Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What materials should I make my golems from?(all non-ore and non-gem stones are here, so read before choosing)

Chalk
Chert
Claystone
Conglomerate
Dolomite
Limestone
Mudstone
Rock Salt
Sandstone
Shale
Siltstone
Diorite
Gabbro
Granite
Andesite
Basalt
Dactite
Obsidian
Rhyolite
Gneiss
Marble
Phyillite
Quartzite
Schist
Slate
Alabaster
Alunite
Anhydrite
Bauxite
Bituminous Coal
Borax
Brimstone
Calcite
Chromite
Cinnabar
Cobaltite
Cryolite
Graphite
Gypsum
Hornblende
Ilmenite
Jet
Kaolinite
Kimberlite
Lignite
Marcasite
Mica
Microcline
Olivine
Orpiment
Orthaclase
Periclase
Petrified wood
Pitchblende
Puddingstone
Pyrolusite
Realgar
Rutile
Saltpeter
Satinspar
Selenite
Serpentine
Stibnite
Sylvite
Talc

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: IT LIIIIIIVES!  (Read 3873 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: IT LIIIIIIVES!
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 06:32:51 am »

You know if he could get bones to work like this.....*bone golem*!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 07:10:46 am »

Obsidian - glass golems, anyone?
Marble - think an animated version of Michealneglos's David. As a dwarf.
Bituminous Coal - even more flammable than lignite! Also black, rather than brown.
Pitchblende - more because it's purple, but radioactivity is a bonus too.
Mica - it's a "golem" with perfect (basal) cleavage. ;)
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 07:29:13 am »

Why not make it out of cheese? I mean isn't that just sort of what you do?

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 08:57:16 am »

I'd make them out of wood, and specifically these woods:

Goblin Cap
Nether Cap
Black Cap
Fungiwood
Tunnel Tube

A few rare golems to be made from Tower Cap.

10 points and a cookie to anyone noticing a theme here.

These stones are just for the war beasts. I plan some woodcutters made of wood (maybe), as well as tiny hair-less kobolds for the haulers.( Based on minions from Overlord)

You know if he could get bones to work like this.....*bone golem*!
...let me dig around a bit. I probably can't, but if I can these will EASILY replace my kobold/minion/slave idea.

Make them out of liginite for !!Golems!!

YEAH YOU BETTER RUN YOU GREEN FUCKING BASTARDS, WE HAVE MOVING WALLS OF FIRE NOW. A VILE FORCE OF PANSIES HAS RETREATED!

Well, there based on Ironmen, so go look at those raws if you want an idea of how they are ending up.

and thank you to everyone who voted, with 65 types of stone I couldn't decide on just a handful.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:04:54 am by Exiledhero99 »
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 11:33:32 am »

Uranium Golem. Just mod in Uranium. Then, using the 'black lung' mod as an inspiration, mod in a radiation sickness. YOU KNOW THIS IS THE BEST IDEA EVER.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 12:17:41 pm »

Uranium Golem. Just mod in Uranium. Then, using the 'black lung' mod as an inspiration, mod in a radiation sickness. YOU KNOW THIS IS THE BEST IDEA EVER.

We already have uranium ore in the form of pitchblende: "Uraninite is a radioactive, uranium-rich mineral and ore with a chemical composition that is largely UO2, but also contains UO3 and oxides of lead, thorium, and rare earth elements. It is most commonly known as pitchblende."

I guess if you wanted pure military-grade uranium you could mod in a uranium enrichment workshop?

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 12:39:05 pm »

I don't care if it's not on the options.

MAKE THEM GRAPHITE.

In dwarf fortress, it ignites but never melts.

I see hilarious military implications.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 06:04:44 pm »

If you're basing them off of iron men, they'll be terrible. Iron men only have a thin shell of iron, and a soft fluid center. A thin shell of stone I expect will be highly fragile, since stone has abysmal tensile strength.

