Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570975 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1965 on: June 05, 2011, 11:40:25 pm »

That taco saved my life.

Killed a slumberling in the deep salt dunes with sunder mind and temporal fugue. It dropped a taco. Went to kill its buddy the same way. By the time it dies, it turns out I've run out of water a few days back and was fully dehydrated. Ate that taco and made it back by parched.

Incidentally, if you want XP but are set for gear at the moment, wander the salt dunes. Look for lairs, which are worth about 1k xp each. You can easily hit level 10 off of them.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #1966 on: June 06, 2011, 10:33:57 am »

Just make sure you have water...

Edit: Do solar cells recharge when you're traveling in the overworld map?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:25:08 am by Kishmond »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: June 06, 2011, 11:26:09 am »

Or a recoiler.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: June 06, 2011, 11:57:41 am »

Edit: Do solar cells recharge when you're traveling in the overworld map?

Not that I've seen, though the last time I played was a couple versions ago. It would be nice if they did; in fact, it would be nice if they recharged regardless of whether you're world traveling or not, as long as it is day time and you're not underground. Photosynthesis could probably use a similar restriction (that is, doesn't recharge at night), although the duration of the charge might need to be extended in that case.

It would be nice from a logical standpoint: when traveling, you probably have the intelligence to place your solar cells out to recharge whenever you stop to rest or eat, though this would generally abstracted away. Even while fighting, you might have the cells hanging from your clothing rather than stuffed away in a pack so they can at least charge a little. Gameplay-wise, it just depends on how much the devs want solar and chem cells to compete. Solar cells are theoretically infinite, indirectly costing only food and water (both of which are, so far as I know, entirely renewable), but have a high degree of maintenance. Chem cells have a much bigger charge and require less maintance, and are even theoretically infinite too, albeit more of an investment (as long as you have the Recharge Cell skill and the money to buy red dot components).

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: June 06, 2011, 12:24:42 pm »

I know for a fact Photosynthetic doesn't fulfil its light requirements at night, since I had it at one point diving Red Rock and I came out at nearly starving in the middle of the night and before morning got to actually starving. Granted, it lasts a LONG time even at level one, though Grit Gate could be an issue if you don't have a recoiler for it yet.

As for solar cells vs chem cells, the charge REALLY makes a difference in some applications. For instance, Force Bracelets, an item that gives you basically the best defensive mutation in exchange for cell power, only lasts about 5-6 turns with a full solar cell. While for things like recoilers, if you have two solar cells, you can blip between joppa and grit gate without worrying about recharging chem cells ever. Then there are weapons. Certain weapons use far more power then can be stored in a solar cell, and even use up most of a chem cell (I'm looking at you Nullray Pistol and Freezeray Pistol). While others don't need the storage in chem cells, since you get a ton of shots out of even solar cells.

Then there is the last part. A warrior type with no int can recharge solar cells on his own, while you need tinkering skills to recharge chem cells, or pay people to do it. Not a bad thing, per se, but it does make Solar cells a bit more useful for the general populace of classes.

As an aside, WTF do nullray pistols do? They seem to do no damage, take a MASSIVE amount of charge per shot, and typically cost nanomaterial to make.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: June 06, 2011, 01:33:05 pm »

I'm still playing 1.0.4160.677 from three updates ago and the game is forgetting areas I've already cleared.  Is there some sort of respawn?  Even then, I should remember what the map layout was but when it re-populates the area is black and unknown.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: June 06, 2011, 01:44:56 pm »

I'm still playing 1.0.4160.677 from three updates ago and the game is forgetting areas I've already cleared.  Is there some sort of respawn?  Even then, I should remember what the map layout was but when it re-populates the area is black and unknown.
I'm pretty sure it's a bug/memory error.  IIRC the save file can become pretty huge, I wouldn't be surprised if it attempts to "clean up" by deleting old locations in an effort to save space.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: June 06, 2011, 01:50:08 pm »

Using load/save functionality or savescumming will cause this.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: June 06, 2011, 01:56:41 pm »

That would explain why a couple of full waterskins I left in joppa emptied after using Precog a bit in an attempt to get a decent random mutation.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: June 06, 2011, 02:32:31 pm »

Makes sense.  In the past when I have save scummed I lost the area I was in when I did the scumming.  This time it wasn't that because I haven't scummed this character.

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: June 06, 2011, 11:39:24 pm »

Someone said that food and water are theoretically renewable.

False!

Cleared areas never regenerate wildlife (meat), but I don't think anyone has the time or patience to explore it all.  Especially if you're including underground levels.  Merchants sell food and water, but eventually the player will run out of stuff to sell them and you'll be forced to cannibalize them in a infinite-duration game.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: June 07, 2011, 12:03:33 am »

Hmmm. Fell down a shaft and died in golgotha...with wings...while flying. That seems a bit odd. Although maybe it just needs a different message in that case?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: June 07, 2011, 12:13:54 am »

Hmmm. Fell down a shaft and died in golgotha...with wings...while flying. That seems a bit odd. Although maybe it just needs a different message in that case?

Eh well, it's not supposed to affect you if you're flying, sorry bout that.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: June 07, 2011, 12:51:48 am »

Someone said that food and water are theoretically renewable.

False!

Cleared areas never regenerate wildlife (meat), but I don't think anyone has the time or patience to explore it all.  Especially if you're including underground levels.  Merchants sell food and water, but eventually the player will run out of stuff to sell them and you'll be forced to cannibalize them in a infinite-duration game.
Food and water are NIGH renewable. Watervines can have harvested from them up to 20 vinewafers a piece with the 2nd tier of Harvestry. In the 100 turn cooldown, you need to eat about 7 of them. They restore an equal amount of food and water, and will maintain both at adequate levels. In Joppa alone, there are perhaps 100 Watervines. The surrounding flat areas contain a fair number of starapple trees, which ALSO provide good levels of food and water, at 10 apples with a 2nd tier harvest. There are also skills that slow down hunger and thirst to 2/3 and 1/6 normal rates, depending on which you go for, Photosynthetic Skin, which entirely negates the food clock and makes only water an issue, and the recycling suit, which provides water from nothing, though not at quantities a normal unskilled non mutant can last indefinitely on. However, a human getting thirsty at 1/6 speed with photosynthetic skin and a recycling suit can almost definitely sit in town for years and build up billions of drams of water through the ages.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: June 07, 2011, 01:27:57 am »

Beorn is right, its not renewable, but watervines and starapple tree eventually run out of supplies, and even with 1/6 rate, eventually you would die of dehydration/hunger. Granted, it would take just about forever to completely run out of food/water (especially since you can sell stuff for food/water), but eventually you would run out of goods to sell, and would collect and sell every item, and harvest all the watervines and starapples.
It would take about a hundred million turns, but it is still doable.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 250