Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570775 times)

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2580 on: February 03, 2014, 08:10:24 am »

Glad you guys are still working on this game. Has one of the most atmospheric worlds I've experienced in awhile.

Yeah this is great news. How long have you been working on it again? Pardon my ignorance I've been away from games for a while

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: February 03, 2014, 09:16:08 am »

Glad you guys are still working on this game. Has one of the most atmospheric worlds I've experienced in awhile.

Yeah this is great news. How long have you been working on it again? Pardon my ignorance I've been away from games for a while

I've been messing around with the new game for a few weeks, as a graphical successor to Caves of Qud; it's using an improved version of the engine we developed for another commercial project, Sproggiwood.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: February 15, 2014, 10:25:53 pm »

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #2583 on: February 16, 2014, 07:48:06 am »

iwantitsobad
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: February 16, 2014, 12:44:58 pm »

I'll be the first to say I'm very happy that CoQ might be coming back. No hate on the other game, I just think CoQ is a better endeavor. I must have more fleshed out CoQ experience. CoQ and Incursion easily get my top spots for most time spent in Roguelikes.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: February 16, 2014, 12:47:26 pm »

Coq makes me happy in the coq.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: February 18, 2014, 08:20:58 pm »

Though I do hope that the fact that this is being developed primarily for tablets and phones doesn't mean it loses the depth and complexity that made the original special in the first place.

Well, two points here:

1. Caves of Qud is relentless and uncaring with it's memory use. In order to run on mobile devices, we're going to have to manage the world exploration in a different way. So the insanely persistent, infinite world is going to have to get re-scaled somehow. I think this is a pretty reasonable constraint though, since a lot of the open world ends up being drab repetition.

2. Caves of Qud, even in it's incomplete state, took something like 6 years to create. I doubt anyone wants to wait 6 years for a game release, and we've got a much more mature outlook on scope. Noone wants to wait 6 years for the next Freehold game, so I expect the first release of this engine will come much sooner, but with a much more modest scope, with a roadmap to expand; rather than waiting till we've written text-based elder scrolls to release it. :)

blazing glory

« Reply #2587 on: March 23, 2014, 03:38:54 pm »

Is there a way to change the keybindings to the traditional roguelike ones? With pressing m will get you a list of powers you can activate.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: March 23, 2014, 03:41:34 pm »

Is there a way to change the keybindings to the traditional roguelike ones? With pressing m will get you a list of powers you can activate.

Just press escape in-game and select keybindings from the menu; you can remap anything you'd like.

blazing glory

« Reply #2589 on: March 23, 2014, 07:30:22 pm »

Unfortunatly I still can't make a menu that brings up all my powers so I can select one,I suppose that's impossible then?

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: March 23, 2014, 07:33:31 pm »

Unfortunatly I still can't make a menu that brings up all my powers so I can select one,I suppose that's impossible then?

I suppose I don't fully understand the question.

One thing to note is that in the ability screen (which you reach by 'm' or 'a' by default) you can press ENTER to map a key-binding for that specific ability, which lasts the duration of the game, and overrides game-wide key-bindings for the duration of the game without permanently rebinding them.

blazing glory

« Reply #2591 on: March 23, 2014, 07:40:55 pm »

it's just I would like the keybindings and everything to be as much to general roguelikes as possible,and in most roguelikes,m brings up the magic menu that allows you to choose your magic book and choose then spell,there isn't too much room on my keyboard where I can make all the keybindings to my powers in one cluster on my keyboard,so I would like a menu that allows me to press a letter to chose a power from that menu.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: March 23, 2014, 07:49:39 pm »

it's just I would like the keybindings and everything to be as much to general roguelikes as possible,and in most roguelikes,m brings up the magic menu that allows you to choose your magic book and choose then spell,there isn't too much room on my keyboard where I can make all the keybindings to my powers in one cluster on my keyboard,so I would like a menu that allows me to press a letter to chose a power from that menu.

When you hit 'm' by default you get an ability menu, and the abilities listed already each have a letter you can pick from that menu.

Willing to put changes on the to-do list, but I feel like I still don't quite understand what you want. :)

Are you looking to re-map the keys that appear on the actual 'm' screen itself?

e: The key mappings "Use Mutation" and "Use Ability" both bring up the same unified ability screen in the current version.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:52:16 pm by unormal »

blazing glory

« Reply #2593 on: March 23, 2014, 08:43:20 pm »

The thing is that m doesn't bring up a menu to use mutations and skills,it brings up a menu to keybind those abilities,let me put it like this,this is what I want.

*Press's m*

what ability/skill would you like to use?

*Press's a which is linked to sting*

*sting is selected and press a arrow key to target monster and uses sting on it*

you see this is how Angband does it,you press m and you get a menu like this

A - magic missile

B - phase door

C - detect monsters

D - identify

once you press one of those keys the ability get's aimed at what you want it to and boom it's away

or if this system was applied in Cave's of Qud it would probably look like this

A - sting

B - harvest

C - sprint

D - slime spit

right now all you can do is keybind abilities to keys which is annoying to keep track of since if you forget then you have to press m see the correct key to press get rid of the menu and press said key,so I want a menu to activate abilities.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: March 23, 2014, 08:47:58 pm »

The thing is that m doesn't bring up a menu to use mutations and skills,it brings up a menu to keybind those abilities,let me put it like this,this is what I want.

*Press's m*

what ability/skill would you like to use?

*Press's a which is linked to sting*

*sting is selected and press a arrow key to target monster and uses sting on it*

you see this is how Angband does it,you press m and you get a menu like this

A - magic missile

B - phase door

C - detect monsters

D - identify

once you press one of those keys the ability get's aimed at what you want it to and boom it's away

or if this system was applied in Cave's of Qud it would probably look like this

A - sting

B - harvest

C - sprint

D - slime spit

right now all you can do is keybind abilities to keys which is annoying to keep track of since if you forget then you have to press m see the correct key to press get rid of the menu and press said key,so I want a menu to activate abilities.

It also allows you to keybind them, but if you look in front of each ability you'll see a), b), c)... and you can hit those keys to use those abilities. :)

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 250