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 07:12:35 pm »

If you're basing them off of iron men, they'll be terrible. Iron men only have a thin shell of iron, and a soft fluid center. A thin shell of stone I expect will be highly fragile, since stone has abysmal tensile strength.

Thank you, I noticed the [RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1] tag in Iron Men, and thought that might be a problem. I'll test around until I find something between "invulnerable" and "collapse under it's own weight".

Edit: that also seems to be the tag on Bronze Colossus....so now the question is raised as to why Colossus are neigh invulnerable and iron men aren't?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 07:16:29 pm by Exiledhero99 »
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 07:20:35 pm »

When yout 50 meters tall, relative thickness is still relativly thick...

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 08:28:59 am »

I really think that the golems should be constructed from anything, and that you could choose the materials.
inb4 blue stuff golems, you could do soap golems for fun, or pick a material just for the color. (and more important, the golem HAS to be named after his material)

I have been trying this golem thing in adventure mode (an action to create golem ally out of stone) because i really like to have a buildable army out of stone, it will be so dwarfy

Maybe they need to have some kind of simple hauling capabilities/cleaning

Other things i have thought for golems is that the size could be related to the quantities of materials to make them (i think 4 default sizes):
1 single metal bar (or stone, or whatever) could make a tiny golem (not so good at combat, like a dog or cat)
5 bars make a golem (normal one) very similar to a dwarf
20 make some thing like a bronze colossus (but a little nerfed perhaps)
and 250 stones make an uber-golem, something so brute and big that the ground trembles before him, and foes and friends alike die under his walk

Other things to note:
golemcrafting maybe is related to (now gone i think) alchemy skill
needs to have a building (something like an bloodanvil or sacrifical altar, that leads to...)
lifes needed to feed the creation (maybe elves for wooden golems)
moods for create artifact golems
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:30:56 am by Mechanist »

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 08:33:55 am »

I really think that the golems should be constructed from anything, and that you could choose the materials.
inb4 blue stuff golems, you could do soap golems for fun, or pick a material just for the color. (and more important, the golem HAS to be named after his material)

I have been trying this golem thing in adventure mode (an action to create golem ally out of stone) because i really like to have a buildable army out of stone, it will be so dwarfy

Maybe they need to have some kind of simple hauling capabilities/cleaning

Other things i have thought for golems is that the size could be related to the quantities of materials to make them (i think 4 default sizes):
1 single metal bar (or stone, or whatever) could make a tiny golem (not so good at combat, like a dog or cat)
5 bars make a golem (normal one) very similar to a dwarf
20 make some thing like a bronze colossus (but a little nerfed perhaps)
and 250 stones make an uber-golem, something so brute and big that the ground trembles before him, and foes and friends alike die under his walk

Other things to note:
golemcrafting maybe is related to (now gone i think) alchemy skill
needs to have a building (something like an bloodanvil or sacrifical altar, that leads to...)
lifes needed to feed the creation (maybe elves for wooden golems)
moods for create artifact golems

Although this is all stuff I REALLY want to do, AFAIK it is impossible to make a reaction that results in a creature or animal. can't remember the thread, but if I find it I will post a link.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 08:58:30 am »

Serpentine, because it's my favorite stone in real life.  Bauxite is great for fire immunity...  or lignite for fire superiority.

VDOgamez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 02:13:38 pm »

We already have uranium ore in the form of pitchblende: "Uraninite is a radioactive, uranium-rich mineral and ore with a chemical composition that is largely UO2, but also contains UO3 and oxides of lead, thorium, and rare earth elements. It is most commonly known as pitchblende."

I guess if you wanted pure military-grade uranium you could mod in a uranium enrichment workshop?
Plutonium Golem. There's only one sure-fire way to kill it, but you'd be hard-pressed to dig a deep enough fortress to survive its death throes.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 04:13:54 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55259.0

I vaguely remember having a couple discussions with people on my modding guide thread/wiki about creatures and reactions making them.

It's been quite a while since I've done anything with DF, so some things could've changed, but... it happens. :P
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!
Pages: 1 [2] 3