Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570863 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2535 on: September 14, 2013, 11:03:00 pm »

damn thats cool...
I got nothing

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: September 14, 2013, 11:20:15 pm »

Actually I think Sproggy will be great. 

There was this old Dreamcast game, that was a dungeon crawler / town builder that I loved.  I don't remember too much about it, except there was a fat man in a bathtub that you had to get soap for.  Anyway, it sounds vaguely similar to that but more strategic?

Maybe a little like Valley Without Wind?  Not sure as I failed to pick it up on the last Humble Bundle.

Do I have the general idea there?  I think people would consume something like this, a town building strategy sort of thing?

Or is it more of an environmental balancing puzzle game?

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: September 14, 2013, 11:33:50 pm »

Actually I think Sproggy will be great. 

There was this old Dreamcast game, that was a dungeon crawler / town builder that I loved.  I don't remember too much about it, except there was a fat man in a bathtub that you had to get soap for.  Anyway, it sounds vaguely similar to that but more strategic?

Maybe a little like Valley Without Wind?  Not sure as I failed to pick it up on the last Humble Bundle.

Do I have the general idea there?  I think people would consume something like this, a town building strategy sort of thing?

Or is it more of an environmental balancing puzzle game?

It's really targeted at the mobile playstyle, where you sit down at the end of the day, or in line for something, or in transit somewhere. I'm a big fan of the Kairosoft games, but they increasingly feel to me like the choices you make don't matter, They're very fun, but hollow. My goal was to produce a game in that vein, playable in short sessions, but with a real skill-based game underneath.

The basic story is that of a foreign people pulled into a little wilderness, who have to carve out civilization from the wilderness. Early on your actions, which seem innocuous, have some unexpected and profound consequences that ultimately drive the plot.

The basic gameplay is centered around relatively short (3-4 level) roguelike adventures that are tactically dense. It's not quite a puzzle-game, the dungeons are bigger than your screen, and you move around and bump attack minions a lot, but the mechanics very carefully pruned down from a traditional roguelike. Each class has 5 abilities and can choose a weapon, armor and accessory at the start of an adventure. Each class ability uses stamina, and you regenerate stamina by killing monsters. There's no passive health regeneration at all, though you can find environmental effects or consumable items that will restore your health. We really wanted to try to encourage the really fun parts of roguelikes, which are moving forward and exploring, finding stuff (good and bad), and pounding on groups monsters with some tactical decision making; and discourage the less fun parts, like training monsters backwards through dungeons and running 5 floors back to regenerate health in safety before killing one more monster, to rinse-repeat.

Each adventure is self contained. The adventurer you go in with has his abilities and equipment set at the start (unless you find consumables or other boosting status effects in the adventure), but you collect resources that you can use to build your town up, and find items and equipment that you can use on your future adventures. Building your town up unlocks additional classes and abilities for those classes. As you level up associated buildings, at first you unlock your class abilities, and later you choose from a tree of options that let you customize and specialize the play-style of a class. As you advance through the plot, more dungeons become available to you; there's eventually around a dozen or so dungeons, each with a different set of possible monsters and environmental hazards, and each with two difficulty levels. It's not quite as infinite and open-ended an experience as something like Caves of Qud; but it's the sort of game I'd personally want to have on my tablet and phone, but just doesn't really exist.

That said, I'd also like a big graphical version of Caves of Qud on my tablet or phone, but that just doesn't make sense for us in terms of scope (yet). This game is reasonable in scope, so that it's something we can actually finish (barely), and it's the sort of game we like to play, so after quite a bit of deliberation, it became our first real commercial project. We'll see how it goes! :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 11:36:15 pm by unormal »

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: September 15, 2013, 01:56:17 am »

Well, time to put my kettle to the faucet.

I have to say, I am kinda looking forward to Project Blockhead (or whatever it is you guys are calling it now). It looks neat and seems like it could be a very interesting addition to my (meager) menagerie of phone apps.

