Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 569741 times)

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #225 on: December 22, 2010, 05:49:31 pm »

I wish there was a way where you can "lock" one or two attributes on the character creation screen.  Like say I want my intelligence at 22, it'll stay there if its locked and the system can distribute any leftover points accordingly when I reroll.  I think some other RPGs do this system too, it'll probably cut down time on character creation by alot (for me at least).

EDIT: Is there a max level in this game?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 06:00:21 pm by Tnx »

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 22, 2010, 06:11:03 pm »

I've learned. Anything will die if you burn it long enough. I melted a mountain with flaming hands. I was on the other side of the map and the heat was so strong that it lit me on fire.

I love this game.

Also, watching something scary dig through your forcefield and corner you inside of it is the most horrifying thing ever.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 22, 2010, 06:25:13 pm »

So far there seems to be two glowpad merchants.  One who is named "odd glowpad" and the other is "oddly hued glowpad".  The first one is purple and the second one if light blue.  I made them hostile both of the times I've encountered them so I keep going back to an earlier save.  Arghh finding these guys is so annoying.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 22, 2010, 06:46:18 pm »

Unormal, there's a visual bug when resting on 1 hp while bleeding and die. When you die it skips the popup that lists what you got killed by and then just shows goes back to the screen with "resting until healed" infinitely going. Leaving the screen makes the game enter the mortem(or whatever the screen is called) screen for a split second before it goes back to the main menu with "resting until healed" still going on the main screen. From there on if you try to do anything it constantly goes back to the main screen.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 22, 2010, 09:22:42 pm »

Is tinkering worth it?  I was thinking of getting it to make bullets with, how many bullets can you make from an ingredient/scrap?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 22, 2010, 09:33:49 pm »

50 per tinkering, if it's standard. S'how much I got from the one time I had a guy with th'lead slug recipe, the one time he used it. It costs all of one light blue bit (whatever they're called) and you'll be drowning in the things after a pretty short while, so it's effectively infinite ammo for slug throwers.

As for 'worth it'... yeah, I think so. Source of easy to find energy cells, effectively free grenades, and occasionally the useful weapon (if you can't scrounge one up before you can tinker it up). So it's basically infinite utility items (ammo/grenades/autoinjectors) for a fairly small XP investment. I dunno what tier 3 tinkering does yet, but tier two (400 net SP, 500 if you count disassemble.) gets you stuff like electrobows and solar cells, so it's all good.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 22, 2010, 09:45:02 pm »

As for 'worth it'... yeah, I think so. Source of easy to find energy cells, effectively free grenades, and occasionally the useful weapon (if you can't scrounge one up before you can tinker it up). So it's basically infinite utility items (ammo/grenades/autoinjectors) for a fairly small XP investment. I dunno what tier 3 tinkering does yet, but tier two (400 net SP, 500 if you count disassemble.) gets you stuff like electrobows and solar cells, so it's all good.

Plus, once you start going underground far enough, everything and its two-headed brother has some sort of scrap that can be turned into parts for your tinkering. I haven't gotten Tier 2 tinkering yet (except for when I tried an Artifex), but man, grenades are crazy useful.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 23, 2010, 12:03:44 am »

Have just found 'small sphere of negative weight'. I want more of them.

Anyone know when you start running into AI microcontrollers (white bits) regularly?

Also: Ancient Bones. To eat, or not to eat?
Ask not!
Ask!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 23, 2010, 12:08:25 am »

Also: Ancient Bones. To eat, or not to eat?
Eat. FOR SCIENCE!

Edit: Just killed a slumberling and... Wow, 1d12 fullerite longsword. Though I've already got a 2d5 folded carbide longsword. Which one do you guys think I should use until I free up my left hand for the other?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:10:40 am by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 23, 2010, 12:14:48 am »

Is the penetration the same? I'd say go for the one with the higher pen, but if both are equal, 2d5. I prefer minimum, consistent damage over possibly hitting the jackpot.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 23, 2010, 12:21:36 am »

The second number on the penetration on the fullerite sword is 2 higher, but the first is the same as the folded carbide sword. I'm assuming the second number is max and the first is max with current strength bonus, so I'm sticking with the carbide sword for now until I get better penetration(Carbide is 9/9, vs fullerite which is 9/11).

Edit: Oh god rustacean. I hate them so much. Please die.

Edit2: Whew, he died. Seriously, their rusting attack is annoying.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:26:39 am by Tarran »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 23, 2010, 12:25:41 am »

Iirc, fullerite's like a point or so higher pen than folder carbide. I know my hammerman of persistent flaming-confusion (ragehatekillfrenzykillfrenzykillfren...) swapped out his folded carbine hammer for a slender fullerite maul.

And yes, penetration values is what-you-have/what-the-weapon's-max-is. Your penetration (not the weapon's) is based off your strength. Penetration over the weapon's max does precisely jack, near as I can tell.

Fyi on penetration values, the best penetration is cudgels, followed by axes, then everything else (barring vibro weapons, possibly, which I haven't seen yet.). Cudgels seem have the lowest damage, though, which is mostly offset by bonecrusher. As a mid-range weapon, axes seem to be pretty solid, while cudgels will wreck someone's day all to hell (stunstunstunstunstun), and swords are more tactical-like, with their stances and such. Daggers are offhand buggers, and probably not the best of idea for a primary weapon (<Something else>/dagger, yes, especially on a four-arm mutant :P).

EDIT: Ate the ancient bones. Didn't seem to be any different from a bog standard corpse. It hit the spot! ::)

EDIT2: Oh wow, I'm not sure if this is a bug or something awesome...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Even in death, the crab struck me down. RIP Jack the Nth.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:50:49 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 23, 2010, 12:53:53 am »

That is strangely ironic. I was talking about how much I hate rustaceans and then you died from one.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 23, 2010, 01:28:56 am »

Can someone explain to me how the overland map scales with the individual area screens?  I see the gold $ sign on the zone above Joppa, I searched all over the swamps and I can't find the merchant glowpad.  I killed 100s of glowpads by now..

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 23, 2010, 01:30:33 am »

Can someone explain to me how the overland map scales with the individual area screens?
9 screens per overland tile. Whenever you exit the overland screen you will always enter the middle of the 9 screens.

Also, don't kill glowpads unless you want the merchant to become aggressive.

Edit: Unormal, two bugs; sometimes two downstairs can be generated but there is only ever one upstairs on the level below. Not 100% sure it's a bug, but I think it is. Also, I bought a datadisk from Argvye that allows me to build strange "[energy cell]"s which have no description whatsoever(aside from the usual "A hideous specimen" description) and no color in their name. Pretty sure that's a bug.

Edit2: Unormal, another bug; vendors will sometime sell natural weapons like "bites" or mandibles.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 02:11:48 am by Tarran »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 250