Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Let's discover the New World - Sid Meier's Colonization  (Read 8582 times)

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's discover the New World - Sid Meier's Colonization
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 11:53:23 am »

What's wrong with the French ? I am French, so they necessarily are the best ! Seriously, I have played this game a few times and it seems that starting advantages are negligible (except for the dutch, because starting with a merchantman instead of a caravel is just that good). With the French I really like the hardy pioneer you always start with, it makes plowing fields that much faster really, which means I can start very fast.

I don't know if the game can be hacked to play with the natives however.

I am in average difficulty (conquistador I think, the one in the middle) ; but I have a lucky start, with a prime tobacco field, and two indian capitals next to me, with one of them training master tobacco planters (and I believe the other one train master farmers). With a master tobacco planter on a plowed prime tobacco field, I think Charleroi makes around 22 tobacco per turn, which is quite a lot.

I played a lot yesterday, but my game crashed so I have to start all over again ! So update will be late in the evening I think. Thank you for following my let's play !

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 03:24:35 pm »

Nice! BTW, it's funny you called your first colony Charleroi, as the real-life Charleroi is a shithole worse than Detroit, with unemployment so high it make more sense to count employment rate instead and crime so common that the head of the Belgian police once described it as "The best place for a new policeman to get training: in a couple of years he'll know everything there is to know about crime".

I hope this one will turn out better.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 02:14:49 pm »

Nice! Keep it going.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 09:50:02 am »

Isn't playing as the natives one of the hardcoded cheat codes?

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 02:21:57 pm »

II. EXPANDING ALONG THE COAST

An de grâce 1503. Truly the people of Charleroi are blessed ! Their climate is gentle, their lands are fertile, their harvests are abundants and their tobacco sells well ! The natives that surround them are friendly and eager to help. They teached Europeans the planting and the uses of tobacco ; they offer tanned hides and moutain's ores as gift of friendship ; they guide them through those uncharted lands ; and they can pay even more than La Rochelle's merchants for what Charleroi have to offer, although their needs are smaller. Understandably, the frenchmen value their friendship with the natives greatly.

Far from their king and their motherland, the settlers organized themselves some sort of council in the communal house of their little village, for better direction of local disputes and issues. This basic form of society was reinforced by the ideas of Huguenot newcomers seeking to live their religion under a more peaceful sky. In this council one man stood aside by his wisdom and his cunning ways : he was named Peter Minuit. He bargained the use of the land with the Iroquois and the knowledge of the rivers and the local crops with the Cherokees, each time with great benefit for the French while still keeping his allies quite content. It is widely believed that without his influence Charleroi would not have fared nearly as well.

Over the years France's colonies greatly prospered on the coast of Saint-Louis.

Many colonists from various origins and extractions came from europe to settle into the new world, led by a man named William Penn.

Lewis and Clark's expedition was set to explore the inlands.

Missions were founded in the native's villages.

Charleroi bloomed into a full city, with the construction of a church.

Desiring a share of the profits the King ordered a special tax to be collected from the trade the settlers do with Europe.

The shores were mapped more thoroughly ; Sainte-Sourire was built ; Spanish settlements were sighted north. And eventually French colons discovered a Spanish city named Isabella.

This first encounter was unlikely to be a pacific one, and indeed it wasn't. France disliked to see it's rivals settle into the new world as well ; the french men in Charleroi viewed Saint-Louis as rightfully theirs ; and Spain was at war with the Iroquois tribe. Using another skirmish between the spaniards and the natives as a justification, France bought artillery and sieged Isabella for a tribute ; and once that tribute was paid, canons opened fire on the Spanish wooden houses. The battle was quick and predictable : Isabella was sacked and burned to the ground. With the benefits of the plunder a gallion was purchased. France's domination over the New Land was now assured for decades to come.

(edit : added title and cleaned up tidbits.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:21:29 pm by Ancre »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 02:25:50 pm »

Awesome!  Let's take those Spanish bastards down!
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 02:31:02 pm »

I don't know if it was the names or the title that caught my attention, but I'm glad something did.  I haven't been in the LP section in ages.  The reason it piqued my interest is that well before there even was an LP section, I thought I was pretty cool.

Good luck to you Ancre, and I'll probably drop in to watch too.  Don't think you're not unique or anything, the great thing about 4Xs is it's always a new game anyway.  And I was only playing on Medium difficulty.  Long Live Sid Meier's Early Career!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 02:35:50 pm »

Wasn't that more trouble than it's worth? Are you like at war with the Spanish now?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 02:53:39 pm »

First part of the update done ! Next one will be on Lewis and Clark's expedition to the inlands, with the discovery and description of many strange civilizations and many stunning landscapes. After that I think I'll have caught up to where I play. I forgot to mention the creation of Guadeloupe, which is a fairly recent city, and is kind of a rat's hole at the moment, it's main reason to exist is to be a halt between Sainte-Sourire and Charleroi. I will probably develop it into a bell and cross making city because really I'd like to have one and it's not like there's something else to do there.

