Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 569673 times)

magellan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2010, 04:36:42 pm »

A month or so ago, I thought "You know what would be cool, a post apocalyptic roguelike?" Started coding a bit, and was dead set to have vera lynn: we'll meet again as starting screen background music.
But looks like this niche is now in better hands. :)
Congratulations!
Prospector, my space exploration roguelike:
http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2010, 05:00:13 pm »

A month or so ago, I thought "You know what would be cool, a post apocalyptic roguelike?" Started coding a bit, and was dead set to have vera lynn: we'll meet again as starting screen background music.
But looks like this niche is now in better hands. :)
Congratulations!

Thanks! I really like prospector, great concept. The other idea for a roguelike that I was considering was a space exploration game (ala starflight, planet's edge, etc), but you had it covered ;)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2010, 06:17:33 pm »

As fun as the game is, I really have to compliment the writing and setting. It's totally alien, and yet hauntingly familiar at times. The use of mostly unique creatures and the use of fresh water as currency is all very immersive and welcoming-- we have already far too many Roguelikes with Warrior/Rogue/Thief, and kobolds and goblins. I can't wait to see it develop even further.

In short, this is really good!

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2010, 06:52:55 pm »

God dammit, this game has crashed 3 times, and I have yet to even move around. One crash before the game even finished firing up, one crash during char generation, and yet another crash just after char generation. GRRRR

Edit: Jesus fucking christ, I have tried all 3 binarys that the game has supplied, and I cannot get past char generation without some kind of crash, what in the shit is going on. :(
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:59:52 pm by Grishnak »
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2010, 07:02:40 pm »

God dammit, this game has crashed 3 times, and I have yet to even move around. One crash before the game even finished firing up, one crash during char generation, and yet another crash just after char generation. GRRRR

Edit: Jesus fucking christ, I have tried all 3 binarys that the game has supplied, and I cannot get past char generation without some kind of crash, what in the shit is going on. :(

What is the crash? There's no exception text?

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2010, 07:26:51 pm »

Its different every time, 2 of the crashes had no error messages, just the application completely crashed.
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2010, 11:01:46 pm »

The people asking about shopkeepers restocking.. Yes they do restock, I don't understand why you would kill argyle for his stuff... you can easily buy out his shop with like two crocodile corpses.  Getting that is sooo easy.  Anyways, I restarted my praetorian and started with a vibroblade worth 800 and a SOLAR cell.  Awessommee.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2010, 01:11:05 am »

Thanks for the tip, but it seems nobody actually has enough money to buy a single corpse off me :P
AND IT'S 200 DAMN POUNDS

Btw nice, i started with a vibro dagger with a <low> chem cell in it :P
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2010, 01:23:39 am »

Well you should really be using those corpses to trade for useful things.  I always buy all shotgun/lead ammo/artifacts/nades... then I buy out whatever else is relevant (in my case, tinkering stuff).  Any left over you use to buy nuggets.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2010, 01:31:49 am »

Okay I'm trying the game out now, but the aspect ratio/screen size is wonky and makes the ascii look like shit. Is there a way to run the game so that it makes the tiles their native size, or something?

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2010, 01:37:21 am »

Okay I'm trying the game out now, but the aspect ratio/screen size is wonky and makes the ascii look like shit. Is there a way to run the game so that it makes the tiles their native size, or something?

Hit escape in game and select 'r' to reset your aspect ratio. Also try the "-filter" command line parameter.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2010, 01:39:53 am »

Hit escape in game and select 'r' to reset your aspect ratio. Also try the "-filter" command line parameter.

I've been trying to do that, but that just makes the window adjust its height. It doesn' make the whole window adjust to make the 10x12 tiles actually 10x12

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by command line. if you mean make a shortcut and add that, it doesn't do anything.

EDIT: oh yes, I hit a button (dunno which one) and it removed the fog of war or something and that seems to be cheating, but I can't get it back to normal. wtf? (it was one of the logitech G15 buttons)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 01:42:32 am by OzyTheSage »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2010, 01:42:48 am »

Whoo, beat me to it. EDIT: Except not. Are you running the stuff from the .exe or the .zip, Ozy? Running right off th'zip's XRL.exe doesn't seem to be giving me trouble, so it might help if the .exe's installation method is making something go wonky.

If you're here, unormal, have you considered putting up an announcement/page on roguebasin or dropping a line at the roguetemple forums? Might get some more playtesters on board.

Also, I got this bug doing silly things with a 100+ level character, after gaining a junkload of skills. Dunno if it'll help, but what the error message spat out is in the spoiler.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Oz, hit F9. Either that, or scroll down to the bottom of the keybindings (esc->k) and change Explore-somethingZone to whatever's more comfortable. Terribly helpful for finding that bloody glowpod(pad? Bah.) merchant.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 01:46:51 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2010, 01:50:03 am »

I'm using the thing that came with the zip, it starts off all dumb and shitty so I don't know what they were thinking when they programmed in the wrong window size. Is there a way to type in the window size value thingy somewhere? that would be awesome.

So, that F9 thing isn't cheating?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2010, 01:53:50 am »

No, it's definitely cheating :P

The swamps hurt my eyes, though, so I don't let it bother me. Technically, the bigger cheat I'm running is the 'indicate overland encounters on the main map' debug option, which is just awesome. I can hunt down caves/ruins/neat junk without having to spend 2-3 hundred megs of zone creation in the process.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dunno about the window-size whatsit. Maybe try the installer, since other posts seem to indicate it comes with a few shortcuts or something that might help out. I'unno, wish I could help yeh more, but it's not giving me any trouble (insofar as looks go. Plenty of crashes and game-stopping bugs :-\).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 01:55:46 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 250