Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570373 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1455 on: March 28, 2011, 07:27:31 pm »

Decided to start keeping a spreadsheet of the basic items I find, how much they weigh, and what they sell for (at 16 ego). You find way more stuff than you can carry, and I wasn't sure I was bringing back the optimal mix of loot.

Learning some interesting stuff, even though I haven't gotten much info in yet. Everything I have so far is just stuff I found in and around Joppa with a new Praetorian.

Body armor, as we all know, is useless for trade. But I was a bit fuzzy about the weapons and what was worthwhile or not.

Here is what I know so far:

Items with the best return per pound (ignoring obvious trade goods like nuggets)
iron dagger   3.50
wide-brimmed hat   2.80
steel long sword   2.10
bronze dagger   1.75
steel shield   1.46
lacquered counterweighted iron short sword   1.41
bronze short sword   1.17
desert rifle   1.17
leather boots   1.17
bronze long sword   1.05
staff   1.05

General rule of thumb seems to be:
Better materials increase the value by a good bit. Haven't figured out the exact formula yet, though.
Daggers>Short Swords>Long Swords>Maces>Battle Axes

Still need hard data on short bows, two-handed swords, vine reapers, Kris, and the various hammers. I also need to figure out the rest of the guns, although I usually break those down to bits instead of selling them anyway.

The various weapon mods, like lacquered or counterweighted, seem to add 10% to the price. So unless the item is already worth trading lacquered by itself won't help too much. They do stack, though, so the more mods on an item the more money you get.

If I release the spreadsheet on google docs would people be interested in adding information to it? As long as everyone keeps prices to the 16 ego value it would probably let us get a lot of info in.

Might need organizing, though. Right now it's just one big list, but as the categories grow it'll be necessary to split things up so it's easy to find the stuff you're looking for.

That looks heavy. If only there were some form of container for you to place it in to relieve your tired arms, perhaps a heaping bowl of failure wherein I link the wrong wiki
Here's the actual link
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 07:33:23 pm by The Merchant Of Menace »
*Hugs*

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: March 28, 2011, 07:31:04 pm »

I didn't realize we were playing Risen.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: March 28, 2011, 07:31:41 pm »

I fail at plugging wiki's :P

Corrected. my failure will be preserved in the faillink
*Hugs*

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: March 28, 2011, 07:32:26 pm »

If you do a google docs spreadsheet you could leave columns open on the right listing ego scores from 1-30 so we can get an idea of how prices scale up. Requiring anyone contributing to be at 16 ego is unrealistic

Not a bad idea. Be even easier if we can figure out the formula for how ego effects price per point. I assume it's fairly straightforward.

@Merchant of Menace: Well, that particular link goes to a wiki for Risen. I did find a wiki for CoQ although it doesn't seem to have much to it yet. I may stick this there. It didn't exist last time I went looking for a wiki.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: March 28, 2011, 07:36:18 pm »

Yeah, I asked a friend to make it a few weeks ago.
*Hugs*

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: March 28, 2011, 07:45:45 pm »

Unormal, bug: After leveling up Carapace from level 3 to 4 I get -9 DV. My carapace is not tightened, but when it is I get -19 DV.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: March 28, 2011, 08:08:13 pm »

Unormal, bug: After leveling up Carapace from level 3 to 4 I get -9 DV. My carapace is not tightened, but when it is I get -19 DV.

Did you put on any armor? DV can go negative, if that's the issue. If it suddenly jumped, then idk. :P
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: March 28, 2011, 08:13:03 pm »

Did you put on any armor? DV can go negative, if that's the issue. If it suddenly jumped, then idk. :P
You can't put on any armor with a Carapace mutation. Though Carapace does give DV penalties, but never more than -6, which is at level 1. And I don't have anything that would give me such a high (~-9 or so) DV penalty (my natural DV canceled out Carapace's DV penalty last time I checked). So this is no doubt a bug.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: March 28, 2011, 08:20:45 pm »

Frick. Finally find a regenera injector, which previous 4 games were all double nano material, this one is just a photonic and a scrap electronics. Need Pristine Electronics and/or nano material to make either a force bracelet or a nullray pistol. BAH.

Edit: Bug: Killed one of those amoeba things, the ones that die and leave a big slime pool, on the underground river right at the edge. I was going back and forth, and my latest back and forth seems to have made me invisible in a wall somewhere. There may have been extra ice around, since I've been spamming freezing hands liberally, but can't tell, since none of my lightsources work.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:03:40 am by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: March 29, 2011, 12:08:53 am »

So I find the artifact guy class very difficult to play early game, how do I make him more viable, right now I am dumping stats into clubkind
Thank you based dwarf.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: March 29, 2011, 12:22:21 am »

If your playing a mutant tinkerer, I've had a VERY good run so far with Wings, Freezing hands, Sleep Gas, Photo Skin, and Analgesia. 24 ego and int, 14 toughness, started as a tinkerer. Give two artifacts to argyve right away to get another level, put the point into freezing hands. Then just wander about locally, using freezing hands on every flying critter you come across, and freezing hands + wings to kill ground bound mobs without getting hit. Split your points on level up between freezing hands and wings, don't go underground for anything, since that negates your flight, and once you hit about level 6-7, you can probably kite Equimax's to death for massive xp. Just be careful, any neutral flying enemy will attack you if you attack an equimax on the same map as it, so it pays to wander around and snipe all the little flyers first.

