Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Advanced weapons systems.  (Read 14888 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced weapons systems.
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 07:49:35 pm »

Well I'm sure if you were good enough, then getting a flick motion with a spear head on the end of a chain could cause it to stab somebody. It wouldn't be the first time it happened in a game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And yes, the point is that the only differance between hitting somebody with the shaft of a spear and the shaft of a pike is the weight, so it should use the same skill. So a skill like 'staff bashing', or something of a better name would be required, while using the spear end to stab would be 'speardorf', so if you trained up a legendary speardoft, then game him a pike, he would still be able to use to to a good level with the shaft, he would just need to get used to the pikes specific attacks.

And is it not like this in real life? If you take two people, one who had been trained with a spear, but never held a pike, and one who had never held a weapon, then the spear user would pick up on using the pike a lot faster then the untrained guy.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 12:41:37 am »

Just FYI:
Those pictures are entirely fantasy and fall in under the Rule of Cool, not as any legitimate weapon.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 12:57:46 am »

Those pictures are entirely fantasy and fall in under the Rule of Cool, not as any legitimate weapon.
It wouldn't be the first time it happened in a game.
You don't say...

So I can put it in the same file as fluffy wambler, adamantine and dwarf?

Although that first one does remind me of a real life weapon.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2010, 01:13:10 am »

It wouldn't be the first time it happened in a game.
it would be more realistic

Very realistic right up until the complete BS Fantasy Cool weapons.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2010, 01:30:41 am »

BS fantasy cool weapons are more realistic then weapons being treated with a single set of propertys. Assuming somebody made these weapons, and another had the super human ability to use them, there is nothing unrealistic about them (Well apart from the magical powers, but I never aasked for them, did I?), sso in a world where demons pour out if you dig too deep, and bogey men try to catch you at night, it isn't a strech to assume somebody could make them.

All of the above weapons are very realistic. All could be made, just none could be used by a human, we lack the skill, reflexes and anatomy to use them, so if sharp metal on the end of chains is your biggest worry, I don't see what the fuss is.

Anyway, I never asked for BS weapons in the vanilla raws, this would just allow modders to throw them in if they wanted. It would, however, make current ingame weapons a lot more realistic. Read the suggestion, in never asks for fantasy weapons, just an improvment to current systems.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2010, 06:23:19 pm »

<3's for the Max White and his brilliant suggestions.

With this in mind, a spearman using the same axemen, both with the same polearm, with differing heads, the only differance they would notice is in the weighted end, so a good weapon user would easily be able to adapt, through change in direction, force, or stance.

The axemen, however, would not be trained to handle the stabbing motion that the spearman aculaly uses with the spear head, just as the spearmen would not be able to use the axe head's weight to any effectivness, so when the weapon heads are involved, thats when specific skills come in, and therefor the best way to emulate this is by attaching attacks to the weapon parts, rather then weapons.

Frikkin' tits, dood.  You present a wonderful example of how your suggested system could actually help with skill synergy when it comes to weapons.  :3  I think this suggestion could really work.  I think some martial artists with familiarity with all manner of weaponry might need to be consulted, though to get some concrete answers about the behaviors of some weapons...  It's one thing to read and speculate about the properties of a weapon.  It's another to actually practice its use, an yet another thing to actually practice its use in a combat (or simulated combat) setting.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 02:30:03 pm »

<- sort of martial artist. Total of 7 years hands&feet, and dabbling to talented skill in quite a few weapons.

That reminds me of one thing, by the way. Bows. What is the weapon head? How will it be recognized as a bow? Because there's a string strung between two ends of a stick? Does it take the shape of the stick into account? (Trust me, you do not want to mess with the weight distribution of the stick too much)

One solution I can think of is to let one item type have multiple ways to be attached. A string could be like a lighter, weaker chain, but it could also be a bowstring. A chain, on the other hand, could also pose as one damned stupid bowstring :P

Of course, if you have that, you'd either need to make the entire stick part (I don't know the official name, actually) out of one object using one socket, or you'd need some way to attach the same object to another object in multiple connections, which tends to wreak havoc on data structures used in such things.

I've been getting progressively harder to understand while typing this, I think, so I'll just shut up now before I arglebarghle. Fleep.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 04:45:46 pm »

Hmm, that's a good point.
In theory, the bow would contain a single string socket that the string plugs into, so that part isn't tricky. But what off the off handed grip rule?

An [OFFHAND] tag, on the grip could easily solve this problem. It would also allow for this system to be extended to sheilds. IF we did extend this system to sheilds, then we could give swords a block chance, and an epee (If made in vanilla or modded in) could have a better chance to parry and block attacks, while sheilds would also gain there own attacks, so you could bash with your sheild and have size and mass taken into effect.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 05:29:12 pm »

And which part of the bow is the attack linked to? Because a bow without a string can't shoot, but a string without a bow also can't shoot.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 05:34:54 pm »

A string without a bow does not have a [GRIP] tag, and can not be used as a weapon.
A bow without a string does not have a ranged attack, and can not be used to shoot arrows.

If somebody modded strings to have [GRIP] then a string could shoot arrows on its own, but that would be silly, and we can't stop modders from doing strange things with the raws.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 09:51:15 pm »

There was a thread that had suggestions such this, sorta, there was mention of puffer fish + stick = weapon.

I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 12:51:05 am »

A string without a bow does not have a [GRIP] tag, and can not be used as a weapon.
A bow without a string does not have a ranged attack, and can not be used to shoot arrows.

If somebody modded strings to have [GRIP] then a string could shoot arrows on its own, but that would be silly, and we can't stop modders from doing strange things with the raws.

i'd like to point out that this would be a pretty good example of a sling, though. It'd just fire slingstones instead of arrows.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 01:50:54 am »

i'd like to point out that this would be a pretty good example of a sling, though. It'd just fire slingstones instead of arrows.

So what your saying is that my system can handle slings? Well that's a good thing...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 11:54:15 am »

So what your saying is that my system can handle slings? Well that's a good thing...

That depends.  Does string have a [GRIP] tag?

And what happens when the [GRIP]ed string is plugged into a mace-head [SOCKET]?

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 12:37:20 pm »

Write the code for it and see what your system can handle. That's the only way to find out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7