Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 571020 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2340 on: March 25, 2012, 06:47:17 pm »

Find a carbide longsword or similar weapon with good penetration and just hold the movement key in the direction of the door. You'll probably get through.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: March 25, 2012, 07:36:33 pm »

it took me a while to work out that the rusty arch was not, in fact, the grit place...

i love my char. i almost got him killed by running into an active chaingun turret, but i managed to use a recoiler to get outta there.

tinker/dual short swords is just too fun when you get folded carbide swords at level 4.

also i fell in love with an apple farmers daughter. i looked around to see if it would trigger a quest line or something, even tried giving her a rose, but she just ignored me :( now I see why theres so many of those vines about.

EDIT: I just died. To a legendary chaingun. It was EMP'd, and I threw another EMP right next to it, which apparently had no effect even though one that landed 5 squares away took it out for four rounds...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:20:08 pm by Twiggie »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: March 27, 2012, 07:30:29 pm »

Find a carbide longsword or similar weapon with good penetration and just hold the movement key in the direction of the door. You'll probably get through.

Might have slightly better luck with blunt weapons since their have higher armor penetration.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: March 27, 2012, 08:53:27 pm »

Might have slightly better luck with blunt weapons since their have higher armor penetration.

Blunt weapon and penetration make no sense in the same sentence. :P
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: March 27, 2012, 11:02:00 pm »

A blunt weapon transfer more kinetic energy to the surface then a slashing or stabbing weapon. Thus, a hammer will still hurt, though it will hurt less.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2345 on: March 28, 2012, 04:57:00 pm »

Historically hammers and maces were the weapon of choice for fucking up armor. A mace could dent and distort the heavy plate armors so much that wearing them became a liability, and an actual hammer could rend holes in thin metal plates because its weight lends it a lot of force when it impacts.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: March 28, 2012, 05:53:10 pm »

I haven't played the game extensively yet, but I'm having a lot of fun with my longsword-wielding character. I gave him insane ability to avoid attacks and take damage, so although killing things may take a bit longer, he can easily survive multiple enemies.

Also, I hate plants. The game is starting to affect my disposition towards them. I go outside, see a tree, and scowl at it.  >:(

UPDATE - Damn it all, it seems that Scalding Steam is capable of doing over 14 damage at a single touch. What the hell.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:43:26 pm by Nighthawk »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: March 29, 2012, 12:12:08 am »

I haven't played the game extensively yet, but I'm having a lot of fun with my longsword-wielding character. I gave him insane ability to avoid attacks and take damage, so although killing things may take a bit longer, he can easily survive multiple enemies.

Also, I hate plants. The game is starting to affect my disposition towards them. I go outside, see a tree, and scowl at it.  >:(

UPDATE - Damn it all, it seems that Scalding Steam is capable of doing over 14 damage at a single touch. What the hell.
Yeah, stay the hell away from steam, you will take insane damage from it, even though being on fire at 9999 degrees only does 1 damage per turn (athough I should point out that 10000 degrees instantly kills you).

I tried some melee true humans, and although they had a great early game, once you start going up against tougher enemies with better armor and that do lots of damage and have good penetration, it becomes very hard.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: March 30, 2012, 08:48:38 pm »

Well, I just had quite the adventure.

I freaked out after I realized that my food stocks were all but gone and I was starving, so I jumped into the nearest area from the world map, and ran smack into the Apple Farm. The "friendly" guard dogs looked mighty tasty to my starved adventurer, so I begin hacking them to bits with my Carbide Short Sword.
I soon noticed the Apple Farmer's Daughter, and by instinct, used the "Look" command to see if she was as powerful as the Joppa NPCs. She was not, but I also ended up... falling in love with her? Hilariously enough, in my panic for food, I slaughtered everyone on the farm, daughter and father included. Then I looted the bodies and ate the dogs.
I feel like this is DF all over again.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: March 30, 2012, 09:22:26 pm »

Sounds kinda like my exploits today :p

I started a dodge guy, I can get up to 24 dodge as of midway through bethesda. i seem to remember someone complaining about hardly being able to hit the monsters there - thats less of a problem when they cant hit you. at all.

back to the point i was making - i was wandering around in the jungle, with no food. and i discovered you could eat pygmys. so i've been gorging myself on their little bite-sized snacks every time i run into them.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: March 31, 2012, 03:08:19 am »

You can eat bout 90% of your enemies, food is only really needed for long distance traveling.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: March 31, 2012, 08:55:50 am »

well.

just died by violating the pauli exclusion principle.

now i am pissed.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: March 31, 2012, 02:03:26 pm »

I hate plants. The game is starting to affect my disposition towards them. I go outside, see a tree, and scowl at it.  >:(
Success! This game turns people into dwarves.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

L0master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: April 01, 2012, 07:34:22 am »

I have a problem: whenever my character dies, and the message to press psacebar pops up, I press space and it just freezes, no postmortem screen, nothing. Pressin Esc unfreezes it and brings me to the title screen. Then if I try to view highscores the screen is black and again pressing Esc brings the title screen.
No such problems in console mode.
Number of kills: 15
 dog: 1
 your mother: 14

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: April 03, 2012, 12:45:11 am »

Is there any way to get through Golgotha without contracting glotrot? Every time I got in, I come out and lose my tongue, every damned time. I don't even touch the "Q" guy, and I vaporize all the sludge I find (and avoid any vapors).
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 250