Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 571137 times)

handofluke

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2160 on: December 17, 2011, 06:07:04 pm »

I know, I am just excited that it MAY happen someday :). I play with ASCII allright, I just want to sprite something cool or contribute in another way, heheh.

My question was, are all the objects (monsters, books, items) defined in the code and the XML files are here just for parameters? Or did I miss a way to influence the "spawn tables" (you know, lists of creature types for a location) and add my own mobs to the game? I personally wouldn't mind to toy around and make a "mob pack" for more variety (strangely CoQ is the kind of game which does not require mods right now IMHO... Mostly because it's quite unique and its unusual game mechanics and lore make me afraid to "break" it by "wrong" additions, I hope you know what I mean).

Also how are the books handled? I would LOVE to add more books to the game, I feel like this feature is underdeveloped, I loved finding rare books, but they are very short/almost empty. I always liked the books in Morrowind :). So I understand that you cannot start finding "allowed-to-share" and interesting stories fitting for the world and spend all your time on it, but if a community could do it, it would be grand.

There are more books coming, one of which may or may not be a collection of poems written by a sentient plant.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: December 17, 2011, 06:08:26 pm »

But can we include our own books to spawn in the world, or only change the existing ones through the XML?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: December 17, 2011, 08:48:05 pm »

But can we include our own books to spawn in the world, or only change the existing ones through the XML?

There are a few xml files that define the world:

ObjectBlueprints.xml - This defines every object in the game in terms of "Parts" and paramaters for those parts, which are individual component classes that define or override behavior. You can composite any parts together, and there are lots of them. You can't add a new part without changing the code, but the existing parts can be used in lots of ways. Objects have lots of other things like statistics and stuff, but parts are the most critical. For example, you could create whole new book objects here, refering to a new entry in "Books.xml" and then adding the entry to an appropriate table in "EncounterTables.xml"

Worlds.xml - This defines a whole 80x25 world map, the engine supports any number, though we only have one at the moment. You define each 3x3xhowever deep cell in terms of Maps (hard-coded, made in rougepaint.exe), Builders (classes that know how to build zones), and Encounters, which refer to entries in EncounterTables.xml

EncounterTables.xml - This defines encounter tables used in Worlds.xml as well as various loot-generation parts.

Quests.xml - This defines the quests in the game, refering to quest management parts that can't be created without changing code.

Conversations.xml - This defines the in game conversations used by the ConversationScript part.

Books.xml - This defines book text used by Book part and Story property.

Commands.xml - This defines the commands and command text used by the game, but you can't add new commands without changing code.

Mods.xml - This defines the weapon mods, but you can't add new mods without changing code.

Options.xml - This defines the in-game optins list, but you can't add new options without changing code.

Skills.xml - This defines in-game skills and their attributes. You can't add new skills without changing code, but you can modify costs and prerequisites here.

So you can add all new objects, including books, and areas very easily; but adding new core behavior mostly requires code changes at this point. It wouldn't be too hard to add dynamically-scripted-Part system using something like LUA or even dynamically compiled .NET code, but I haven't written the infrastructure to fully support it, and dont' really plan on it for the moment, since I don't really need it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: December 18, 2011, 12:54:11 am »

That's good enough, I somehow missed the encountertables.xml! Thank you very much :).

Can the stuff be modded mid-game or is it read before the character creation for his/her world?

P.S. Apparently the world is "generated" for a new player, and the XML changes later don't affect it.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to see:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thank you for that, I will tell you once I have something good enough to share :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 01:34:38 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: December 18, 2011, 01:23:34 am »

That's good enough, I somehow missed the encountertables.xml! Thank you very much :).

Can the stuff be modded mid-game or is it read before the character creation for his/her world?

P.S. Apparently the world is "generated" for a new player, and the XML changes later don't affect it.

It depends; the xml files are loaded every time the executable starts, but objects or zones that have already been generated in a particular game will be based on whatever the xml files were like at the time they were generated.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: December 18, 2011, 01:35:28 am »

Allright, I think it's impossible to add new NPCs to "hardcoded" areas like Joppa, right? T'is a shame, I want to add a few vendors and flavor NPCs here and there :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: December 19, 2011, 03:10:54 am »

What defines which items can an NPC cell?

If I add a book into joppa warden's inventory, he sells it. If I add it to the elder, he does not (but he still can sell waterines), what influences that?

Also are trade item tables hardcoded? I could not find them in Encounters.xml.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: December 19, 2011, 03:16:28 am »

If I add a book into joppa warden's inventory, he sells it. If I add it to the elder, he does not (but he still can sell waterines), what influences that?

I can answer this actually.

Add TWO books to the Elder's inventory. He automatically equips the first one into his hand slot, but the second shouldn't.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: December 19, 2011, 03:41:42 am »

Didn't feel like trawling 150+ pages of thread :P

Is this one any good, should I get excited, or is it another case of "It had potential but flopped, but we still love it because we love roguelikes"?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: December 19, 2011, 04:00:01 am »

I can answer this actually.

Add TWO books to the Elder's inventory. He automatically equips the first one into his hand slot, but the second shouldn't.
I tried to add two... Maybe three? :D

Is this one any good, should I get excited, or is it another case of "It had potential but flopped, but we still love it because we love roguelikes"?
This is an AWESOME roguelike. Quite deadly though, so be careful.

It has a totally unique world, good game mechanics (really good), awesome crafting and great progression.

Note: mutated human = mage, mutations = magical abilities (or physical), learn to treat it this way. If you want a more interesting yet harder gameplay, go mutant. If you are starting and/or want an easier "warrior" experience, then the true human is the way to go.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: December 19, 2011, 04:01:34 am »

Here's a little something, not much yet but it's a start.

CoQ_Deons_mod_R1

- Plump mushrooms now grow in the wild (jungles).
- Jungles now have a rare chance to have banana trees.
- New harvestable plants: ash yam and bitterleaf. Ash yams grow in plains and in mountains, bitterleaf grows in swamps.
- A new book with a few advices for starting players, you can buy one from the Joppa's warden.

You need to start a new game for the mod to work.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: December 19, 2011, 04:26:21 am »

Very good, on par with Cataclysm IMO.
*Hugs*

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: December 19, 2011, 04:27:59 am »

I believe you're being quite redundant there *adjusts monocle*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2173 on: December 19, 2011, 07:10:14 am »

I believe you're being quite redundant there *adjusts monocle*
Quite.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: December 19, 2011, 11:14:54 am »

Time to see if anything changed in this game since I last played.
Read: Time to see if I will survive the initial dungeon this time.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 250