Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Glory of your Completed Cities  (Read 4454 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: The Glory of your Completed Cities
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 09:10:28 am »

WOW that is somer seriously epic stuff.  The "finger or Armok" made me "lol" quite heartily, and "Hallowing out a mountain cause its Dwarf Fortress" is such a perfect encapsulation of the spirit of the game :D

Although I am more curious about phalerite's City/ Reading some of that it sounds like there is some seriously advanced machines, got to wonder about how those work, especially the "kid sorter" engine.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 10:47:00 am »

Although I am more curious about phalerite's City/ Reading some of that it sounds like there is some seriously advanced machines, got to wonder about how those work, especially the "kid sorter" engine.
Unfortunately the kid sorter is impossible in the current version.  In 40d all adults were the same size, and all children were the same size, and when a child became an adult its size would change instantly from the child size to the adult size.  This made it easy to use weight-sensitive pressure plates to filter children from adults.  In the current version size varies from creature to creature, and children seem to gradually increase in size as they grow up, which makes it impossible to build a reliable child-sorting device.  I haven't bothered trying to recreate the animal breeding engine or the trash incinerator because of the changes in butchering in the current version.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 01:23:55 pm »

Pagedslipped was my magnificent 40d city/megaproject.  A 40+ level tall hollow glass pyramid, with all the living quarters, workshops, production halls, and other rooms housed in glass buildings attached to the inner surface.  On the bottom-most floor of the pyramid was a great circular magma moat, with the many glass furnaces and other magma-powered industries atop it, and in the center was a deep water cistern fed by the underground river.  Out of the front of the pyramid ran a 90 tile long retracting bridge trap which would fling entire sieges into deep kill pits flanking it, and conveyor belt assemblies made from arrays of retracting bridges at the bottoms of the pits would then convey the goblinite into safe collection areas under the pyramid.

Pagedslipped housed many experimental pieces of high-tech machinery.  An automated breeding engine housed 12 pairs of wild rabbits, with a water logic computer counting them and sending any excess adults to a drop shaft with a refuse stockpile and butcher's shops at the bottom.  This created an automatic supply of meat and bones for my dwarves.  Shortly before I stopped working on the fortress I installed a second breeding engine using wild camels.  Three automatic magma incinerators dealt with waste from the butchering operation, again without needing any micro-managing from me.  As mentioned above, I built a large array of drawbridges to fling goblinite from the kill pits into a safe collection area under the fortress.  I also made clever use of pressure plates to automatically separate children from the general population and divert them into a 'boarding school', an isolated sub-fortress where they would live until they reached adulthood and would then be automatically returned to the general population.

Here's an outside shot of the not quite finished fortress:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's a shot from inside, looking up at the roof:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've always avoided serious mechanization of my forts due to FPS concerns from the requisite flowing water logic computing. How much average fps did this fort achieve near its end?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 03:28:49 pm »

Mentioning Truely epic "finished" forts, I figured it needed to said:

UNDERGROTTO
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 06:10:58 pm »

I've always avoided serious mechanization of my forts due to FPS concerns from the requisite flowing water logic computing. How much average fps did this fort achieve near its end?
In the end it was down to about 7-8 FPS, with a noticeable ride and drop in speed in sync with the action of the bridge-conveyor.  That was about when I stopped playing that fortress - it was taking forever to get anything done, I had accomplished everything I'd set out to do, and DF2010 was out and beckoning.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 08:28:09 pm »

I was getting less than one FPS when I stopped playing mine. And even then I only stopped because I ran out of ideas.

Neat thing was that 31.1 was released the next day.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2010, 04:52:38 am »

I swear, people who play DF make better megaproject then minecrafters; don't get me wrong there's cool shit in minecraft, but the work to make shit in this game is 10X longer.... Well then again it does take forever dropping 1 block at a time.... guess that's why most megaprojects are done on a server in minecraft now.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2010, 10:33:40 am »

'course a big advantage DF has is that it's more freeer than Minecraft.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2010, 12:24:01 pm »

'course a big advantage DF has is that it's more freeer than Minecraft.

It also has a significantly richer amount of content. 
As limited as the mechanics in DF can feel at times, their utility is positively verbose compared to redstone circuits (whose only real utility comes from using Minecraft's mine carts as a model railroad, and that's not changing until block ownership is in SMP).
There are a grand total of 8 mobs in the whole game, vs DF's comparatively absurd number of animals both dangerous and domestic.
There are a very limited number of block types in Minecraft to DF's [how many materials is it now?]
Etcetera
Pages: 1 [2]