As for Caves of Qud, it was one of the first roguelikes I tried, right after Cataclysm, DF and Nethack. I found it more approachable and fun than the previous titles (although ASCII was still an issue for me back them) and sporting a very neat and interesting world, a post-apocalypse far away from what is currently mainstream (zombies, cars and firearms) in the post-apoc genre and reminiscent of the paperback sci-fi novels of the 50s and 60s, with a lot of neat concepts and interesting ideas.

It is, of course, far from perfect, but I sank many hours into it and like to play it every now and then to have some fun chasing around salamanders and mutant plants. So, I am definetly looking forward to seeing its continued development.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: September 15, 2013, 07:27:57 am »

Of course Qud is quality--just a matter of how they can get things to shake out from here.  Even if a KS never happens in a Cataclysm like sense of further bolstering as opposed to full-on completion---I do think useful damage could be done via a Bounty Board along the lines that Kornel and friends over on Chaosforge have been wrangling for quite some time for DoomRL and the rest of their stable of projects.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: September 15, 2013, 10:54:49 am »

It's good to see more information about Sproggiwood. It still sounds a little 'light' for me, but I'll definitely keep an eye open to learn more. One thing I am curious about is whether the dungeons are fixed, or are procedurally-generated?

Yeah, the dungeon levels are procedurally generated each time. In fact, many of them actually use procedural level building code pulled right out of Caves of Qud.

Since Sproggiwood is in Unity3D, which uses C# as it's main language, and Caves of Qud was written in C#, I was actually able to move most of the important core pieces from the Caves of Qud engine into Sproggiwood. The AI, dungeon builders, and the flexible component-driven object engine from Caves of Qud are all part of Sproggiwood. Though we've intentionally pared down the core mechanics in Sproggiwood, the actual underlying engine is a pretty robust general cross-platform roguelike engine, at least as powerful as Caves of Qud's.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: September 15, 2013, 11:50:06 am »

That said, I'd also like a big graphical version of Caves of Qud on my tablet or phone,

Hear, hear.

Android with ASCII would be fine.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 11:58:48 am by BigD145 »

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: September 15, 2013, 11:52:12 am »

That said, I'd also like a big graphical version of Caves of Qud on my tablet or phone,

Hear, hear.
I approve.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: September 16, 2013, 11:18:53 am »

I really like that picture up there!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: September 27, 2013, 09:48:32 pm »

Here's some gifs of Sproggiwood in action, to give you guys a quick early peak. It's completely playable, we're working on fleshing out the remaining content.

Warrior charges (you'll notice the slimes leaving behind slippery puddles, just like Qud amoebas):

Wizard teleports and kills some slimes with frost ring:

Farmer chucks a pumpkin to kill a group of slimes:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 10:00:06 pm by unormal »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: September 27, 2013, 09:59:15 pm »

That is probably the cutest roguelke ever. :)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2546 on: September 27, 2013, 10:05:27 pm »

I really like the graphics there and I assume just as much detail will go into all the rest so if the mechanics turn out solid I definitely think it will be worth my time when it comes out. One thing I would point out is that the wizards robe seems a little short and if its not a robe and more of a vest or something it looks like a short robe though that may just be that I am used to seeing wizards in robes so it ends up looking like one.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 10:07:11 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: September 28, 2013, 02:46:19 am »

Wow, astounding amounts of detail and murderous explosive pumpkins. I am impressed. I'll definetly check this out once it's out.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: October 14, 2013, 01:04:34 pm »

I finally gave Caves of Qud a serious try and I am hooked, especially now that I abandoned my four-armed axe-wielder for a Eunuch.  The flavor of the world reminds me a little of Beneath a Steel Sky, which I love.

Does Joppa only have the one merchant?  I already bought all the lead slugs and I'm gonna need more soon.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: October 14, 2013, 03:08:39 pm »

Towns only have one merchant each (although Joppa does have the scientist dude as well).
Their stock renews after a while, but I have no clue how long it takes.

I would recommend trying to find another ranged weapon to (temporarily) swap out with your gun if you think ammo is really going to be a concern.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 250