Next developments will be a tool producing city (which will use that wonderful tile of prime ore + running river that you can see in the fifth picture) and general buildings everywhere else (lumber mills, printing presses, schools) and eventually expansion to the south because I want WAR with Europeans !

Tell me what you think of it so far ! Is my english good, or is is boring as hell to read ? Should I take more pictures ? Write more text ? Writing a LP is fun to do, even if a little difficult !

@ Iituem, thank you for the response ! You read fast ! I really acted like a bastard with the spanish, they actually begged me for their survival, giving me 1000 in gold for this, which I took, only to attack them next turn. Oh my do I feel evil for doing this. Finding other Europeans early is great ; trade enough for a cannon, and BAM instant money and colonies you can grow or plunder for your advantage, because the AI don't have any sort of proper defenses yet (and neither do I actually).

@ Glacies, I don't think so, or at least the only hardcoded cheats I know are theses : http://www.colonizationfans.com/Cheats.html

@ Dwarf : thank you :)

@ Sheb : there is a real Charleroi ? Well that's not that big a surprise, it's kind of an easy name to create, since it means literally Charles-King in French, and is built in a way that sounds like what older French-speaking folks would do to name a city. And also, what's wrong with the world ? :D Belgium is supposed to be a nice and happy country with people eating french fries and drinking beer and bickering about seceding from each other like an old couple !

@ Aqizzar : thank you for reading my LP ! I am going to read your link now ! I am in medium difficulty too, I think now is the time where I will have troubles, because I really am a newbie when it comes to developing cities. Hopefully it won't be too hard. Edit ; also, what's a 4X ?

@ Dwarf : Well, no, in fact it wasn't ! I get to keep the artillery, and I really pushed the Spanish away (I think they're on a tiny island north now, harassed by indians) which means they're not a menace, and if I play well they will never grow back to be one. Plus, lots of loot from the pillaging !

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 04:07:53 pm »

Nice job! The other Europeans are really annoying unless you kill them early. Also this will explain what a 4x game is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 04:11:48 pm »

I know I'm enjoyin the LP so far, and your english is fine. Hell it's better than mine, and I'm a native speaker.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 07:15:17 pm »

Your writing to picture ratio is pretty good, the pictures definitely help me understand what's going on.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 11:14:39 pm »

I love this game. Keep it up!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 12:29:04 pm »

Yup, I'm a belgian french-speaker, so I know that. It's just funny that you choose Belgium's rathole as your capital. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 07:58:40 am »

III. THE LEWIS AND CLARK EXPEDITION THROUGHOUT THE NEW WORLD

Shortly after their arrival on Saint-Louis' shores the Frenchmen begun explorating the inlands. At first it was only minor scouting, that mainly consisted in mapping attempts of Charleroi's surroundings and of the newly discovered coasts - the precarity of their early settlements prevented expeditions of greater measures. It is after the conquest of Isabella and the routing of Spain out of Saint-Louis' main landmass that the French grew enough assurance to plan a serious exploration of their New World.

At the time of Lewis and clark's expedition, Charleroi was a strong city, Sainte-Sourire had been built, and relations with the natives couldn't be better. Their help proved unvaluable, acting as scouts, delivering precious information or giving refuge to the tired explorers. Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, along with their men, traveled Westward through the northern forests, then South-East towards the plains and the great rivers where the Cherokees live, then West again in the desert, where they found the Pacific.

They brought with them many horses, trinkets and trade goods, indians guides, landscape painters, and one geologist. Lewis and Clark's explorations were well prepared and very ambitious for their time, and brought back the very first maps of the New World, as well as countless stories and myths that excited Europeans' curiosity for many decades to come.

THE IROQUOIS

The very first step of their travel was the Iroquois' capital city, north of Charleroi, which greeted them with benevolent curiosity and great interest. The Europeans lived for a time among the natives, discovering their culture and their language, many times surprised by what they saw. They took many notes and painted many scenes ; here is what Lewis diary of the expedition relates :

« The Iroquois, or Haudenosaunee as they call themselves, are a very strange people. They live in long wooden houses three to four time longer than they are wider ; these houses often contain more than one family inside them, separated by walls, with a wide hallway in the middle, where the natives make the fires. These houses are very tall and their doors are very low.

« These people are only one member of a federation of native tribes, bound together by a law they call "Gayanashagowa" which means "Great Law of Peace" or "Great Law of Unity" if I understood it well. It is a law transmitted by means of voice and memory, not by writing as we are accustomed to ; and their law is peculiar indeed. Each tribe decides for herself, and they make their decisions in common ; there is no king among them, and it is the women who makes the decisions here. The Iroquois say their law was conceived by a great prophet (or "shaman" as they call it) named Deganwidah, and was spread and finally accepted by the many tribes of the Iroquois Confederacy thanks to his spokesman Hiawatha. Me and Clark managed to wrote a fair sample of them, and I hope such curiosity will interest the educated among Charleroi and Europe ; there is much to learn about the Iroquois and their customs, and we can only stay in their village for so long.