Hoard everything. Fight until you can't carry anything else, then drop it all next to arygve. With massive ego, you can get great deals for everything, even a bronze dagger is worth like 2 drams.

Oh, for purposes of value, I have 26 ego + snake oiler + a knollworm skull, for 31 effective while trading, and a Qudzu stem is 11.90 from Arygve, and I sell it to him for 8.40. Still haven't gotten ego injector data disc so I can't see what more ego results in. I think I might be close to the ego singularity though.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: March 29, 2011, 01:49:16 am »

What I am not doing this as mutant, I only play TRUE MAN!
Thank you based dwarf.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: March 29, 2011, 01:52:51 am »

Ah. Then use the stun rod that you start with to beat on things, and check all your equipment to see what you have. You might have started with something nice like a force bracelet. Otherwise, play it carefully, and use your superior equipment to your advantage.

Edit: I just cobbled up a grenade launcher for myself. It basically turns your explosives into rocket ammo. No clue if its accurate or not, I somewhat doubt its accuracy, but launching acid grenades across the map sounds like a fun time.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:23:53 am by beorn080 »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: March 29, 2011, 02:48:18 am »

Sell Price= Base sell price*(1+.2*ego modifier)
Buy Price=Base buy price*(5/(5+Ego Modifier)
OR
Sell Price/(1+2*ego modifier)=Base sell price
Buy Price/5*(5+ego modifier)=Base buy price

With a little bit of calculation, you can figure out he base sell/buy price no matter what your ego (although you might be off by a cent or two depending on how small the price is).
Base sell price=amount you can sell for at 0 ego modifier
Base buy price=price at 0 ego modifier

Some random facts:
Your ego score has no effect, only your ego modifier matters.

Difference in sell buy ratio at -4 (9 ego, the minimum possible):25 (you sell goods for 1/5 and buy them for 5 times base)
Difference in sell buy ratio at -3 (10/11 ego, what any mutant who puts no points in gets) from 0:6.25
Difference in sell buy ratio at 5 (25/26 ego):1/4 (you sell goods for 2 times and buy for 1/2 times)
The maximum sell price seems to go up to 19/7 base price (it could vary with other items).
The minimum buy price seems to go down to 7/19 base price (it could vary with other items).
Ego bonus caps out at 9 ego modifier (or 34 ego, for which the bonuses are actually capped somewhere around 8.5 ego (in that it doesn't use the formulas)).

Disclaimer: I only tested this out using on item (datadisk), with one merchant (Argyve), but i see no reason it wouldn't apply equally well to all items from all merchants.

If your playing a mutant tinkerer, I've had a VERY good run so far with Wings, Freezing hands, Sleep Gas, Photo Skin, and Analgesia. 24 ego and int, 14 toughness, started as a tinkerer. Give two artifacts to argyve right away to get another level, put the point into freezing hands. Then just wander about locally, using freezing hands on every flying critter you come across, and freezing hands + wings to kill ground bound mobs without getting hit. Split your points on level up between freezing hands and wings, don't go underground for anything, since that negates your flight, and once you hit about level 6-7, you can probably kite Equimax's to death for massive xp. Just be careful, any neutral flying enemy will attack you if you attack an equimax on the same map as it, so it pays to wander around and snipe all the little flyers first.
Seems to me that the 24 ego is kinda pointless. The only reason that i could see starting with such a high ego is for a mental mutant, but if you are just going to sell and buy stuff with it, you should be raking in more then enough money at lower ego (20 should be enough), not to justify getting the bonus.
For mental mutants yeah, the +2 levels for each mental mutation is pretty strong, and definitley justifies it. But you could have used 8 of the attribute points to make your dude much better then trading returns.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: March 29, 2011, 03:06:17 am »

Honestly, the high ego is a big boon. The only thing I could really have used was more toughness, but with an Issachari sun veil I can soak fire ants at level 16 and only go down to fine. Next level I'm picking up Inspiring Presense, and in a few more gonna take a random mutation and hope for something fun. Domination + tinkering + vine farmers could be a fun combo. Were it not for the high ego though, a lot of the stuff I've bought would have been out of reach. Data disc base price is extremely high, so a +1 difference adds up to like 50 drams of water difference.

The other reason I've been using high ego is cause I used the genius mutation.

Edit: I just proselytized a novice of the sightless way. Yay for allied Sunder Mind.

Edit2: Might be a minor bug, might just be absolute luck, but I found a chest with four floating glowspheres. Was in a lair of a unique Dawnglider in the salt flats to the west of Joppa.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:21:31 am by beorn080 »
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 250