Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Advanced weapons systems.  (Read 14891 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced weapons systems.
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 06:18:53 pm »

That depends.  Does string have a [GRIP] tag?

And what happens when the [GRIP]ed string is plugged into a mace-head [SOCKET]?

No, string would not have [GRIP] tag, they would be silly. You don't hold the blade of a knife, so knife blades don't have [GRIP] either, it's not hard.

Thats why plugs and sockets are type specific. A string dosn't fit into a mace head... It wouldn't do anything.

Write the code for it and see what your system can handle. That's the only way to find out.

[COMPONENT:SLING]
   [SIZE:35]
   [LEATHER]
   [GRIP]
   [RANGED:THROWER:STONE]
   [ATTACK:BLUNT: MISC_WEAPON:100:1000:hit:hits:NO_SUB:1000]

There is a sling.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 09:21:49 am »

Perhaps you could simply add a requirement to be filled, for an attack to be valid.

So, have the ranged attack on the stick anyway, and make it require the string slot to be filled. Also, let a socket "fill" every socket on the socketed item.
As in, the socket on the stick has a "nofurtherattach" tag type thingie, which tells DF that no further stuff can be attached to the string.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 04:49:14 pm »

I guess that would work, but I don't see why you woul need too...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 10:23:21 pm »

I support the basic idea of this thread, however...

I disagree with the idea that each component of a weapon should have to be produced seperately and then assembled in an additional reaction; or at least I don't support that as the only option for assembling weapons (I will explain what I mean shortly).

I would prefer to be able to call for the entire weapon to be built at once by first selecting the type of weapon to be built from the menu for the relevant workshop, and then selecting materials from which to build each part of the weapon from a series of additional menus that would then come up, in a manner similar to that currently used for constructing buildings, walls, and traction benches. Now, the only problem with my proposal is that it could not be handled in the manager screen without overhauling the interface, and so for this reason it would by necessity have to exist side-by-side with something more similar to Max's original proposal.

The basic idea, however, is completely solid. personally I believe that, (possibly in combination with some custom reactions) it would help relieve some of the shortfalls and limitations that were introduced as a side-effect of the current weapon system (it could, for one thing, allow heat and cold based custom weapons to be re-instituted without burning or freezing the wielder)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2011, 06:25:58 am »

Damn, that's a necro. Anyway, You're right, Bohandas. People should be able to produce the weapons with one click. A solution to the manager problem (and the possible annoyance with having to define every material every time) is to have an additional "design a weapon" option and just queue building a weapon design that you have named, instead of this.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2011, 06:35:41 am »

Awaken my thread, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am the thread owner; the eternal will of the DF player, and that you have been created to serve me.

Hmm, well if you guys realy want one step weapon making... Who am I to object? Personaly I am a fan of the harder the better, but what ever.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 08:24:36 am »

Damn, that's a necro.

You do realize that the last post before mine was less than a month ago, right? in my opinion its not a necro unless you see that warning about "this thread has not been posted on in such-and-such amount of days, why don't you consider starting a new thread on the topic..."
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2011, 11:02:40 am »

Hmm, well if you guys realy want one step weapon making... Who am I to object? Personaly I am a fan of the harder the better, but what ever.

Because equipping your archers shouldn't be a 9 step process for the player:

1) Mandate 30 arrow heads (forge)
2) Mandate 30 arrow shafts (carpentry)
3) Mandate 30 arrow fletchings (bower)
4) Mandate 10 bowstrings (craftshop)
5) Mandate 10 bows (bower)
6) Construct 30 arrows from pieces (bower)
7) Construct 10 bows from pieces (bower)
8] Designate new squad
9) Designate squad equipment

Where steps 1, 2, 3, and 6 are performed ad nausium if you want more than 3 arrows per dwarf.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2011, 03:41:52 pm »

1) Mandate 30 arrow heads (forge)
2) Mandate 30 arrow shafts (carpentry)
3) Mandate 30 arrow fletchings (bower)
4) Mandate 10 bowstrings (craftshop)
5) Mandate 10 bows (bower)
6) Construct 30 arrows from pieces (bower)
7) Construct 10 bows from pieces (bower)
8] Designate new squad
9) Designate squad equipment
No realy, that sounds enjoyable to me. That is something I'm up for. I thought with the mindset of 'losing is fun' more people would be up for something that requires more managment.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2011, 04:02:47 pm »

No realy, that sounds enjoyable to me. That is something I'm up for. I thought with the mindset of 'losing is fun' more people would be up for something that requires more managment.

I hope you like wrist surgery.

We're up for more management with a reason.  Requiring that we build arrow heads, shafts, and fletching before we can have arrows is completely pointless as none of those items have other uses.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 04:08:02 pm by Draco18s »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2011, 04:34:02 pm »

1) Do you mean to imply that addition of a longer production chain will result in carpel tunnel syndrome? In all honesty, do you beleive this to be true?

2) Crafts: Made to be sold. Arrow heads: Made to be put on arrows.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2011, 04:46:28 pm »

1) Do you mean to imply that addition of a longer production chain will result in carpel tunnel syndrome? In all honesty, do you beleive this to be true?

How else do you specify that your dwarves make arrow heads?  Why through numerous keypresses on the various workshops or through the manager.

2) Crafts: Made to be sold. Arrow heads: Made to be put on arrows.

Crafts exist as a trade item, yes, but arrow heads serve no purpose except to make arrows (so why not just skip strait to the arrow?)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2011, 04:50:15 pm »

How else do you specify that your dwarves make arrow heads?  Why through numerous keypresses on the various workshops or through the manager.
The same way you do everything. Through numerous keypresses on the various workshops or through the manager. Compair this to building a ramp stack. This isn't going to be causing RSI.

Crafts exist as a trade item, yes, but arrow heads serve no purpose except to make arrows (so why not just skip strait to the arrow?)
To add complexity and therefor challenge to making arrows, and as making arrows would be part of the game, add complexity and challenge to the game.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2011, 04:57:06 pm »

One.  Very.  Simple.  Question:

Why does "making arrows" need to be difficult?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2011, 05:00:21 pm »

One. Very. Simple. Answer.

Because difficult is good.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7