate burgeoning, wish for any enemy, then walk around in circles for a bit while the spitting vines shoot at you and eventually they'll hit another friendly plant, making you hostile to yourself.
Update on this:  It also happens if you use Corrosive Gas Generation and step through your own gas -- you don't take damage, but you end up targeting yourself and become hostile to your own faction.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2997 on: July 23, 2015, 06:58:29 am »

Oh is that what's going on? I just thought burgeoning was complete shit because the plants were hostile to me. Heh

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: July 23, 2015, 12:44:26 pm »

Anyone have any advice for someone starting out? That's not in the help section. My highest level guy so far is 5 so I'm not doing that well

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: July 23, 2015, 01:10:08 pm »

Anyone have any advice for someone starting out? That's not in the help section. My highest level guy so far is 5 so I'm not doing that well

I've found being a Warden to be the best starting melee class, especially with Carapace and maybe a couple other defense mutations. Having a shield helps quite a bit and the sword skill tree thingy is fairly versatile compared to the others.

Esper is my personal favourite because of all the neat things it lets you do. Usually Force Wall + Pyro/Cryokinesis with another single target ability thrown in[Light Manipulation or Sunder Mind will do the trick, although the latter requires you take a mental disadvantage, all of which are annoying]. If you're going Esper with mental mutations, you'll need maxed Ego and Willpower and decent Constitution. Ego gives your mental mutations extra effective mutation levels, which means you can put mutation points normally used for leveling your mutations into getting MORE mutations[This is why you take the Esper trait, to make sure all mutations gained this way are mental mutations].

True men are trickier to do right, because they give up neat mutations in exchange for more stat and skill points, which means you have to get a lot of mileage out of all your extra skills and stats. Generally using firearms or tinkering is the best way to do this and I don't have nearly as much experience with those builds.

As far as general advice goes:

Get yourself up to level 5ish before doing any of the starting quests. Don't mess with Equiwhatevers unless you have a safe way of killing them. Salthoppers are nasty, sprint away from them as fast as you can. Don't get surrounded by anything, no matter how pathetic they are, lots of weak enemies with the Swarmer ability can become deadly in groups. Don't mess with the Elder or the Warden in the starting village, the former is a powerful Esper who fucks with your interface and the latter can stunlock you to death easily. The Zealot is fair game and you can freely loot all of the houses as long as you close the door first. There's some good stuff in there and you can easily find enough artifacts in there to go up a level from that one guy's tinkerer quest thingy.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 250