« The village chief indicated to me the different tribes of his Confederacy and where they reside. The five tribes of the Iroquois people name themselves the Guyohkonhyo, the Kanienkehaka, the Oneidas, the Onondagas, and the Tsonnontouans ; we settled on meeting the Iroquois residing in the forests of the north, then moving westward toward the other tribes. The local chief gave us shells and other tokens of friendship to prove to the other tribes that we are not ennemies of their nation ; this is a very reassuring gesture and I am glad we are not alone in these unknown lands. Our expedition start well.

« The Kanienkehaka tribe were pleasantly surprised at our arrival by our marks of friendship and peace. The only Europeans they knew were the Spanish, with whom they were at war, and our scouts told them tales about the plunder of Isabella, which the elders of the village completed by stories about the Spanish's cruelty. With the ending of Spanish raids and with our friendship with the southern Iroquois, we had no incidents to report during our stay in their longhouses. At our departure the chief gave us precious pearls and treasures plundered from the spanish to bring back to our leader as sign of peace. We then went our way westward as planned.

« We travelled through miles and miles of cold forests and wild landscapes. We charted a group of lakes, truly great by their size, to the point where they looked more as a small inland sea to us, if it wasn't for the freshwater. Many Iroquois villages settled themselves along their coasts and we visited a fair number of them. I can now safely say the Iroquois nation is in peace with the French, and that we can count them as friends if hardships arises - they saved our expedition from certain failure twice by now.

THE SIOUX

« Eventually we had to leave the lands our Iroquois allies occupied to go visit places even them did not knew very well. We went west once again, and west of the great lakes the forests cleared to leave place for great plains and prairies, and west again on the horizon we could see a great mountain range, going from north to south and blocking the way.

« These plains are home to another tribe of red-skinned men living in circular tents and adorning themselves with feathers taken from birds of prey. Our native guides call them "Sioux" and they call themselves "Oceti sakowin oyate" which roughly translate as "the people of the seven fires" in reference to their mythical seven original tribes. They were not too pleased to see Iroquois within our ranks it seemed, but they welcomed us nonetheless, as our group was mainly pacific foreigners to them. (I believe our many presents helped too.)

« We stayed in their settlement for a while, presenting them the French civilisation on the eastern shores, as well as the goal of our expedition, while they presented us their tribe and their culture in exchange. We had the luxury of drawing plenty of their houses and their costumes as well as taking notes about the stories their elders shared, stories about their people and their lands. I hope this will be of interest to the people of Charleroi. From what we gathered the Sioux are still quite a primitive people, far from the level of progress attained by the Iroquois ; fixed localisations only appeared recently in their culture and they still have a semi-nomadic way of life.

« We signed a peace treaty with the Sioux on behalf of the people of Saint-Louis, which is not an important achievement considering how far we are from home now. The distance between our two people is simply too great, and the lands too wild, for trade or any other activities. In fact, I seriously think we are not to meet the sioux anymore unless we actively search to make contact once again.

THE APACHES

« Our expedition went north, trying to walk around the mountains, until we were stopped by the cold ; we then went south again, leaving forests and plains for gentler prairies and grasslands, the mountain range still blocking our way west. I feel we've encountered a major geological feature here, our geologist seems very excited, but the rest of us are growing tired of this long walk. We must find a way to cross these mountains, else I believe my men will become weary of this expedition and leave. It does feel like we've been walking in circles for a long time trying to get around these mountains.

« The gentler climate helps keeping the spirits up however. Here live the "apaches" people, as our guides calls them. They are the least advanced natives we've met, not even a unified people but only a loose alliance of different tribes. They don't share the same language, they live as hunter-gatherers and occasionnaly thieve their neighbors, but they do seem to have a common culture - their danses are fascinating. I am happy to say we haven't had any incident with them yet, as their curiosity and our generous showering of trinklets and other gifts kept them away from raiding us.

« We made contact with many different tribes as we needed shelter and supplies during our travel ; we taught them rudiments of our language, our culture and our religion. They taught us their in exchange and we left each tribe with a peace treaty, which like the sioux's doesn't mean much considering their political backwardness and the distance between our two countries. Nonetheless we visited each major tribe and made peace with each of them ; in the end I can safely say the french are friends of the Apaches in general, even if this is unlikely to be of any benefit to either of us.

« Here are the last maps our painter drew, complete with annotations of other possible civilisations and geographic deductions from natives' tales. The first one is of the lands of the sioux.

« The second one is of the lands of the apaches.

« There is a lot of talk about a great native civilisation in the south, on par with small european nations, which would be an amazing discovery if it revealed itself to be more than mere legends. I feel we're also going to have to cross these mountains rather than go around ; however I wonder how will my men take this decision. »
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 08:21:21 am by Ancre »
Pages: 1 [2] 3