Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 571112 times)

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2265 on: February 29, 2012, 11:05:02 pm »

I tried this game, but I kept dying. Any advice?

Dont die
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: February 29, 2012, 11:46:43 pm »

I tried this game, but I kept dying. Any advice?
Try playing a true man praetorian with a focus on strength and endurance. They play simply while still being pretty powerful.

If you're having trouble getting off the ground, try spending some time in the swamps around Joppa leveling up before you go on any of the quests. That's the lowest level area in the game, and it's pretty hard to get yourself killed there.

If you're dying later on, all I can suggest is the standard roguelike mantra of being a huge coward and not fighting anything that you're not sure you can kill and/or escape in short order if things go pear shaped.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #2267 on: March 01, 2012, 12:28:04 am »

Yeah, the only baetyls which are really worth it are is the one that "gives you enhanced prowess", which gives you either mutation point/points or a attribute points.
All the others have good odds of just giving you junky stuff or stuff thats not very useful by that point in the game.

I'll defend the equipment rewards a little. Unmodified pump shotgun is about as bad as it should get. :) On the other hand, some of the possible items are very nice -- including some out-of-depth stuff, even for that point in the game.

Already using an eigenrifle since like level 8. Got the recipe when I picked tinkering 2. Haven't seen any guns even close to it drop yet. Was kinda hoping the "blazing cannon" would be a phase cannon or something. Eigenrifle seems pretty good though, doesn't use much charge and does good damage.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: March 01, 2012, 12:52:29 am »

I'm using dual desert revolvers, I like them a lot. 
I used a pump shotgun for a while, well in certain situations, would switch between it and a rifle (before I got my dual revolvers)
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: March 01, 2012, 10:18:01 am »

Just getting lost
"Oh a small lake with glowfish, awesome"

Those are not glowfish. One of those madfish bites me, 4 go into frenzy and the one who bit me first locked onto my arm.
He ripped my arm off.
Dead in two turns.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: March 01, 2012, 10:25:20 am »

Just getting lost
"Oh a small lake with glowfish, awesome"

Those are not glowfish. One of those madfish bites me, 4 go into frenzy and the one who bit me first locked onto my arm.
He ripped my arm off.
Dead in two turns.
They give good XP though. You can just pick em off with a ranged attack. I have only once tried to melee one and I had to use the rubber injector to get away from its grasp.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: March 01, 2012, 12:02:29 pm »

Yep, it's fine.  I usually end up leaving all the water I don't need to drink right outside Dromad or Argyve's place. 

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: March 01, 2012, 12:18:17 pm »

You can increase attributes every few levels
*Hugs*

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: March 01, 2012, 12:36:48 pm »

Yeah, 27 int probably won't be all that helpful to your survival prospects
*Hugs*

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: March 01, 2012, 12:41:02 pm »

I usually start with low int and build it up slowly over time. Costs too much to raise attributes high.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: March 01, 2012, 01:02:15 pm »

I usually get everything but strength to 18. Its the most efficient since I dont have to spend 2 points per attribute and I dont use strength pretty much at all, can go to 25 int on a successful run, dont get tinker 3 sadly, but 25 is really where the good tinker stuff is(love me some expert dissassemble). I play mutants though.

And there really isnt any point to starting with too high intel, by the time you get decent parts you should already have enough levels to get the tinker perks.

EDIT: Anyone got any good mutant builds? Carapace, Flaming Hands, Ravenous and 2 Unstable Genome is awesome, but anyone have any favourites they would like to share?
EDIT: Level 3 and a drillbot chasing me. Lairs are funny.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:39:40 pm by cerapa »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: March 01, 2012, 02:24:19 pm »

My current build.
Esper, unstable genome, cyrokenisis, force wall, light manipulation, evil twin defect
18 toughness, 22 willpower, 24 ego
Take the tinker class so you get tinker I without needing any more int (which is really all I need, pretty much all the other stuff you tinker you can also get on your own at later levels, and being able to manufacture grenades are pretty much all you really need out of the skill anyways.
Cyrokenisis can't do as much damage as pyrokenisis, but being able to keep a enemy frozen for fifteen rounds is awesome and pretty much means that I can kill anything that gets frozen in the meantime.
The evil twin is pretty much totally negated by cyrokenisis, once he freezes, he can't do anything, but if you are frozen you can still use your mutations.

It lacks some firepower early game, but other then that once you get going its pretty much unstoppable as long as you play cautious (keep anything dangerous out of melee range, kill strong psysics and ranged with extreme prejudiced, make sure to use force wall as a sheild) from anything besides 1-hit ko's.
Its only real problem is that killing a swarm of things at once is a pain and requires quite a while, but as long as your caucious you should be able to kill pretty much anything.

My current (level 20) mutant with this build has Teleportation, Force Wall, Pyrokenisis, Sunder Mind, Stunning Force, Life Drain, Light Manipulation and Ego projection, and has pretty much done everything he can at this point (well besides going to get killed by the ape god or getting killed in the zone of death that is.

