Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 571168 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2175 on: December 19, 2011, 11:28:37 am »

You die!

Killed by Su-wofubuwof, the calloused Snapjaw Bear-baiter.

I guess some things just never change :P

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: December 19, 2011, 11:54:04 am »

Here's a little something, not much yet but it's a start.

CoQ_Deons_mod_R1

- Plump mushrooms now grow in the wild (jungles).
- Jungles now have a rare chance to have banana trees.
- New harvestable plants: ash yam and bitterleaf. Ash yams grow in plains and in mountains, bitterleaf grows in swamps.
- A new book with a few advices for starting players, you can buy one from the Joppa's warden.

You need to start a new game for the mod to work.

That's cool; I've had some ideas for better mod support for awhile, I might find time to work (some of) them into this patch.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: December 19, 2011, 03:47:48 pm »

I am now brainstorming some critters and plants which would fit into the world more or less (because it's quite unique so it's no fun to add something totally common).

The biggest "problem" I see is that the early-mid game you have to deal with the same enemies every replay. A bit of variety would be nice.

Also it would be awesome if you could add "pre-defined encounter variants" for worlds. So when you start the game the world generates mutually exclusive encounters based on XML for each area you define as having variants, so you would have a bit different worlds each time.

Wouldn't it be cool to play in a world filled with snapjaws (which are EVERYWHERE early-mid game so they become a boring enemy :P), and the next time you die and start a new character there are mermocs, goblin-like lizardmen instead (something along this line).

It would just add replayability if you could make unique enemies and/or environments with MANY variants. Of course it would not work for the most prominent things (based on lore/plot), but some additional optional enemies/plants/whatever would be an interesting gameplay mechanic.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: December 19, 2011, 04:25:13 pm »

I am now brainstorming some critters and plants which would fit into the world more or less (because it's quite unique so it's no fun to add something totally common).

The biggest "problem" I see is that the early-mid game you have to deal with the same enemies every replay. A bit of variety would be nice.

Also it would be awesome if you could add "pre-defined encounter variants" for worlds. So when you start the game the world generates mutually exclusive encounters based on XML for each area you define as having variants, so you would have a bit different worlds each time.

Wouldn't it be cool to play in a world filled with snapjaws (which are EVERYWHERE early-mid game so they become a boring enemy :P), and the next time you die and start a new character there are mermocs, goblin-like lizardmen instead (something along this line).

It would just add replayability if you could make unique enemies and/or environments with MANY variants. Of course it would not work for the most prominent things (based on lore/plot), but some additional optional enemies/plants/whatever would be an interesting gameplay mechanic.

Yeah, the engine already supports the dynamic 'theming' of areas through the merge tables system. It's a little obtuse, but basically it generates an area in stages, picking tables to merge in, and picking one table can make other related tables much more likely to be chosen for the next step of generation. You can look at the "slimepit 1" and the various slimes entries to see basically a test application of this (which is what generates the ocassional "slimy cave"). The plan is to actually use this system more, but it's just a lot of grunt work :)

The thing I'm thinking about, for this patch, is letting the engine parse additional files with underscore delimits for the primary xml files; for example, objectblueprints_deon.xml, during game startup, if they exist, so you can mod the game without modding the core files that are updated every time. That way, updating the game wouldn't smash mods, and the mods would only need to be updated when an update broke compatability with the mod (or vica versa) for some reason.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: December 19, 2011, 04:44:36 pm »

for example, objectblueprints_deon.xml, during game startup, if they exist, so you can mod the game without modding the core files that are updated every time.
This sounds delicious :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: January 21, 2012, 12:39:07 pm »

either unormal is really taking long for this patch or something happened that I am not aware off.

*attempts to reanimate the thread*
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: January 21, 2012, 02:04:32 pm »

I love this game, but I feel like the addition of a dungeon only game mode would make it a lot more enjoyable.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: January 21, 2012, 02:12:10 pm »

either unormal is really taking long for this patch or something happened that I am not aware off.

*attempts to reanimate the thread*

We're taking a good long time on Bethesda Susa; we've gone back to the drawing board a couple times on it trying to get it right. We're still working on it, though, just getting it right.

Shadowscales

• Bay Watcher
  • rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: February 01, 2012, 10:52:47 am »

I find that this game is MUCH too easy, it's difficulty would increase if you made snapjaws the post-apocalyptic kobold/poisonous.
Welcome to the fold, the weirdos are in that corner, and that one, and those two. And in the middle too, we're all weirdos in the Furry Fandom

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: February 01, 2012, 12:50:29 pm »

I find that this game is MUCH too easy, it's difficulty would increase if you made snapjaws the post-apocalyptic kobold/poisonous.

Move out beyond the snapjaws and start fighting some real enemies, robots will gut you, goatmen are badass, etc.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Shadowscales

• Bay Watcher
  • rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: February 01, 2012, 07:37:08 pm »

No, I mean food.
You just nom on snapjaws 24/7 and free food, no struggle...
Welcome to the fold, the weirdos are in that corner, and that one, and those two. And in the middle too, we're all weirdos in the Furry Fandom

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: February 01, 2012, 07:56:54 pm »

Too easy, he says.  What are you smoking, I say.

The food is a different question, but personally, I hate hunger-death in roguelikes anyway, so different strokes.  You have to eat constantly at least.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: February 01, 2012, 07:58:48 pm »

free food is no use if you die to a robot.
But you won't if you stay around the snapjaws all the time. They're easy to kill.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2188 on: February 06, 2012, 12:33:47 pm »

Yeah, it's quite an easy game if all you do is sit in a cave and eat snapjaws...  ::)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #2189 on: February 13, 2012, 08:56:29 pm »

This game is pretty hard, and I die all the time, but I keep making new characters!  What's wrong with me?   :'(
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 250