Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570018 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1095 on: March 19, 2011, 06:20:00 pm »

A wiki would be useful, with an organized bug list and and readouts of all the mutations and such.

Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 19, 2011, 06:29:56 pm »

Btw, small annoying bugs:

Your friendly beguiled pets get angry at fire. They don't complain about any powers, but if you have spontaneous combustion or catches on fire accidentally, they get pissy and start hitting you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: March 19, 2011, 06:31:57 pm »

Has there been a wiki created for this yet?
I don't think so.
A wiki would be useful, with an organized bug list and and readouts of all the mutations and such.

Well, it's not the type of wiki you all are talking about, but I wrote up the beginings of a Caves Of Qud TvTropes page.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 19, 2011, 06:38:23 pm »

Bluh can't edit the page D:

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: March 19, 2011, 06:39:26 pm »

I officially canceled my editorial status of the page, try again.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: March 19, 2011, 06:41:01 pm »

'kay. Added Roguelike as trope and am thinking for some others. Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough about the game D:

Does it still count as an obvious Beta?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 06:43:17 pm by Darvi »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: March 19, 2011, 07:03:27 pm »

Some tropes that should be on there:
Monsters Everywhere.
Trial And Error Gameplay.
Random Number God.
Yet Another Stupid Death.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: March 19, 2011, 07:07:02 pm »

'kay.

Also moved Goddamn Bats to YMMV.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: March 19, 2011, 08:33:43 pm »

You may have wanted to ask the dev if he wanted a page on tvtropes. There is a significant difference between posting the game on some tech savvy forums for bug busting, and making a TvTropes page for it. I'll grant that it IS an open beta, but it's his choice, especially since its a beta.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 19, 2011, 08:35:12 pm »

It'll gain popularity from being on TvTropes. What possible harm could come from that? If unormal doesn't want it there, I'll delete all trace it ever was on the site, but I don't see how there could be a problem.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 08:38:32 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: March 19, 2011, 08:57:39 pm »

Moving back to the game itself, I believe I found a sweet spot for grinding, provided you can make it there. The rivers south of the ruins are home to extremely nasty monsters call madpoles. They love to swarm, hit hard, and disembowelg you pretty fast. My first encounter consisted of me entering a water tile via world map, only to find myself surrounded by the little bastards and becoming dismembered in seconds.

There's a wonderful catch though; madpoles can not walk on land; so all you need to do is run the range with a decent ranged weapon, wandering near the shore to draw the madpoles near, stepping back when they close in, and then fill them full of holes; they are amazingly weak and go down in a few shots. I'm currently level 20 and earning 270 XP per madpole, so just imagine the XP you would get on lower levels.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1106 on: March 19, 2011, 09:00:11 pm »

You may have wanted to ask the dev if he wanted a page on tvtropes. There is a significant difference between posting the game on some tech savvy forums for bug busting, and making a TvTropes page for it. I'll grant that it IS an open beta, but it's his choice, especially since its a beta.
The author of the game has no say over whether someone posts a page about his game on any other website unless they are including copyrighted information or somehow infringing his legal rights. This is neither, so even if he doesn't want it he cannot do anything about it beyond writing tvtropes and asking them to remove it which I seriously doubt would happen without a better reason than "I don't like it".

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 19, 2011, 09:23:08 pm »

The author of the game has no say over whether someone posts a page about his game on any other website unless they are including copyrighted information or somehow infringing his legal rights. This is neither, so even if he doesn't want it he cannot do anything about it beyond writing tvtropes and asking them to remove it which I seriously doubt would happen without a better reason than "I don't like it".
I never said he had a right to force TvTropes to pull the page. What I said was that, since this is a CLEAR beta game, perhaps the author would appreciate not getting massive hype for it and having people play and judge it before its ready, or perhaps he does. I don't know. I just thought it might be nice to ask him first, since he is letting us play it and test it for him.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: March 19, 2011, 09:24:30 pm »

There is no such thing as notability.

Also, DF itself is only Alpha and also has a page so...

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: March 19, 2011, 10:02:55 pm »

There is no such thing as notability.

Also, DF itself is only Alpha and also has a page so...

Its DF. Its more complicated than every game every made combined
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 250