Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570412 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1500 on: March 30, 2011, 04:50:50 pm »

I love how often this game updates.

And I hate Evil Twin. Bastard was better at combat that I was. I even stunned him and he killed me with a crit when he came out of stun. Grrr.

Oh, well. New version, so I needed that character to die anyway.

Still working on the spreadsheet. It has a lot more data in it, now. So once I get it organized a bit I'll open it up for everyone to use.
Yeah, evil twin is a nasty piece of work.
At one point, one of mine attacked me and did quite alot of damage with sunder mind. I dropped a bomb poison grenade (set to go off in 5 rounds), and teleported away. It didn't say i killed him, but after exploring the whole level, i concluded that he died (or dissapeared somehow). When i went down the stairs, he instakilled me with sunder mind  >:(
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: March 30, 2011, 04:53:28 pm »

BLARG DRILLBOTS DRILLING ME TO DEATH. I even had a freeze grenade...

So what exactly would be a good mutation set?
A Force mutation and Disintegration are very good choices if you're surrounded by problematic enemies. Regeneration is also generally good for many builds. Never can have enough health regen.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: March 30, 2011, 05:01:44 pm »

I get kinda frustrated with how much this updates honestly. I havent lost a character to anything other than a glitch in some time. Grr. Too good at this.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: March 30, 2011, 05:03:15 pm »

I get kinda frustrated with how much this updates honestly. I havent lost a character to anything other than a glitch in some time. Grr. Too good at this.

You could always keep different versions in different folders. Keep older characters viable and still try out new stuff.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: March 30, 2011, 05:13:39 pm »

Same. But, as Mephansteras said, you can keep playing the old versions. And frequent updates means new features often.

Anyway, I found something strange; when I got to the odd glowpad, next to him were two glowfish corpses... so it's okay for him to kill them but not the player? Hypocrite.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: March 30, 2011, 05:14:55 pm »

I have yet to find the odd glowpad. Either one. I keep looking, but I just never seem to find him. Kind of frustrating.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: March 30, 2011, 05:17:59 pm »

BLARG DRILLBOTS DRILLING ME TO DEATH. I even had a freeze grenade...

So what exactly would be a good mutation set?

There are probably too many to name. Many mutations can seem OP if you play to their strengths.

That said, a high WP/Ego metal mutant using Force Bubble and Pyro/Cryokinesis/Lase seem pretty strong. Flaming Hands also seems like it is pretty strong, and very short cooldown. You can maybe pick that up if you can spare it to mix in while your mental mutations cool down.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: March 30, 2011, 05:23:12 pm »

I have yet to find the odd glowpad. Either one. I keep looking, but I just never seem to find him. Kind of frustrating.
If you don't mind a bit of cheating, turn on the "Indicate overland encounters on the main map" in the Debug section of the options page. You should then be able to see the oddly hued glowpad (the cyan one) as a $. He will be in one of the nine screens.

If you still can't find him, F9 and look hard. You'll eventually find the little cyan wonder-weapon seller.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: March 30, 2011, 05:30:40 pm »

Hey guys, I'm a little confused. Where do I find the newest version? All I can find was the same public beta build I downloaded o_o

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: March 30, 2011, 05:33:38 pm »

Hey guys, I'm a little confused. Where do I find the newest version? All I can find was the same public beta build I downloaded o_o
The latest version is always on this page. Always. The actual download is always updated, but not the post.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: March 30, 2011, 05:37:21 pm »

Ah thanks! Are you suppose to uninstall the previous version before installing the newest one?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: March 30, 2011, 05:40:33 pm »

The link on the first post. Just go there and download that, it'll be the new version. Personally, I just use the unzip version and delete the previous one and unzip in the folder.

In regards to mutations, I agree with Niveras. 99% of the mutations can be overpowered if you know what your doing. In fact, the most balanced is probably light manipulation, since even at high levels it doesn't instant kill everything. Flaming hands can kill everything in front of you if you fire it off on a water area. Freezing hands slows everything down and at higher levels freezes them solid for several turns. Wings is basically an I win button when your aboveground, Force Bubble is an amazing panic button at any time, Force Wall works great for herding, and Carapace is basically the best armor in the game.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: March 30, 2011, 05:41:56 pm »

Ah thanks! Are you suppose to uninstall the previous version before installing the newest one?
I don't think it's 100% necessary. I've run the game successfully many times after updating by simply overwriting. Though you don't loose your settings if you delete everything because they appear to be stored somewhere else. Your saves are your only problem, but they're likely incompatible with the new version anyway. So, it's up to you.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: March 30, 2011, 06:13:25 pm »

Installing seems to remove the old version.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: March 30, 2011, 06:19:17 pm »

Ok, it's still one giant stupid list but it's good enough that I'm ok releasing it.

Here is the link

Using it is fairly easy. For looking up info you just find the item you want. The first set of columns give you the base price (0 ego mod), the Weight, and the Price Per Pound (PPP). PPP is the best way to figure out how useful an item is for trade.

For example, even though bronze daggers sell for only 1.75 and bronze long swords sell for 5.25 the dagger is actually better. It's 1.75 per pound while the sword is only 1.05.

Because of this Willowy and Slender items are worth quite a bit more in trade then the normal 10% markup that gets applied to items per mod. Not in end value, but in sell value vs weight in your inventory.

To add an item, you need to add a row at the bottom. If your Ego modifier isn't 0 you'll need to calculate the base price. There is an item calculator tab that is used for this. Just plug your info into the line there to get the base price. Then you add the item name, it's base price, and the weight to the spreadsheet. To get the other columns to fill in you just copy the cells from a fully filled in line and paste them in.

If your item has 0 weight (or negative, I suppose) put 0.1 in for the weight. That keeps the calculations from breaking and gives us a decent idea of the relative usfullness of the item. 0 weight items are awesome for holding value, since they don't hurt your inventory any.

To get everything back in alphabetical order, just highlight the sheet and go to Tools->Sort Sheet by Column A. That'll sort things out.

If you want to mess with the spreadsheet (say, order everything by the PPP to see the best trade items) please make a copy for yourself and play with it there. I don't want this one to get all messed up.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 250