Other thoughts: Ego Projection mutation is pretty nice, while not turning you into the equivalent of someone who actually put stat points into it (since you don't get the skills, and you can only really raise one at a time), getting a 26 agi on a pure ego build is really nice end-game (egincannon with great accuracy FTW), same with being able to have 26 strength, and actually use your fullerite battle-axe with its actual penetration (even though you miss a fair bit) and kill stuff in 1 on 1 combat without bothering to use your psychic abilities.
Tap the mass mind allows you to raise two at once, so you will be near the equivalent or a regular warrior who actually put stat point into them.
If you get tap the mass mind to level 14 (which requires like level 27 or something crazy like that) then the cooldown is 5 rounds, or with a decent will score, more 3 or even 2 rounds.
You can abuse this by combinding it with ego projection to get your stats astronomically high.
Using a test build, I killed a salt kraken in melee my stats at the time were: ST:33, AG: 177, TO: 131, Dodge: 71, HP: 1974
Even with the best armor I could wish for still did 100+ damage per hit, but with 70 dodge he only managed to score one or two.
I usually start with low int and build it up slowly over time. Costs too much to raise attributes high.
The problem with that is that you will never be able to get any of the best abilities, and that by the time that you are able to notice the difference that starting with for instance only 18 ego (or 18 intelligence) has done you, you will already be level 10 and be underpowered and wont be able to advance as far as another who put 24 in the stat they need most.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: March 01, 2012, 02:36:26 pm »

I sometimes like going with 4 unstable mutations and just letting it surprise me.

Just found out sparking Baetyls are awesome for attribute points. One in Grit Gate asked for 6 flayed goatfolk corpses, which was a pain in the ass (I rounded them up from the burning goatfolk village, the one you go to for that quest for the prism). I had to pile them all up, then recall to Grit Gate, then move them one at a time over to the Baetyl. It gave me 3 attribute points, though.

The problem with that is that you will never be able to get any of the best abilities, and that by the time that you are able to notice the difference that starting with for instance only 18 ego (or 18 intelligence) has done you, you will already be level 10 and be underpowered and wont be able to advance as far as another who put 24 in the stat they need most.

Well, int isn't something you need right now. It's a requirement for higher tinkering and gives some extra skill points. With that reward from the sparking baetyl I could easily pump my int up right now to get tinker 3 :D

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: March 01, 2012, 02:40:24 pm »

I sometimes like going with 4 unstable mutations and just letting it surprise me.

Just found out sparking Baetyls are awesome for attribute points. One in Grit Gate asked for 6 flayed goatfolk corpses, which was a pain in the ass (I rounded them up from the burning goatfolk village, the one you go to for that quest for the prism). I had to pile them all up, then recall to Grit Gate, then move them one at a time over to the Baetyl. It gave me 3 attribute points, though.

Well, int isn't something you need right now. It's a requirement for higher tinkering and gives some extra skill points. With that reward from the sparking baetyl I could easily pump my int up right now to get tinker 3 :D
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait

3 attribute points? Seems its time to visit some baetyls.

EDIT: Thanks for informing me of the mass mind trick, its awesome.

Im guessing they might all be boosted from ego projection?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 03:10:03 pm by cerapa »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: March 01, 2012, 03:25:34 pm »

Yeah. Don't go to one expecting to get that.
I've visited about a over a dozen (most generated using wishes for testing).
The options are: splended vestment, blazing cannon, great weapon (or whatever its called), enhanced prowess.
Splended vestment, blazing cannon, and the melee weapon one aren't very good, usually the item pretty useless for the effort you get out (although splended vestment can be good) and the stage of the game you are in.
Only enchanced prowess only grant mutation/attribute points.
Of those 1/2 are probably insanely hard/near impossible to get the items for.

From the few that I have seen that have succeeded and are enhanced prowess, one granted one mutation point, one granted a attribute point, one granted three mutation points.
I assume that a success gives a 25% of either of the four options succeeding. If you are a true human the chance of mutation points are probably removed.

While its great in theory, odds are that in a single game you will only find one or two baetyls that you will succeed in getting to give you enhanced prowess, and even then you probably won't get any attribute points.
Well, not just int.
If you are strength melee, you always want to be at the penetration cap for your weapon. Very easy at the start, but with weapons that go up to penetration 13 at the endgame, even a +1 to penetration is a pretty significant difference.
Same with agility, if you use short blades, or if you always want to hit your target with ranged weapons.

And most important are the skills.
29 agi/str and the skills they give you access to are very powerful. Rapid fire for rifles basically triples whatever benifits that you gain from aiming. Bonecrusher doubles cudgel damage. Agi 29 allows you to fire pistols in 75% of the time.
And even below that, the 25/27 skills are very powerful too.
I suppose if you take a +2 stat class then you are able to get to 26 by level 20, which is nice but not quite as important.[/spoiler]

To be honest though, I am really arguing from a mental mutant standpoint, I suppose it isn't that important for other classes, but if you max ego, that will result in three levels over 18 ego in every single mutation (which is about 18 mutation points in benefits) when you finally get to a level where it matters.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 250