Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What do your engravers love to engrave?  (Read 2341 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do your engravers love to engrave?
« on: December 17, 2010, 03:21:31 am »

Mine seem obsessed with...

Some human who killed some elf.
Some hydra that killed some human
Our civ symbol
A maple tree ( ??? )
A diety of birth and pregnacy a MALE dwarf. ( :-\ )

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
Re: What do your engravers love to engrave?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 03:31:40 am »

Struslot Axesizzled. A human who once journeyed into the mountains where my main biome is and tamed some giant eagles there.

They LOVE him.

Also are fond of the dwarves who abandoned my old fortress site that wasn't too far from my current one. Even tho that one only was about a month before I abandoned due to flooding, but my engravers still engrave them fleeing into the Cradled Spine (the mountain range I am in) all the time.

After that, the next most common thing they like is Meng Glinteye, the Fungi of Attacks, my Legendary-est axedorf slaughtering whatever he slaughtered this week.

After Meng in popularity is whatever random elevations/removals of nobles/positions happened in the fort over the years.

And then just random crap like buckets, dorf surrounded by fire snakes, cows, etc.

Sadly, the giant eagles in question never show up for me. Would love to tame them myself.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 03:41:47 am »

Some elf getting killed by some monster.
Some human's trip to the underworld.
Some monster's trip to some overground region.

RustyTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 03:45:01 am »

After that, the next most common thing they like is Meng Glinteye, the Fungi of Attacks, my Legendary-est axedorf slaughtering whatever he slaughtered this week.

Better watch out for Meng the Merciless I suppose.

Usually my dorfs carve symbols of all the dwarven governments everywhere. Even the dead ones. Also one or two engravings of elves getting their eyelids bitten off.

High Tensegrity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 04:03:45 am »

If you don't have a very long history, it seems they'll tend to be obsessed with one or two past events early on.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 05:24:35 am »

A truly badass minotaur named Moslo, who, according to Legends Mode, has a kill count of 152, and is now lord and master of an abandoned superfortress I made named "Bookrecluses". They all fear Moslo.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 05:26:08 am »

Yeah I've noted that a few times.

This time I rolled 600 years of history, I also waited to begin engravings till after a hydra attack and first seige, and until main engraver reached legendary.

What I mainly get is dwarves travelling, dwarves founding then masses of engravings of me appointing and switching brokers when traders arrive during a party.

Oh...

And some dwarf somewhere being eaten by a Deep Crow, showed up like 20 times now and still no mention of my hydra :(
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 05:37:44 am »

The numerous kills of some bronze Colossus, Milol Battleclash the Renown of Danger, and also those of a savanna Titan, a giant and a cyclops. They killed mostly humans and elfs, must explain why the latter seem to be extinct.
Understandably, when that very colossus arrived to visit my fortress, I freaked out. (I had to savescum because the fight turned both way too silly and way too dangerous for my megaproject dwarfs. Now, I am waiting for a real confrontation)
Of course, another image they like a lot is the foundation of Windslap by the previous bunch of alcoholic midgets, and the appointment/rejections of all militia commanders I had.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 05:41:14 am »

I'm very lucky with my current fort. The theme seems to be a large battle between the local dwarves attacking some elves. Needless to say, the dwarves seemed to have won the battle in the glory of Armok. There are a lot of pictures of elves crying and dwarves striking things down.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 05:44:17 am »

Engravings, statues and figurines of the yetis Tameflower and Necroworthless can be found throughout my fortress. They usually depict one of them killing a random human.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 05:47:44 am »

I love the progression when a dwarf first starts engraving until he learns his trade. He usually starts with squares, circles and "thin crosses", and then proceeds to whatever the civilization image is, BEFORE heading into his particular passions. I find that to be one of the more endearing parts of DF, I suppose, and it makes me smile.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 06:17:37 am »

....and still no mention of my hydra :(

I know, right/ I have killed a bronze collossus, a hydra, and several forgotton beasts and have yet to see a statue or engraving of ANY of them.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 09:31:54 am »

My dwarves are currently obsessed with the human Icen Copperdrip and his third journey. Not his first, or his second, but his third. And to where, you might ask? I have no idea!

I'll have to check him out in Legends mode, I guess.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 12:03:40 pm »

If you don't have a very long history, it seems they'll tend to be obsessed with one or two past events early on.

Yeah, I usually have VERY short history, the most up to like 125 years.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 01:09:18 pm »

My current fort has 4100 years of history, and all my dwarves care about are the normal stuff (symbols, position changes, etc) and some elf who came into the region a few years before I settled there and tamed polar bears.
Pages: [1] 2 3