Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: 16 New Domestic Animals, eh?  (Read 10459 times)

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 16 New Domestic Animals, eh?
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2010, 09:50:03 am »

Glad I not the only one main start would be just to have red and white wines!  hmmmm off to do some modding maybe!
I can't really imagine that Plump Helmet Wine would be red or white. It may just be some very weird color. Like purple! After all, plump helmets are usually portrayed as purple.
Since we don't know the process of making wine from mushrooms, we can't really say what color it would be. But it's pretty unlikely that it'll be red or white.

If Plump Helmets are purple on the surface / outside only, and a typical mushroom whitish / cream on the inside, it is logical that there would be "white" wine produced without the outer layer, and "purple" wine produced with it.  Of course, the "purple" might well be some other color after the brewing process, but if the chemistry is reasonably Earth-like it's likely to be somewhere in the red-purple-blue spectrum. 

Another thought... if Plump Helmets are purple due to anthocyanins, which would be likely, then the color of the final beverage could be adjusted by Ph-affecting processes or additives.  Generally, acidic changes will shift toward red, basic changes will shift toward blue.  The wiki article on Polyphenols in wine is a good starting point for ideas. 

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2010, 10:18:20 am »

Well thats all getting pretty complicated  ???

I just modded in some red and white grapes testing now  :)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2010, 11:27:18 am »

Actually genetics for plants would work here nice. Making white/red/rose whine could be one and the same Plant template with colour and sugar contents ás traits. The distribution of certain plants and theyr subtypes (Red/White grapes) might be a problem though.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2010, 11:31:33 am »

Yeah distribution of plants is a tricky one playing with all the biome tags at the moment with my ciders but I think plants could do with more variety in the same way animals are getting more!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2010, 12:06:03 pm »

They are getting more variety. There's supposed to be some new kinds of plants with new uses in the next release.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2010, 12:22:11 pm »

I think better-differentiated animals would do more than greater number of animals (although new features like eggs and feathers and wool obviously help and are great). For instance, I'd like to see a day when dogs actually bite hard(er than dwarves), cats are stealthy, elk run fast, elephants can actually stomp on small animals successfully, and so forth.

Of course, leave it to me to be the contrarian. I think the new features do go a long way, and will be amused when some dwarf tries to use wool fiber to sew up a surgical wound.

Regarding plump helmet wine: It's hard to consider this realistically in the first place, since we don't know what plump helmets are. If they're starchy, calling it "wine" is a little odd (about the same as calling sake "rice wine", I guess) since "wines" are normally drinks fermented using the natural sugars present in the fruit.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2010, 12:33:34 pm »

Starch is a kind of sugar you would just need the right bateria or plant enzymes to break up the starch molecules into better digestible sugars. For potatos which are really starchy you can use Malt for said enzymes. Since we dont know if the Plumphelmet already have that enzymes so i cant say if it can ferment by itself. On the other hand it might be some kind of storage mechanism for hard times. 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2010, 12:58:57 pm »

aren't plump helmets some sort of mushroom? (Which would make them... proteiny?)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2010, 01:18:37 pm »

Ok some web research just revealed that (some?) fungy produce natural alcohols just by themselfs  :o . This is done for aid the digestion of biological matter as well as killing bacteria.

Let me quote wikipedia on that:

They have a characteristic range of soluble carbohydrates and storage compounds, including sugar alcohols (e.g., mannitol), disaccharides, (e.g., trehalose), and polysaccharides

edit: No starchy fungy found yet.

edit2: ok instead of starch Fungy use Glykogen as storage for Carbohydrates - just like animals.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 01:36:22 pm by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2010, 04:58:56 pm »

So one could argue that plump helmets produce ethanol, or some other alcohol drinkable by dwarfs (With there significatly larger liver, they might be able to process things humans and elves can't) and rather then brewing them, they are, for lack of a better word, juiced.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2010, 05:52:08 pm »

What many of you forget is that if Toady does something, he does it right. We know we'll get sheep, but only one kind of sheep? Probably not, seeing as there are quite a number of different sheep out there. He didn't put in a generic "small fish", so why should he put in a generic sheep? Same with chickens and pigs, really.
Just because he'll introduce 16 new domestic animals doesn't mean that they are all radically different.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sheep_breeds

DF v1.0 will have ALL OF THEM.

Have you checked into breeds of chicken lately?  There are some of them that look like they have ungus growing on their heads.  Some have antlers or horns.  Some of them look like they exploded.  And I do mean exploded.  Some even have fancy hairdos.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 05:57:44 pm by Draco18s »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2010, 06:04:53 pm »

Well i guess we get at some point a more expanded genetics systems for the raws so that the dwarfs start to create theyr own breeds. I mean heck many players do that right now by butchering all skinny pets they have, so they get very fat and strong lineages. Personally i did kill horses so i get a more uniform breed.

Proud to be a Furry.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2010, 06:09:54 pm »

Ok some web research just revealed that (some?) fungy produce natural alcohols just by themselfs  :o . This is done for aid the digestion of biological matter as well as killing bacteria.

Let me quote wikipedia on that:

They have a characteristic range of soluble carbohydrates and storage compounds, including sugar alcohols (e.g., mannitol), disaccharides, (e.g., trehalose), and polysaccharides

"Sugar alcohols" have almost nothing to do with ethanol.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2010, 06:32:12 pm »

Apart from the fact that you can convert certain sugers to ethanol... Well you can't, but they can.

*Dramatic music*
The yeasts, are comming.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2010, 06:43:58 pm »

Ok then i misunderstood something there but it wasnt the only source i encountered. This article from 2007 that describes a fungus that produces alcohol more efficiently then yeast.

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8